PDA

View Full Version : tempted to start collecting. a few questions.

Boss Zagstruk
01-12-2013, 15:33
I have played lotr sbg in the past around the time of the films and I tried again when they released the 5 sourse books but life got in the way. Anyway id like to try again. I like the look of all the mirkwood elves so id like to start there. What rulebook do I need? As far as im aware the new book is a sourse book and I need the hobbit rulebook,correct? Is it also intended to be used for lotr sbg or are they 2 seperate games? Also is the hobbit a more scenario based game or can you do pitched battles at diffedent point lvls? Also any idea of what else will come in this source book in future months? Thanks

Creaky
01-12-2013, 17:28
You'll need the Hobbit An Unexpected Journey Rulebook (Hardback or the smaller one from the Escape from Goblin Town box set will do) and the new Desolation of Smaug expansion. This would be enough to do Mirkwood (and anything else currently in the Hobbit). Lord of the Rings is the same game, just different branding - you can freely use, for instance, Mirkwood allied with Gondor without worrying about anything. It's all one game.

Right now, as of AUJ, the Hobbit doesn't have nearly as many options for larger pitched battles as LotR, but that's mainly because there wasn't much of that going on in AUJ, and hasn't had the time that the LotR factions have had to be built up over the years with new units. Even so, the Hobbit books would enable you to build decent sized armies of Erebor Dwarves, Hunter Orcs, Goblins and now Mirkwood Elves, plus the other things in there too. There are Scenarios, of course, but they're not essential for either the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings.

As for your last point... well that much depends on what's in the movie, and if GW decide to do it. They were very thorough with AUJ, so we can expect more Orcs, The Necromancer, etc. Basically Dol Guldur and Laketown I would bet on being playable armies, within the next twelve months. :)

Gorthaur
01-12-2013, 20:24
You'll need the Hobbit An Unexpected Journey Rulebook (Hardback or the smaller one from the Escape from Goblin Town box set will do) and the new Desolation of Smaug expansion. This would be enough to do Mirkwood (and anything else currently in the Hobbit). Lord of the Rings is the same game, just different branding - you can freely use, for instance, Mirkwood allied with Gondor without worrying about anything. It's all one game.

Right now, as of AUJ, the Hobbit doesn't have nearly as many options for larger pitched battles as LotR, but that's mainly because there wasn't much of that going on in AUJ, and hasn't had the time that the LotR factions have had to be built up over the years with new units. Even so, the Hobbit books would enable you to build decent sized armies of Erebor Dwarves, Hunter Orcs, Goblins and now Mirkwood Elves, plus the other things in there too. There are Scenarios, of course, but they're not essential for either the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings.

As for your last point... well that much depends on what's in the movie, and if GW decide to do it. They were very thorough with AUJ, so we can expect more Orcs, The Necromancer, etc. Basically Dol Guldur and Laketown I would bet on being playable armies, within the next twelve months. :)

They didn't have all that many releases since they released the starter box and now the DoS stuff. I would hope they would keep putting more stuff out but if they aren't making enough money maybe not. I'd bet options for larger battles would be a year from now when the final film with the big battle comes out, we will see iron hills dwarves, new orc/goblin troops i'd hope.

Whitwort Stormbringer
03-12-2013, 02:42
I think it's worth pointing out that if you don't expect to play in a GW store, or official tournaments of any kind, then you may be just fine without the Hobbit rulebook - whatever older rulebook you have (probably the hardcover "One Rule Book") will work just fine with the new Mirkwood profiles, too. You will want the new sourcebook, however, or else you won't have their profiles.

But, if you think you'll be looking to join an existing gaming group, there's a fair chance they've moved on to the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey rulebook.

Any which way, it's worth finding out before you drop $80 or whatever on a big rule book, when you may already own one that is sufficient.

EvilBlackMagicDarkness
03-12-2013, 11:25
Bear in mind that many of their miniatures are now out of production, with more being lost regularly.

Valaraukar
03-12-2013, 12:45
There is a free pdf here:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3620010a_HeroesandvillainsofMiddle-earth.pdf

with points values and profiles for all of the unexpected journey miniatures. The new ones are in the desolation of smaug expansion book.

You can use the rules from your old source books as LOTR sbg and the hobbit are essentially the same game so profiles etc. are compatible although the new hobbit unexpected journey rulebook has updated and tweaked the rules and also includes the profiles and points in that pdf plus profiles without points values for the LOTR models, scenarios for the first film plus scenarios covering the LOTR films and 12 scenarios for points value matches and rules for how to do these. The smaller rulebook only has 6 of the points value scenarios and none of the LOTR or hobbit ones or the profiles or points values but you can use your old source books for none hobbit models.

Boss Zagstruk
03-12-2013, 16:31
Thanks for the help guys. Gonna hopefully get a rulebook off ebay cheap. Ive seen the mini rulebooks on ebay but I do prefer the large versions. I think ill start a small rivendell and lothlorien collection. Then get the new mirkwood elves. Any advice on which rivendell characters are Best to use? I like Glorfindel but elrond seems better being able to use magic. There both expensive... down the line ill decide on an evil force. Thanks

Valaraukar
03-12-2013, 18:46
Gilgalad is a beast and there's a set with him and elrond in!

Whitwort Stormbringer
05-12-2013, 17:32
It seems worth pointing out that, since GW put up a pdf containing all of the profiles from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey rulebook, you'd be saving money if you just downloaded and printed that, and bought the rule manual that comes in Escape From Goblin Town on the cheap somewhere.

Valaraukar
05-12-2013, 21:35
Although you would miss most of the scenarios and the rules for points matches amongst a few other bits and pieces not in the mini rulebook.

Whitwort Stormbringer
07-12-2013, 16:32
That's true, although for points matches I'm sure you could get along just fine without. If the scenarios in the book are that valuable to you, though, then you might spring for it.

Spider-pope
08-12-2013, 07:53

It should be pointed out that when The Hobbit range was being developed, there were only going to be two films. Then came the pretty much last minute decision to make it 3. As such it's understandable that there were limited releases for the first year, because who knows what would have been released had it stayed just the two films.

This year should hopefully see more releases, with the story ramping up towards the climatic third part. As for the specifics of the releases, i'll have to wait till i see the second film. Do you reckon' i can put it down as a business expense if i say it's research for future products to sell?

I would certainly advise purchasing a copy of the rule book, either big or mini now that the profiles have been released, because there were a fair few changes to the rules regarding monsters and other bits and pieces. Can't comment on the Sourcebook yet, because i've not read it. Oh and if you ever venture near GW Liverpool Boss Zagstruk i'd happily get beaten by you.