PDA

View Full Version : Flank charge on cauldron of blood unit?

Ohris
06-12-2013, 13:19
So the new cauldron is 3 x 5 in size so what happens if you are joined in a unit that has 4 ranks when the cauldron is joined in.

An enemy unit charges the flank with 7 ranks so thats 6 ranks that can hit the cauldrons unit.
Can the 1 extra rank hit the cauldron even though you cannot really move the cauldron to the flank to touch the enemy unit?
Also if they can then I quess the cauldron can also hit back as can the character (death hag) that in the cauldron.

Or is the cauldron out of combat and cannot be hit?

SanDiegoSurrealist
06-12-2013, 17:53
I had this very thing happen a few weeks ago.

Hit a horde of Witch Elves (2 ranks) in the flank with the cauldron in the middle with a horde of Saurus Warriors.
We just played that I got my 15 or so attacks to his 6 (something like that don't remember exact number), which I believe was the correct way to play it.
If it would have been a character on a mount in the middle of the front rank I would not have said that 2 SW could attack him because his butt was hanging out behind the front rank.

The thing that we questioned was can the Cauldron "Make Way"? We decided yes it can but still have no difinitive answer if it can in fact "Make Way". Can the Skaven unit that is treated the same way make way?

bigbiggles
06-12-2013, 19:04
I'm pretty positive the bell/furnace can not make way. At least I have not seen anyone do it.

theunwantedbeing
06-12-2013, 19:12
You aren't allowed to make way as it's forced to stay in the centre of the unit by it's own rules.

So you have two options.
1. It can't be attacked even if it overhangs (this causes some really silly issues when the unit around it gets tiny)
2. It can be attacked (and can attack anything that can attack it as a result)

Pick one, let your opponent pick one.
If you don't pick the same choice roll a dice and the highest score wins (hint, try rolling an artillery dice as they have bigger numbers).

Kalandros
06-12-2013, 19:23
Or roll the scatter dice and whoever the arrow points to wins.

Blkc57
06-12-2013, 20:05
Or roll the scatter dice and whoever the arrow points to wins.

HAHAHA, I have to use that from now on. *points to some random guy in the corner* "YOU! DECIDE OUR GAME!"

SanDiegoSurrealist
06-12-2013, 20:31
You aren't allowed to make way as it's forced to stay in the center of the unit by it's own rules.

Were does it say the Cauldron can not make way in its rules? My opponent could not find it and would be nice have a page number to point him too next time.
Cheers!

3eland
06-12-2013, 20:43
Page 47 of the rule book (the Cauldron of Blood page), specifically says it must join in the middle and is not considered a character; "note that it is not otherwise treated as a character - it can only join and leave units like one". Only characters can make way.

stauderpower
06-12-2013, 23:02
The cauldron cant make way to the flank unless there is only one rank because you would be taking models out of the fight. The cauldron cannot make way but the hag on top can which in turn moves the entire cauldron.That rule is only for the cauldron, the hag still acts as a normal character and the cauldron is just a mount. That rule is there so if you kill the hag someone cant say that the cauldron then has to leave the unit. You only have to place the cauldron in the center front rank. It can move around with challenges and making way. I would think it cant attack or be attacked back, but thats just a gut feeling

3eland
06-12-2013, 23:05
The cauldron cant make way to the flank unless there is only one rank because you would be taking models out of the fight. The cauldron cannot make way but the hag on top can which in turn moves the entire cauldron.That rule is only for the cauldron, the hag still acts as a normal character and the cauldron is just a mount. That rule is there so if you kill the hag someone cant say that the cauldron then has to leave the unit. You only have to place the cauldron in the center front rank. It can move around with challenges and making way. I would think it cant attack or be attacked back because its not really, but im not sure.

Well said, and explains exactly what the OP has asked I think!

naloth
10-12-2013, 18:50
IIRC, there's also a section in the BRB that says that characters with different base footprints can't Make Way either - they stay on the sides of units. If not for the "must center" rule, the cauldron would fall into the footprint issues.

decker_cky
10-12-2013, 18:57
The model (hag + cauldron) would have to follow the rules that apply to it as much as possible. The cauldron must remain in the middle of the unit, and the hag can make way. By remaining in the center of the unit, both rules are followed. If you make way, you are not following the rules of the cauldron. You can't make way with it.