PDA

View Full Version : Double Blind Warhammer 40k

Awilla the Hun
05-12-2013, 14:24
Hi. I was just wondering-has anyone tried playing warhammer as a double-blind wargame? (You only know the location of your forces and the terrain. Movement is done by umpires. Orders are issued from another room. Hilarity ensues.)

Felwether
05-12-2013, 14:59
Hi. I was just wondering-has anyone tried playing warhammer as a double-blind wargame? (You only know the location of your forces and the terrain. Movement is done by umpires. Orders are issued from another room. Hilarity ensues.)

That sounds awesome. We've been planning to do that at my club for ages. Two overall commanders playing their own game while issuing orders to a main table in a separate room. Of course there's nothing saying that the orders wouldn't be mixed up or changed completely by a particularly malicious GM! :evilgrin:

There was even talk of off board artillery strikes and using flyers to make reconnaissance runs.

DeathGlam
05-12-2013, 15:29
I have never considered it but now going to have to try it with my gaming group sometime for a laugh, thanks for the idea.

Sir Didymus
05-12-2013, 16:58
There was a white dwarf, where they did so to sell the ork 'gargants'-things.

Sandalphon
05-12-2013, 17:34
I have never done 40K as a double blind, however I did play and then later GM a double blind game of Battletech.
It should be noted that a true double blind game needs 4 of everything, since it's your table, your enemies table, and the judges table.
Also, due to how 40K plays, exact positioning could be problematic, with Battletech you had hex grid boards, which allowed for exact and undisputed placement of models.
But good luck if you give it a try.

ForgottenLore
05-12-2013, 17:41
I have a hard time seeing something like 40K itself played double blind. Movement and Line of Sight are too subject to interpretation and judgement calls and it seems like, at the scale 40K plays at, both commanders should have a good idea of enemy dispositions that close in.

Now a double blind map based campaign, THAT would be awesome to the max. That is sort of my dream scenario, ultimate wargaming goal. To have a group of committed guys willing to play those sorts of campaigns with good campaign rules and a good base game...

That would be incredible.

Clang
05-12-2013, 18:00
exact positioning could be problematic, with Battletech you had hex grid boards, which allowed for exact and undisputed placement of models.

Yeah, you'd probably need to somehow mark a grid (e.g. every 6 inches) on the tables to stop the poor umpires going mad measuring stuff.

And yes you'd need a bucket load of proxy models to represent the multiple versions of each model, which could be a nightmare to organise.

Definitely an interesting experiment...

Flavius_69
05-12-2013, 18:56
I have done it in chess - great twist on the game! - but i dont see how it would work in 40k. positioning is to open to replicate properly. Be great fun if someone organised it though!

Retrospectus
05-12-2013, 19:54
It would definitely need a grid system to work. hex's probably

Menthak
05-12-2013, 21:18
That's the fun I think, the Umpires moving incorrectly and other such nonsense, if you wanted it to be a competitive game then sure, design hexes and stuff. If you want a silly game, have your opponent design a list with a theme, then swap them, then play true blind.