PDA

View Full Version : Does the explosion of content imply a new army?

SpanielBear
03-12-2013, 11:24
Now hear me out...
All these expansions, data slates, supplements and so forth are all covering existing models. No new releases for the most part. Furthermore, in the case of things like Be'Lakor, it is a case of bringing out rules for pre-existing models that sort of don't fit, or were overlooked in other updates.
Along with all this, we have actual codexes positively galloping to be released ever since 6th was launched. It is not beyond the realms of possibility to imagine that we could see all core armies released by this time next year (especially if necrons and dark Eldar are left in their current editions, due to having recently updated codexes and models in comparison to others).

So unless GW plan on releasing seventh edition straight after (not impossible, but a little odd if they have bothered updating the majority of codexes), that leaves at least 6 months with nothing new and shiny to sell.

Unless we see a new faction appear.

I know that is far from the usual doom and gloom predictions, but there's got to be one person (I.e, me) running round with a shining face full of hope and naiveté. Otherwise who is going to be the one to get horribly broken by the realities of a war torn universe?

duffybear1988
03-12-2013, 11:33
What races are there left that could be incorporated? Or rather what would those races offer 40K? Squats probably won't come back so really what is there that could be fitted into 40K? Mercenaries? You can do that with allies and these new formations far easier than a whole new codex.

We have -

Evil robots
Manga aliens
Good marines
Bad marines
Good space elves
Bad space elves
Alien monsters
Humans
Orks
Religious nuts
Daemons

What would any new race bring to the table that isn't already covered?

SpanielBear
03-12-2013, 11:45
well,

Mechanicus (steampunk/clockwork robots, more gothic imagery)
Hrud (shadows and de-buffs, not necessarily rat-men)
Monsters from the Id (going into more depth on say the Enslavers or whatever it is the Imperium is so scared of in the rogue stars. Slave races and a different sort of gribbly to the 'nids)
Exodites (because hey, elves, lasers and dinosaurs and a market base dedicated to 12 year olds. Need we say more?)
Demiurge (totally not squats, honest. Now respect my ancestors and stop treading on my beard!)
Pirates (corsairs, loxatl, rogues and assorted aliens.)

Or whatever other tiny piece of fluff they choose to expand on. I hardly think we're in a situation where 40k is going to stagnate due to a lack of potential ideas. Hell, it could just be more power armoured dudes of chapter eleventy-twelve, but it would still be new, if hardly original. I just think that with the speed of updated rules, and the reduction in released models, it could be something is brewing.

Weazel
03-12-2013, 11:46
God no, the race balance is screwed enough as is, no need to stir it further with any new (or old) races. I'm sure they'll fill any gap before 7th with supplements and whatnot. There are still 8 codices needing a proper 6th edition update (not counting Adepta Sororitas) so there's not going to be a long downtime before 7th if they keep the current 4 year cycle.

Beppo1234
03-12-2013, 12:32
God no, the race balance is screwed enough as is, no need to stir it further with any new (or old) races. I'm sure they'll fill any gap before 7th with supplements and whatnot. There are still 8 codices needing a proper 6th edition update (not counting Adepta Sororitas) so there's not going to be a long downtime before 7th if they keep the current 4 year cycle.

uhh, adding more races, new or old, would bring more balance to race, not the other way around.

DeathGlam
03-12-2013, 13:11
Yes hopefully, the more choice the better, id especially love a merceneries style pirate force :D

BTJ
03-12-2013, 13:18

Well at the current rate that's enough to last until halfway in to 2015, so I can see a new army. Maybe.

IcedCrow
03-12-2013, 13:24
Yes hopefully, the more choice the better, id especially love a merceneries style pirate force :D

You mean dark eldar :)

Mack
03-12-2013, 13:28
I don't think you would see a rehash of anything that happened prior in the 40k history. That leaves a new, not yet discovered race or army. mercenary is a bit lack luster as there really isn't enough to sustain an entire codex. The allies rules already kind of fits that. Pirates again, can be portrayed with an allied list.

What about a Kroot codex? They are a race, that while allied with the Tau, have a ton of potential, and maybe worhty of their own dex. The thing they lack is technology, and while the orks are somewhat primitive, they still have technology. Kroot could field plenty of MC's to fill the heavy slot, and have several options for fast, but they are only 1 troop choice, so not sure they are viable.

Beyond that, what kind of "new" race would GW think they are missing out of their current lineup? I am just not sure I see a need or a demand for a new race that isn't already covered in the existing armies.

Perhaps a mercenary codex is the best choice. It could offer several troop choices pulling from the many races already in play. I could see Humans, Orks, Kroot, Eldar/Dark Eldar (maybe even Tau) as viable races that could go rogue. The technology could be a mix of cross race technology as what tends to happens with mercenaries who work with other races and create their own unique weaponry. Still not sure it couldn't be covered by just using ally rules.

DeathGlam
03-12-2013, 13:32
You mean dark eldar :)

Sure if you want the only pirates in the galaxy to be one race, i love my Dark Eldar but i don't think of them as a Pirate force, rather that is one part of of what some of them get up to.

Edit: What i mean by Pirates is a Dogs of War from fantasy style of 40k army, so a leader and his crew plus a bunch of various races in his pay, sure you can do that with allies just about but id still love a ruleset that allows them their own unique special rules and style of play.

IcedCrow
03-12-2013, 13:35
Going by GWs design in the past, they don't typically like to copy themes though.

Zingraff
03-12-2013, 13:35
As an Imperial Guard player, I wouldn't mind if they released a new, reasonably weak horde army. I've found it's more fun to play against armies that are in the same weight class as me, so I'd appreciate if they added more human/Tau equivalents to the game.

Chem-Dog
03-12-2013, 13:53
I see it as a very real possibility.

What races are there left that could be incorporated?

There are quite a few named xenos factions that really only exist in the background that can be fleshed out to make a new Codex. Without getting into naming every last alien race that's mentioned there are a couple of distinct tabletop profiles that are yet to be properly explored, 40K doesn't have an equivalent of Ogre Kingdoms, for example. I'm not saying I see room for Codex: Ogryn, but a Codex that features a 40mm base three wound model as it's default standard trooper would be something different for 40K, similarly something that uses swarms as it's standard unit would be a departure from anything that's been done before.

There's a smattering of notably absent factions in 40K too, Exodites and Adeptus Mechanicus are the most prominent ones that spring to mind.

Personally, I'd like to see a hold-out Non Imperial/Non Chaos Humann faction, and a true AI race.

MusingWarboss
03-12-2013, 14:15
Well they've missed the boat on Space Skaven. Mantic beat them to it.

What I do notice is they like the good/bad armies. Eldar/Dark Eldar, Marines/Chaos Marines etc. Same for fantasy. So instead of a new army it'd be a variation on an existing one.

Heroic robots? Primitive Orks or just Grots? Whatever it is it'd probably just be 40k -> WFB or WFB -> 40k. I don't think they've released a 'new' as in totally left-of-centre army for a decade. Heck even Tau were just a reaction to the rise in popularity of Anime a decade back with a hint of Space Lizard/Gray Alien.

To be honest though, I just can't see it happening not when there FW run armies like Chaos Dwarfs/DKoK or canned armies like Squats. I think it's more likely to be a rash of updates to old models of existing armies or updates to armies like Sisters which need a whole resculpt into plastic.

nosebiter
03-12-2013, 14:21
No.

Once all the armies have been 6th 'ified, we will start see supplements with miniatures released alongside them. Ny guess is they will retire some of the old kits that really need it, and make new ones.

Also maybe start adding new units.

03-12-2013, 14:45
Give me space skaven! (honestly it will never happen but God it would be great). I do not really see a new army coming out, who knows though with GW as I also never thought there would be all the things coming out over this month that are coming out.

The Emperor
03-12-2013, 14:46
Without getting into naming every last alien race that's mentioned there are a couple of distinct tabletop profiles that are yet to be properly explored, 40K doesn't have an equivalent of Ogre Kingdoms, for example. I'm not saying I see room for Codex: Ogryn, but a Codex that features a 40mm base three wound model as it's default standard trooper would be something different for 40K, similarly something that uses swarms as it's standard unit would be a departure from anything that's been done before.

An army which makes lots of use out of Chariots would be nice, too. I think the only Chariot in the game is the Catacomb Command Barge. But yeah, there're quite a bit of choices. My votes would be for...

- Demiurg (I want my God damn Space Dwarves!!! Retcon the Squats out and retcon the Demiurg into the Squat Homeworlds in the galactic center)
- Adeptus Mechanicus
- Exodite Eldar (They're common and easily justify their own Codex)
- Transhumans (Like someone mentioned above, an independent human power would be awesome, so how about a Transhuman civilization, possibly an extragalactic one which settled in another galaxy during the Dark Age of Technology and is now returning to the Milky Way? One in which the populace makes use of heavily nanite augmented bionic bodies or downloaded their personalities into machine bodies (http://futureblogger.net/futureblogger/show/320) which function like the T-1000, as well as making extensive use of AI, and features a lot of STC designs, like Grav Leman Russ Battle Tanks?)

Reticent
03-12-2013, 14:50
They could do a species that was truly alien.

Every existing army is to some extent anthropomorphic, even Tyranids.

pantsukki
03-12-2013, 15:41
What races are there left that could be incorporated? Or rather what would those races offer 40K? Squats probably won't come back so really what is there that could be fitted into 40K? Mercenaries? You can do that with allies and these new formations far easier than a whole new codex.

We have -

Evil robots
Manga aliens
Good marines
Bad marines
Good space elves
Bad space elves
Alien monsters
Humans
Orks
Religious nuts
Daemons

What would any new race bring to the table that isn't already covered?

Evil manga religious daemonic robotic elf monster marines?

Johnnya10
03-12-2013, 15:50
Looking at WFB for inspiration, what about something along the lines of Ogres (obviously 'space' ogres and not that rubbish). Fewer, larger models, all with high toughness and/or multi-wound. It wouldn't be the first time WFB has offered an idea to 40k.

I always liked that idea that there was something chasing the Tyranids that was even more terrifying than the hive fleet. Could be an idea.

I'll admit that I've been wondering how they'll fill the time up. Supplements will only go so far - maybe just new model waves. Speaking of waves, maybe naval assault. ;)

On the other hand, Squats! ;)

Rowenstin
03-12-2013, 15:56
Whatever it is, it'll probably have T4 and a 3+ save.

On a more serious note, if necrons didn't exist a race based on the remnants of the Men of Iron that survived the dark age of technology would be great, but alas we already have our Terminator rip off. And I can't think on any other fictional race that hasn't been grimdarkfied already.

03-12-2013, 15:58

Don't forget immune to fear and cannot fail leadership tests.

MusingWarboss
03-12-2013, 16:42
They could do a species that was truly alien.

Every existing army is to some extent anthropomorphic, even Tyranids.

On a more serious note, if necrons didn't exist a race based on the remnants of the Men of Iron that survived the dark age of technology would be great, but alas we already have our Terminator rip off. And I can't think on any other fictional race that hasn't been grimdarkfied already.

Doctor Who is exceptionally popular and GW hasn't ripped off the Daleks yet!

Where's our 40k army of formally humanoid mutants who live entirely in personal tanks? Oh, Chaos... Right...

Rowenstin
03-12-2013, 16:54
Doctor Who is exceptionally popular and GW hasn't ripped off the Daleks yet!

Where's our 40k army of formally humanoid mutants who live entirely in personal tanks? Oh, Chaos... Right...

Now that I think on it, a borg-type race could fit. Mix it with Mass effect's reapers and it might work; a race that assimilates other species through biological or technological means, turning them into drones. Spice it with some “and I must scream” lore to grimdark it.

MusingWarboss
03-12-2013, 17:09
Now that I think on it, a borg-type race could fit. Mix it with Mass effect's reapers and it might work; a race that assimilates other species through biological or technological means, turning them into drones. Spice it with some “and I must scream” lore to grimdark it.

An army of rogue Servitors? Or old Necromunda Pit Slaves? With added new fluff.

Actually though, that could offer up some interesting rules. Die in H2H combat against one and your miniature turns into one of them. Plus it's a good way to shift more models, as any player would need loads! You could be into a winner here... Well, for GW.

EDIT: Just remembered, wasn't that the whole original premise of the Genestealers/Genestealer Cult? I mean, they didn't get that name for nothing you know!! This was back in the day when they were separate from Tyranids. So I guess GW has been there and... paid homage... to both the look and theme of the Borg.

MusingWarboss
03-12-2013, 17:46
Give me space skaven! (honestly it will never happen but God it would be great). I do not really see a new army coming out, who knows though with GW as I also never thought there would be all the things coming out over this month that are coming out.

Ok, here you go!

http://www.gowarhead.com/p/hammering-warpath.html

Scroll down to Part II. Ok, it's not quite the same but if you want a codex legal army and your friends don't mind it could be a fun project.

For the Squat fans, Part III. Same link. You don't have to use those models, if you have classic squats around.

Flavius_69
03-12-2013, 18:12
40K style Dogs of War would be nice. A army with units representing many different species would allow players to expand there model collections without having to commit to a entire army. Plus, a unit from a entirely new fraction could be included, perhaps paving the way for a new codex in 7th ed.

DoctorTom
03-12-2013, 18:57
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see some "codexes" that aren't more than supplements that can be added as its own detachment to an army, the way Codex: Inquistion does. I could certainly see Adeptus Mechanicus being handled this way. Kroot will probably end up as its own supplement for Tau Empires. The old 3rd edition Harlequin Codex would be about the equivalent of doing a supplement now, and it wouldn't surprise me if at some point they put out new models for supplements (after the main codexes have been updated). I suspect we might see them try doing a few units for a new faction this way, mentioning ally rules for them, and judging their popularity before doing a full blown codex.

I wouldn't mind seeing an Exodite Codex though, or a Demiurg Codex (though I don't see that happening - datascrolls for old models maybe. A Squat biker datasheet that could be included with IG would definitely be fun, especially if there's also a sheet for the model in exo-armor riding a bike.)

gero_nz
03-12-2013, 19:02
I for one would be irritated if they continued to add to the already vast number of armies across both core games, while clearly being unable to regularly update the current ones.

mostlyharmless
03-12-2013, 19:02
In a word: no. This implies nothing. In fact, there was a release this month, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. And last month and the month before were all Dark Elves for Fantasy, because, well, let's face it, the dark elf models needed an update like the Dark Eldar needed at the end of 5th Edition. January will have us back on the release schedule. Remember, GW makes more than just 40k.

Beppo1234
04-12-2013, 18:58
I hope that once they get the body of this new content done (ie. every race is codexed up of 6th + a couple of supplements) they maybe add a trio of new factions by GW or FW, don't really care. There are some obvious ones, like Ad Mech. I hope they get creative and do something new with that too though. But I hope once everything is rounded off, they have some fun with it, or allow for some pretty hilarious builds. Would love to see a squig infestation.

skorczeny
04-12-2013, 20:26
Maybe the explosion of content implies they will start supporting various and different formats of the WH40k game. Something similar to magic the gathering's many formats (legacy, modern, standard, etc). With all the content, there is more material to pick and choose from to develop these formats.

You pick a format and build an army for it, and different meta's exist for different formats. Some units that are not so great in one format are great and useful in another. For example:
'Grim' format: BRB and supplements, but no allies, yes FW, no super heavies, yes formations, etc...
'Dark' format: BRB and codices only - no supplements, no formations, no super heavies, no FW, etc...
'GRIM DARK' format, where its EVERYTHING GOES... super fortifications, super heavies, FW, formations,
'Retro' format: no allies, no fliers, no FW, no supplements, no formations, no super heavies, no super fortifications

Wiseman
05-12-2013, 05:58
Traitor Guard could be a possibility as well, Though i think more then likely it will be an allies supplement, with lots of minifactions to add on to armies, so kroot pirates, eldar corsairs, hrud, rogue trader party, Arbites, just like how inqusition was done.

Losing Command
05-12-2013, 06:33
What the explosion of content mostly implies is that GW finally found out that books with some rules and fluff in them also sell very good, even when it doesn't add a whole lot to already excisting content :rolleyes: Which is nice and all, but I would like a Xenos faction (or just something that isn't marines) in 40k that finally keeps me interested enough to actually play and collect. Eldar have too many phallic shaped weapons, Dark Eldar are over the top SM, Tyranids have no personality's, Tau aren't GrimDark enough, Daemons just don't behave next to my GK on the shelf, I'm not enough of a threadhead for Imperial Guard, Sisters of Battle are like Space Marines but ladies and Orks ... maybe Orks if Kommando's get plastic models with their next codex :p

Zingraff
09-12-2013, 06:51
While I'm clearly in wish-listing territory, a Genestealer Cult codex would have been awesome. It could be used in combination with either Tyranids or Imperial Guard, or stand on its own.

Denny
09-12-2013, 15:55
Eldar have too many phallic shaped weapons

. . . Are you taking about Shuriken catapults, star cannons, or Spinneret Rifles?

Becasue if any of these shapes seem phallic to you I would urge you to visit a urologist.
Now.

Harwammer
09-12-2013, 16:43
Surely the 'explosion of content' means the staff have been working very hard on the content that is currently exploding rageseer, not on a new codex? :confused:

Infern0
09-12-2013, 18:26
Is it possible? Maybe, but the chances are as high, as of getting.. I don`t know, a multi part plastic kit for warboss or a big mek.
I`d love either of those, and a new race as well.
Although It has to be very characterful (rogue traders with xenos mercs like demurig), or not humanoid, because we already have enough 4 limbed armies.
Horus Heresy books have so many xenos in them, that do NOT look like humans, but all we have is nids.

Santtu
11-12-2013, 01:34
Is it time for Kroot Mercenaries?

daviedight
11-12-2013, 03:33
Similar to the Kroot idea, but more on a human level, what about a 'savage' human race? Where they are Space Wolfy, but sans the power armour. They have warhorses and elephants ala the war Mumak of Harad, (LOTR) they use animals for transport/assault/weapon batteries. Fighting bears, hyena packs, flocks of birds of prey, using real world animals with savage human handlers as a completely different kind of experience on the tabletop? They would be a horde army. Every unit would be beasts. You could even have 'war monkeys' as foot soldiers!!

daviedight
11-12-2013, 03:40
You could even have 'actual' rhinos!!!!

Kakapo42
11-12-2013, 04:23
I don't think it implies a new faction. Like someone else mentioned, GW doesn't just make 40k. The extra time will probably be used for new releases for, y'know, the other two core games it puts out.

Even if they did have some resources and release schedule time to burn, I would much rather they relaunched Battlefleet Gothic with lovingly restored models for ALL the ships and factions just as they were. I can dream can't I.

Wakerofgods
11-12-2013, 04:30
I'm going bold and making a prediction:
A kingdom of humans who have been hiding off/near the galactic rim. They will be small (compared to the Imperium), but with superior technology and a high level mastery of magic/chaos (which they use to hide themselves from travel through the warp). Some humans with an air of 'underdog' and TV-trope virtues (democracy, freedom!) that we all love to root for.
The type of humans we all root for on the TV and are used to seeing as heroes.

Hendarion
11-12-2013, 05:05
The content explosion means just one thing: GW found a way to milk the cow even further. GW found out about pay-2-win or how to make "inapp-purchase" work for real-life-games.
That's all. It doesn't imply a new army at all and I don't actually know where the connection should be.

The Emperor
11-12-2013, 06:04
Some humans with an air of 'underdog' and TV-trope virtues (democracy, freedom!) that we all love to root for.

Ewww, that'd be terrible. There should be something unnerving and a little frightening about them. They shouldn't be the 40k Dudley DoRight's.

Kakapo42
11-12-2013, 06:17
They shouldn't be the 40k Dudley DoRight's.

Agreed. That's what the Tau are for. :p

Wakerofgods
11-12-2013, 06:39
Ewww, that'd be terrible. There should be something unnerving and a little frightening about them. They shouldn't be the 40k Dudley DoRight's.

I think we have different opinions on how viable TV-trope values are as a legitimate ethical code; I would hardly call someone following them 'Dudley DoRights' except in their own eyes (and many races are Dudley dorights to their own eyes).

TV-trope value's have interesting flaws in their own right and often lead to actions and decisions that have poor utility. Simply take away the convenient ending where the stupid (but brave/honourable/etc) decision all turns out ok in the end and the TV-trope's fall into a moral quagmire without having to add deviations from them into the mix.

I'd love to see some contrast to the Imperium that was closer to what we normally see and interesting because of how that fits into the rest of the universe.

All of the flaws in the character of the 40k races seem, to me and at 'first glance', too 'on the nose'. However, you might be right and those characteristics might need to be 'on the nose' rather than deeper, and in my opinion more interesting, flaws.

Balerion
11-12-2013, 06:47
After 9th edition WHFB hits I think the remaining 40K releases might slow down, while the WHFB armybook push ramps up.

T10
11-12-2013, 10:58
A kingdom of humans who have been hiding off/near the galactic rim. They will be small (compared to the Imperium), but with superior technology and a high level mastery of magic/chaos (which they use to hide themselves from travel through the warp). Some humans with an air of 'underdog' and TV-trope virtues (democracy, freedom!) that we all love to root for.

Something sinister akin to the Cybetronic mega-corporation in the Mutant Chronicles universe: In a setting where everything is corrupted, these guys are just too pure.

-T10

Wakerofgods
11-12-2013, 12:34
Something sinister akin to the Cybetronic mega-corporation in the Mutant Chronicles universe: In a setting where everything is corrupted, these guys are just too pure.

-T10

I think I misrepresent myself and you all point out flaws in what I proposed that are great observations. However, let me try restating my idea and I'd love to hear what you think:

I meant basically Americans in space. An espoused set of virtues we can all, on the face of it, relate to as familiar and desirable. In my opinion this is currently lacking in the 40k universe. However, go beyond the surface and you find this set of values is (at least occasionally) a mixture of rhetoric, selective application, and ignorance. I think a faction based on present day humans would be a worthwhile and interesting addition.

T10
11-12-2013, 12:45
I think I misrepresent myself and you all point out flaws in what I proposed that are great observations. However, let me try restating my idea and I'd love to hear what you think:

I meant basically Americans in space. An espoused set of virtues we can all, on the face of it, relate to as familiar and desirable. In my opinion this is currently lacking in the 40k universe. However, go beyond the surface and you find this set of values is (at least occasionally) a mixture of rhetoric, selective application, and ignorance. I think a faction based on present day humans would be a worthwhile and interesting addition.

So you are talking about the America that celebrates individuality, protects human rights, champions truth and justice, embraces diversity and fights the good fight in the face of overwhelming odds, or that other one?

-T10

Wakerofgods
11-12-2013, 12:50
So you are talking about the America that celebrates individuality, protects human rights, champions truth and justice, embraces diversity and fights the good fight in the face of overwhelming odds, or that other one?

-T10

Both, which is what makes the idea interesting to me.

Fangschrecken
11-12-2013, 21:25
Personally I feel that most of the minor xenos species are too small to justify a full codex without shoehorning them into the fluff or retconning a lot. We already have an extra galactic species, and another that lives on the eastern fringe. We don't need another human faction.

What I propose is that any xenos species, barring exodites, will be too regional to be proper, so a mercenaries codex would be the best idea. Primarily designed to be allied to other factions but able to build a stand alone army. It would require ~4 infantry boxes, a monster of some kind and a couple tanks. Have each box of infantry be a different species and have some upgrades on the sprue to make a character if needed. Tarellian medium infantry, a humungous demiurge murdergolem, demiurge heavy infantry, nicasar psyker clam pack, kroot already have a kit and could also be in the codex, a new species that looks like centaur-spider cavalry, hrud light infantry, ulumeathic weapons master clam pack, and a clam pack (I'd want a multi-part kit, but when was the last time we got one of those?) for a rogue trader or human mercenary captain who would alter the alliance chart. Possibly an elder one too. Maybe a genestealer patriarch.

They could also get access to human and elder soldiers who could be represented by the guard and guardian/kalabite kits respectively. These would bolster the number of units the mercs have access without requiring any more work on the part of GW (I'm sure they'd love the idea)

Their unique mechanic could be altering the force organization chart. A human rogue trader or merc captain would move the merc list from desperate allies with most human armies to distrusted to even battle brothers. An elder pirate captain could do the same, while a genestelaer patriarch could let the Tyranids finally get allies.

Harwammer
11-12-2013, 22:14
They have a codex that only really fits in to the tail end of the 40k setting and is very localised to the edge of the galaxy. There is another codex for a faction on a single planet/space ship.

I think the fact an alien faction may only be in ascendance for a short time, or have limited military power does not necessarily need to be a ticking box against whether their presence in 40k should be represented in the rules.

Nurgling Chieftain
11-12-2013, 22:39
An espoused set of virtues we can all, on the face of it, relate to as familiar and desirable. In my opinion this is currently lacking in the 40k universe.By design. It's an explicitly grimdark setting - in fact, it's the trope namer ("In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war").

Anopheles
12-12-2013, 04:25
I just want more aliens.

There's hints and write ups in the background and in BL books of all sorts of smaller alien empires. Some of them even put up a fight against the Imperium. If the Tau can be important enough to warrant their own army book, I figure some of these other factions could get theirs too. I'm just bored with humans...

DoctorTom
12-12-2013, 18:06

Well, if you think of Calgar as Captain Kirk, you might already have it.

MajorNese
12-12-2013, 18:56
A kingdom of humans who have been hiding off/near the galactic rim. [...] Some humans with an air of 'underdog' and TV-trope virtues (democracy, freedom!) that we all love to root for.
You mean browncoats? First model already spotted. (http://heresyminiatures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_62&products_id=108)

In case of new armies, the AdMech would be my nr.1 guess.
There are lots of fans (so it would sell), they receive more attention already at forgeworld (could be a test run), and the concept sounds quite interesting.
As far as I remember, FW intends to fashion them as a kind of necromancer army, as they scavenge whatever biological or technological parts they can, and create new servitor armies for the magos.
That could turn out interesting, seeing some weird tech unused by anyone else, and "recycling" dead models on the field to build new ones.
More detailed mindlock rules or preprogrammed fire patterns (like the automated stuff, i.e. tarantula) could give it certain ingame depth without going against fluff.

Fangschrecken
12-12-2013, 21:07
If they do an ad-mech army they could use a rule similar to the Red Hunters chapter tactics and give units a special rule once per game. Or do a royal court/wolf guard style thing where you buy tech priests with various abilities to enhance mediocre servitor or skitarii units. Sort of like the swiss army Tau Commanders but with only one or two bonuses to help a single unit.

Carlstjames
12-12-2013, 21:25
It started with and wil end with the Hrud. Although we havent seen any artwork in a long while they are an established part of the 40k background. GW have actualy done a reasonable job of futureproofing the Hrud in this way.

As for archetypes? I always assumed they were some sort of space skaven but Id love to see a non humanoid, non insectoid species added to the game. Fish men anyone?

Fangschrecken
13-12-2013, 00:06
Why are Hrud rat men and not arboreal furred invertebrate septapusses? With compound eyes and an eighth limb that acts like a scorpion stinger?

Harwammer
13-12-2013, 01:19
Fish men anyone?

They could drive around in fish tanks!

SpawnOfChaos
13-12-2013, 08:32
I think a Traitor Guard/ Chaos Militia Codex would be awesome. Kind of the same thing to IG that CSM are to SM.
Running a Blood Pact army with Glyphs, Wirewolves and crazy xenos chaos breeds would be sweet...

williamsond
13-12-2013, 08:41
space slan, there's presedent in the old fluff, they even had space slan minitures back in the late 80's.

Born Again
13-12-2013, 09:24
An army which makes lots of use out of Chariots would be nice, too. I think the only Chariot in the game is the Catacomb Command Barge. But yeah, there're quite a bit of choices. My votes would be for...

- Demiurg (I want my God damn Space Dwarves!!! Retcon the Squats out and retcon the Demiurg into the Squat Homeworlds in the galactic center)

While I would really like to see the Demiurg make an appearance, I'm not sure they're a stand alone army. I was expecting them to make an appearance as a sort of medium-heavy close range firepower unit for the Tau when their last codex came out, but got the Riptide instead :( As much as I think about it, I can't see how they would be developed in to an army on their own without running in to a lot of the problems that saw the Squats dropped in the first place. Of course, that doesn't mean GW won't have ideas that I'm not.

Anyway, I wouldn't really want to see the Squats retconned completely, as they are a part of 40k history and have been explicitly mentioned as recent as the 6th edition BRB. The Demiurg clearly have a presence on the Eastern Fringe, being involved with the Tau... but as explanation for their increased presence on the galactic stage (and hence getting their own codex) they could have them launch a 'crusade' of sorts to take the worlds left behind by ruined Squat empire. After all, do Tyranids eat up all the mineral wealth of a world? They're interested in biomass, not iron ore, right? That way, you solve the problem of why the galactic core is currently this big, empty hole on the map, you get a new Dwarf archetype in the game, and you still have a nod to the Squats for old-school players. Maybe there could be a special character who is actually a surviving Squat living amongst the Demiurg, taking on the role of living ancestor.

It started with and wil end with the Hrud. Although we havent seen any artwork in a long while they are an established part of the 40k background. GW have actualy done a reasonable job of futureproofing the Hrud in this way.

As for archetypes? I always assumed they were some sort of space skaven but Id love to see a non humanoid, non insectoid species added to the game. Fish men anyone?

As much as fishmen is a long-running joke, I always thought Tau were sort of the fishmen of 40k. There's something fish-like about their features (I think it's the gill-like nasal slit), and that's before you even get to their vehicle names. Before that though, there was also the fact that a fishman was actually amongst the first 40k models released (Piscean Warrior (http://www.solegends.com/citrt/1st40kreleases.htm))

I like the Hrud too and would definitely welcome them in to the game, as well as an interesting addition for background and models, they could be an interesting and different playstyle too, giving lots of de-buffs and malediction type psychic powers.

A while back there was an obviously hoax rumour about the Umbra making an appearance. I really like the Umbra as a concept and they are without question the most alien race ever described in the background, with an Lovecraftian-type horror to them. Unfortunately, models of floating black balls probably wouldn't sell real well.

space slan, there's presedent in the old fluff, they even had space slan minitures back in the late 80's.

Didn't they sort of get folded in to the Old Ones concept though? I know there was that John Blanche drawing in one of the more recent rulebooks (4th?) but I got the impression they were assumed to be possible descendents from the Old Ones that had reverted to a more basic and mysticism/ magic type existence, that had withdrawn from galactic affairs and probably weren't going looking for trouble (but could probably still gutter stomp any that came their way). Also though, GW doesn't seem too keen on direct WHFB-40K crossovers any more.

Archibald_TK
13-12-2013, 11:27
I'm not sure if it's wise to be that optimistic about a new race being released.
That year we had 5 Codexes releases, but one of them was the Daemons which was an odd case as it was dual system. Assuming that oddity won't repeat, if we assume GW will release 4 Codexes per year (That's not far fetched, 4 Codexes + 4 AB + mid year release + December slot is already 10 months out of ten, leaving 2 more for additional waves, supplements or whatever), we need 4 candidates for 2014, 4 for 2015 and, since 7th Edition shall be released mid year, a maximum of 1 Codex in 2016. That's 9 candidates required.

So far are waiting to be updated: Tyranids, IG, Orks, SW, BA, Necrons, DE, SoB, GK. A total of 9 books. Since I can't see any reason for creating a new race before updating all of the old ones, looks like everything is filled to me.

aim
13-12-2013, 12:55
I just want more aliens.

There's hints and write ups in the background and in BL books of all sorts of smaller alien empires. Some of them even put up a fight against the Imperium. If the Tau can be important enough to warrant their own army book, I figure some of these other factions could get theirs too. I'm just bored with humans...

I remember reading somewhere that the Tau book was meant to be catch all for the smaller races in the galaxy that exist. So just use the Tau codex with some other models that you find interesting elsewhere.

DeathGlam
13-12-2013, 14:45
The Tau would seem to be the easiest way to add a few more races to the game, as im sure im was not the only player really dissapointed that we did not get a 4th race added to the army in the recent codex.

I have been considering using Grymm from Hasslefree miniatures as count as Fire Warriors, Pathfinders and Stealth Suits, to represent Demiurg.

Kingly
13-12-2013, 14:50
Yea moar aliens! :D

Does anyone remember the really cool alien they released for Inquisitor, he did look like a Fish/Lizard man and he looked really mean. Great stuff.
I think a good way of introducing an alien species like that is release them in a starter kit, that way all the guys that only buy off Ebay get the starter set from Ebay then buy the better stuff from the other discount stores etc.

Mooor Aliens!

13-12-2013, 15:14
The Tau would seem to be the easiest way to add a few more races to the game, as im sure im was not the only player really dissapointed that we did not get a 4th race added to the army in the recent codex.

I have been considering using Grymm from Hasslefree miniatures as count as Fire Warriors, Pathfinders and Stealth Suits, to represent Demiurg.

Get out of here with your common sense and decent ideas... We don't need that here!

Honestly I would love to see more races introduced through the Tau.

MusingWarboss
13-12-2013, 15:31
Get out of here with your common sense and decent ideas... We don't need that here!

Honestly I would love to see more races introduced through the Tau.

Wasn't this sort of thing mooted with the supposed Codex: Allies?