PDA

View Full Version : New to Warhammer

Chaosfire
02-12-2013, 01:44
So I bought Island of Blood last may and have been practicing warhammer before I started a proper army. So far I only have the units from the box set so I am not too invested in any one army. What are peoples thoughts on an army for a new player (it can be an army aside from HE or Skaven).

boli
02-12-2013, 09:13
It really depends what you are after

What is your gaming meta like:

- Who will you play against or are you only after the painting side of things?;
- If you have access to opponents what sort will they be; casual players in a shop/friends tournaments or are your friends/shop still at the "just started/thinking of starting phase"
- What sort of points level are we talking about; some gaming meta is all about 1.5k others 2.5k some even much much higher.

What sort of army grabs your fancy?

- A horde / lots of model armies or more small and elite?
- You want to choose the best army because it is the best or are you willing to play the underdog.
- which model range do you *really* like? http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp
- Are you interested in the cheapest possible alternatives or are willing to invest?

I know that may seem like a massive list of questions but your own question was extremely vague :)

liddan
02-12-2013, 09:40
Thinking about questions boli mentioned are a good start. Naturally some armies require more time painting/modelling and monetary investment.

I think the most important thing is if you're interested in any army based on the models and the lore. If you're not passionate about what army you're collecting then amassing a warhammer army is a daunting task.

No army in warhammer is so horrible that I would suggest you shouldn't bother unless you're goal is to get tournament top positions :)

fiRE120
02-12-2013, 12:24
Aside from what has already been said, I, also a newconer would advise you to at least limit your options on armies with a shhoting and a magic phase as it can get really frustrating without one or both of those. But other than that going to your local gw and talking to guys there also couldn't hurt.

facepalm
02-12-2013, 17:22
Honestly forget about which army is the easiest to play or most beginner friendly by the time you've played a handful of games and read posts on these forums you will be at a similar level to your average casual gamer.

2 main questions, ask your self which army grabs your attention when you look at them and calls for you to play them, and if there's a tie then pick the one that is easier to paint as this if often a much bigger challenge for new players then learning how to play. For ever 1 army ive seen fully painted ive seen at least 2 half or even less than that finished, most of the time this isn't down to it being a new army and in progress just people who lose the will to finish painting the models they bought and this is alot less likely to happen if you really love the models you've bought.

stortotta
03-12-2013, 13:29
Honestly forget about which army is the easiest to play or most beginner friendly by the time you've played a handful of games and read posts on these forums you will be at a similar level to your average casual gamer.

2 main questions, ask your self which army grabs your attention when you look at them and calls for you to play them, and if there's a tie then pick the one that is easier to paint as this if often a much bigger challenge for new players then learning how to play. For ever 1 army ive seen fully painted ive seen at least 2 half or even less than that finished, most of the time this isn't down to it being a new army and in progress just people who lose the will to finish painting the models they bought and this is alot less likely to happen if you really love the models you've bought.

That's probably the best advice you will get. A painted army, especially a well-painted army, has already won when it's time to set up agains an unpainted one. Besides, with the 8th ed army books, all armies are more or less equal. Ppl on the interwebz usually proclaim that an army is overpowered or that it sucks, based on mathhammer alone, but in the hands of a good player, most armies can beat any other given army. Of course, there are exeptions, and luck often plays a big part, but picking the army you like the looks of the best is usually the right move.

InstantKarma
03-12-2013, 18:46
So I bought Island of Blood last may and have been practicing warhammer before I started a proper army. So far I only have the units from the box set so I am not too invested in any one army. What are peoples thoughts on an army for a new player (it can be an army aside from HE or Skaven).

For goodness sakes do not play another horde army! Oh, and welcome to Warseer:D

Chaosfire
08-12-2013, 17:33
So I picked up a few army books keeping in mind the look of the army and the playability. As of now I have books for high elves dark elves and skaven. I am thinking that the next step I will take is create lists with all three armies to see which one I like better then the other two.

Fighting Newfoundlander
09-12-2013, 04:18
That sounds like a wise call - but as others have said, keep the painting in mind. Skaven will involve painting a lot of rats, so if that idea doesn't appeal to you, I'd go with an elf army. Lot less models to paint before you start having games.