PDA

View Full Version : Are Tau fun?

Artemis360
05-12-2013, 13:15
Hi all

After years of gaming I've come to the conclusion that the absolute most important thing to consider when planning a new army is: "are they going to give me a lot of fun for a long time?" I had a Tau army quite a long time ago and when they got re-released I had high hopes to start a new large force of them but due to RL complications I couldn't start for a long time and just played my CSM and Daemons instead. A friend said to me he's always found Tau boring to play as and play against and I have to admit, when I played against them in my local GT (with said daemons), they did seem very dull. The main thing I worry about is having only 2 troops choices, only 1 of which is really a backbone type unit. So my question is, are they fun?

Thanks very much for all responses!!

duffybear1988
05-12-2013, 13:42
If you like watching your opponent cry then yes they are (no joke, I saw a 14 year old lad cry when his new space marine army got tabled 3 times in a row last week).

They can be fun, but try not to spam riptides as that is a very boring way to play.

Wash
05-12-2013, 13:48
I find suits can be fun to play, at least gives you some versatility controlling the movement phase due to their assault jump move. I play a Tauadar list, and the combo is fun to play.

Ironbone
05-12-2013, 13:59
"are they going to give me a lot of fun for a long time?
Well, you won't know if you don't try ;).

But to be honest, it depends on how player attitude fits to army one. Some prefer their force to be mobile, some focus more on firepower, some other love trampling enemies underfoot with their superb assout units ( these guys have bit harder time now, but damm, they deserve it for so many years of omnidominance ).

Is tau army borring ? Don't think so. Tau are not static army. They have excelent firepower and mobility, two key traits in current ediion, and their durability isn't that bad either. And, with plenty ways of at least decent build in the codex, player can try multiple diffrent army setups, and diffrent playstyles.

Amount of units that you will probably never see is one of lowest in the game.

Camman1984
05-12-2013, 16:42
We wouldnt be able to tell you how much fun tou would have. I hate them with a passion and find them and their background so bland they are in danger of spawning a chaos god of boredom. But there are plenty of people that love them and they are very popular.

Plague Lord
05-12-2013, 16:54
I like all their fun wargear and drones. If I would play tau though I would use all these new gismos pathfinders get like recon drones and so on. Just for fun.

They aren't boring to play against since it's tough to win against them ;]

Laniston
05-12-2013, 18:59
I think they're fun.

Inquisitor Shego
05-12-2013, 20:33
My experience fighting Tau is as a Daemon player. Tau are not nice. Though I've yet to lose to them, each game is extremely difficult and based more than ever on fickle luck. They sit in a nice big box of overlapping supportive overwatch fire, spanking any deep strikers with intercept. My Daemonettes are allured to their big long hard rifles firing their hot loads, but they're not normally on the table long enough to reach a climax.

Tau have some of the sexiest models, almost as much freedom as Marines with colour schemes, and are an army whose power level can be anything from weak to OMG UBER POWERFUL depending on what you take. Like Nids, they're distinctly unique, combining an alien feel with mecha anime. They can be incredibly static or incredibly mobile, and aren't as point and shoot as people think.

I don't blame my housemate for taking them, and I really admire the look of what he's got painted so far. Not only this, but as he gets more and more experience with his army, I know I am going to get thumped. Oh how I love a challenge.

Splen
05-12-2013, 20:54
I would never call them boring to play against! The last game I played against tau was one of the closest and most tense games I think I've ever had, it's those kind of games which you remember for a long time! There's nothing quite so daunting as seeing two riptides, two hammerheads and a bunch of crisis suits closing in to make you rethink your ideas about Tau being a static army!

Menthak
05-12-2013, 22:15
They're alright, some of the Por'vres can't drink, and the Ethereals themselves are no fun, but by and large they're okay.

Oh! You mean the codex, yeah it's fun, unless you enjoyed using Kroot as assault units.

Inquisitor Shego
06-12-2013, 02:10
They're alright, some of the Por'vres can't drink, and the Ethereals themselves are no fun, but by and large they're okay.

Oh! You mean the codex, yeah it's fun, unless you enjoyed using Kroot as assault units.

I LOL'd :D

Pinup_Guru
06-12-2013, 15:26
Are tau fun ? It depends on the style of army you want. you won't see a tau fire warrior go CQC with a space marine of course. ^^

06-12-2013, 15:45

Nice!

Honestly the army has a lot of interesting units, and is fun if you like movement and shooting. If these two things are not your cup of tea then I would stay away from Tau as building a CC army is damn near impossible. Also if the Kroot ever get a union there goes the Tau empire.

maze ironheart
06-12-2013, 20:15
I fight them on a very regular basis and take what I say with a pinch of salt they suck the fun out of a game but that is just me.

GenerationTerrorist
07-12-2013, 16:22
My Daemonettes are allured to their big long hard rifles firing their hot loads, but they're not normally on the table long enough to reach a climax.

Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read on Warseer this year!

Ssilmath
07-12-2013, 16:36
Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read on Warseer this year!

If Shego is posting, one can expect to be entertained.

On topic, Tau are one of the armies where terrain become the deciding factor between enjoyment and frustration. Tau are one of the best armies at range, and are absolutely brutal if there's nothing blocking their shooting. If the terrain is a maze, then it's extremely frustrating for the Tau player. I'd suggest testing out various terrain levels to find the right balance for your group. Tau are still pretty rough in the midrange and are really good at mobile warfare, so set your terrain up in a way that encourages that and I think you'll find that the game is enjoyable for both players.

hobojebus
07-12-2013, 19:44
They have horrifying firepower, but i find once a single unit gets into combat they fold badly, in a game against my good friend my fenrisian wolves tore apart 3 crisis suits and 2 broadsides on their own.

Of course getting them in to combat is the tricky part you really need work for it, triple fire at half range will whittle down most units, heavy tanks can die quickly to railgun and smart missile systems.

its really been tempting me to get out my old 1k tau force back from when they first came out and do a little update.

The bearded one
07-12-2013, 19:53
Honestly, I almost use them as a standard for myself to determine whether I would find another army fun to play. Tau are an army that is shooty and tends to stay away from the enemy, and can't fight in cc. IG are sorta the same (with big artillery), but they will mostly sit still, whereas Tau can be very dynamic.

I love their great reach across the table, I like their intersupporting vibe, with units not merely combining their firepower, but also combining a layer of buffs and buffweaponry, making it far more interesting for me to play than just pointing weapons at stuff of enough individual units to kill something. Jump-shoot-jump makes them more maneouvrable as well, giving them an extra phase to move around. My army can often end up scattered across the table, with suits and kroot moving around the enemy's flanks.