PDA

View Full Version : How do High Elves deal with plague drones?(esp. without Death/Shadow)

Sinsigel
08-12-2013, 05:13
I haven't had a game with new DoC since their new book was released.
Although I hear vast majority of DoC players complaining about BotWD, I also find some parts in DoC which appears to be
quite frustrating to deal with for HE even with BotWD. Plague Drones are one kind of these.

Although drones can only hover, they still are flying monstrous cavalry giving them advantages against HE cavalry.
They are also S5 T5 with ward save and mark of nurgle(-1 to hit in CC) and quite cheap.(Three of them cost less than 170pts)

They can avoid high Strength HE infantry(who will be equipped with BotWD) while getting a charge at them with HE cavalry is very difficult.
The fact that they're skirmishers(thus -1 to hit with BS weapon) and T5 W3 means even bolt throwers will have difficulty
wounding them reliably.

Using magic(esp. lore of Shadows or Light) is one way, but I don't think it can be easily done with my current list.
(Anointed, High Archmage, noble, mage, silver helm bus, 30 WLs, 5 DPs, 3 RBTs, 2 eagles, Frostheart phoenix and 8 sisters at 3K)
Boosted soul quench might put some wounds through and improving RBT's BS with hand of glory might help but other than that
I see little solution against them.(Unless I try with different list using Lore of Shadow)

Kalandros
08-12-2013, 05:49
I2, purple sun them like any other I1/I2 unit.

Citadel97501
08-12-2013, 07:21
Remember they are skirmishers so they don't have ranks, so they need to kill 5+ more than you or lose against static combat resolution.

20+ Sea Guard or Spears with Chosen of Asuryan: Close Combat does fine, shooting not so much without magical support. You will lose a few but do a couple wounds, and then kill them all on combat resolution.

18-20 Sisters of Avelorn, with musician, and Hand Maiden: I love this unit, it kills most threats quickly. 2 wounds per volley after saves this is plenty. With Hand of Glory your doing up to double that, killing the unit in a hurry. Great against most of his army actually. If he charges they lose another one due to stand and shoot, and then probably lose the last one before it gets to fight. Oh and a note this kills almost any monster in the game due to low armor values. (Proxy in Archers, I know no one who would complain...)

Tiranoc Chariots: a tiny bit slower than him, and the impact hits can get you plenty of combat resolution ignoring his mark of nurgle. They also do wonders against Daemonettes and Seekers.

Frost Phoenix: Don't send him after them, send him out after stuff like Horrors, Daemonettes, and especially Blood Letters.

Magic: Soul Quench, should do a couple wounds, but I would just focus on the big blocks especially any horrors, Fiery Convocation will eat any thing he has quickly.

Kallstrom
08-12-2013, 11:21
Frost Phoenix: Don't send him after them, send him out after stuff like Horrors, Daemonettes, and especially Blood Letters.

If he plays with Plague Drones he probably plays a Nurgle themed army (and MOST players do that by default nowadays anyway). So probably no 'nettes nor 'letters in the army. Might be some Horrors depending on how he (if he) plays his HoT.
I know from personal experience that the Frost Phoenix is a nasty surprise (even for my Keeper of Secrets) that got cockblocked for several rounds of combat (he rolled so he got a better Ward Save and +1 Str in his Magic Phases). Might want to run the Phoenix into his Lord?

SteveW
09-12-2013, 01:46
They can avoid high Strength HE infantry(who will be equipped with BotWD) while getting a charge at them with HE cavalry is very difficult.
The fact that they're skirmishers(thus -1 to hit with BS weapon) and T5 W3 means even bolt throwers will have difficulty
wounding them reliably.

They aren't fast, I've only had one game against them but they were far from hard to charge. 10 dragon princes with a wildform was enough to kill 3 of them after they popped from CR and only lose 1 knight. 15 silverhelms would have similar results.

Evil Hypnotist
14-12-2013, 08:14
Being a Nurgle Daemons player, I was quite surprised to see in this thread that Plague Drones are described as skirmishers. Can someone explain this to me because I can't find where this this is referenced in the DoC army book, BRB or FAQ. Cheers.

Kayosiv
14-12-2013, 08:46
ALL units of flyers are skirmishers as long as there are 2 or more of them.

Evil Hypnotist
14-12-2013, 18:38
ALL units of flyers are skirmishers as long as there are 2 or more of them.

Found that bit in the BRB now, many thanks!

Lord Dan
16-12-2013, 02:30
I2, purple sun them like any other I1/I2 unit.

I'm hoping the OP added the parenthetical remarks in the thread title after this post... :p

EDIT: Right, suggestions for taking them down:

Banner of the World Dragon.

Failing that, a Noble on an Eagle with the Star Lance.

Failing that, 160 bow shots against a unit of 3. ;)

Malagor
16-12-2013, 06:33
18-20 Sisters of Avelorn, with musician, and Hand Maiden.
Sisters can't have musicians, only champion.

Lord Dan
16-12-2013, 07:11
Sisters can't have musicians, only champion.

More importantly, they're really not all that great at killing Drones:

Long Range: 20 shots, 10 hit, 3.33 wound, 2.22 after saves.
Close Range: 20 shots, 13.33 hit, 4.44 wound, 2.96 after saves.

So, on average, you're (almost) dropping a single bug per shooting phase if they're within 12". That seems like a less-than-efficient way to tie up 300 points worth of archers...