PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian influences on TS vs. Sons of Horus

Luxem
05-12-2013, 04:25
I have recently been fascinated by Egyptian history (Particularly the myths and its worldly happenings and connections) and I believe I have found the main difference between the TS and Sons of Horus influences from this period (If someone has studied this more in-depth or knows about the authors/writers sources/intents that'd be nice.)

The TS seem to take heavily from the actual mythology and cults, and the gods/goddesses/deities.

While the Sons of Horus seem to take more from the Pharaoh and what Horus represented to the Pharaohs as in real world rulers and conquering (Maybe thats why Lupercal allows himself to be corrupted by a lowly chaplain like Erebus?)

Marshal_Loss
05-12-2013, 06:59
The Sons of Horus actually draw upon relatively little Egyptian mythos/history aside from the obvious name of the Primarch himself and their iconic symbol. There is a cult of personality in the XVI centered around the Warmaster - Betrayal by Forge World mentions is briefly I think - and there have been similar systems in countless cultures, from Soviet Russia to Egypt herself, so it wasn't really unique to Egypt and it hasn't been established that the Sons saw their gene-father as being genuinely divine, at least not yet. Perhaps Vengeful Spirit will elaborate more on this.

There has been another thread on the influences present in the XVI and most people agreed that there are so many it's impossible to narrow down one culture as they display a bizarre blend of influences, from Greek (Chthonic) Egyptian (Wadjet, Horus) Roman (Pteruges as seen in Betrayal) and a lot of techno-barbarian kind of stuff, with the casting skulls in gold etc.

As for the Thousand Sons, I haven't actually read the books on them (:rolleyes:) so I can't really comment but they certainly do give the impression of being heavily Egyptian themed!

(I study Classics)

Menthak
05-12-2013, 10:08
The Sons of Horus actually draw upon relatively little Egyptian mythos/history aside from the obvious name of the Primarch himself and their iconic symbol. There is a cult of personality in the XVI centered around the Warmaster - Betrayal by Forge World mentions is briefly I think - and there have been similar systems in countless cultures, from Soviet Russia to Egypt herself, so it wasn't really unique to Egypt and it hasn't been established that the Sons saw their gene-father as being genuinely divine, at least not yet. Perhaps Vengeful Spirit will elaborate more on this.

There has been another thread on the influences present in the XVI and most people agreed that there are so many it's impossible to narrow down one culture as they display a bizarre blend of influences, from Greek (Chthonic) Egyptian (Wadjet, Horus) Roman (Pteruges as seen in Betrayal) and a lot of techno-barbarian kind of stuff, with the casting skulls in gold etc.

As for the Thousand Sons, I haven't actually read the books on them (:rolleyes:) so I can't really comment but they certainly do give the impression of being heavily Egyptian themed!

(I study Classics)

Marshal_loss beat me to it. Basically I agree with this, there is no one culture that inspires the SOH 100%, it's a blend. Although I can say that the Thousand sons are pretty much 70-80% Pre-Ptolomaic Egyptian, with the the cults, and the 'magic' and the pyramids.

Nazguire
05-12-2013, 20:52
There's a lot of Aztec/Mayan in the Thousand Sons as well, coming from Dan Abnett himself when he was lamenting he had to write about the Space Wolves for Prospero Burns. Pyramids and sorcery aren't exclusive to Ancient Egypt :D

Fangschrecken
08-12-2013, 18:04
If you think of it in a historical sense, it makes more sense for the Sons of Horus to have a more varied influence than the Thousand Sons. The Sons of Horus come from Cthonia which is one of the, if not THE, closest habitable planet to Terra so it would be a prime location for a blending of cultures as various nations and peoples raced to settle it. It is also a largely ruined world, which would be where the gangs come from.

On the other hand, Prospero is far from Terra and may only have been settle from a single group so it would be more homogeneous. Even if it wasn't the psychneuein plague could have devastated other cultures and left only Tizca's people standing.

Bubble Ghost
08-12-2013, 18:42
I've always felt the Egyptianesque Thousand Sons were not so much based on ancient Egypt, as on modern occult worshippers. They're more like a clandestine society reviving ancient secrets - like the bad guy in a Hammer Horror movie - and the quasi-Egyptian look kind of goes with that, evoking such people's dabblings with forbidden knowledge, rather than any direct Egyptian influence.

Nazguire
08-12-2013, 22:50
I've always felt the Egyptianesque Thousand Sons were not so much based on ancient Egypt, as on modern occult worshippers. They're more like a clandestine society reviving ancient secrets - like the bad guy in a Hammer Horror movie - and the quasi-Egyptian look kind of goes with that, evoking such people's dabblings with forbidden knowledge, rather than any direct Egyptian influence.

That's a good way of looking at it, I never thought of it that way. I thought the Egyptian influence was so blatant as to definitely be just that, but you've got a point about modern day occultists; a lot of pantomime, misunderstanding and theatre blended with what they perceive as 'mystical' influences on their 'rites' and 'spells'.

Luxem
08-12-2013, 23:40
That's a good way of looking at it, I never thought of it that way. I thought the Egyptian influence was so blatant as to definitely be just that, but you've got a point about modern day occultists; a lot of pantomime, misunderstanding and theatre blended with what they perceive as 'mystical' influences on their 'rites' and 'spells'.

Which stems back to the knowledge/happenings of the actual Pharoah and his military/State (Early to Mid Dynasties mostly, not that familiar with Egypt history so forgive me), to random old guys who tricked people.... I mean sacred priests that knew forbidden knowledge.

TheDungen
09-12-2013, 00:21
more mumm-ra than amon-ra? (or the dark and evil egyptian counterparts in Conan ect) Sure I can back that.