PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar Match-ups, the good and the bad

Kingrick
02-12-2013, 16:41
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what your opinion was on this. I feel like DE match up well against quite a few armies, but not so well against heavier shooting armies such as Tau and Imperial guard. What are your thoughts?

Vaktathi
02-12-2013, 17:05
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what your opinion was on this. I feel like DE match up well against quite a few armies, but not so well against heavier shooting armies such as Tau and Imperial guard. What are your thoughts?

This is largely correct.

Dark Eldar do very well against elite opponents, the bigger and nastier something is, the better they do with it. They've got all sorts of ways to outmaneuver, outshoot, and hamstring such enemies. DE love facing armies with small but very powerful opponents.

What DE do poorly is against quantity based opponents. Many of their abilities and wargear are wasted against such units (e.g. paying for I5/I6 against IG and tau, or Lances against massed AV12 or Poison against T3 models), while the large amounts of "weeny" firepower (Strength 3/4/5/6 stuff that's Ap-/5/6) that such armies can put out, while relatively mild to many elite armies, absolutely devastates Dark Eldar.

A mechanized IG squad, for example, is a perfect anti-Dark Eldar unit. The Chimera especially so, as it's cheap and can be taken in quantity putting pressure on , and its frontal AV12 means that Lance effect DE pay for is largely wasted, while its return firepower can penetrate any vehicle the DE have and can inflict ID on DE troops (ignoring their FNP as well). The infantry meanwhle are rather weeny, but so are the DE, so the IG's S3 lasguns can actually do something, while their heavier weapons are very effective, and the DE return fire is rather unimpressive (woohoo wound guardsmen on 4's) or is just way more powerful and expensive than it needs to be, and their CC units are similarly overkill (woohoo I6 versus...I3...). And of course all the IG units are notably cheaper than their DE counterparts.