PDA

View Full Version : Curse of the Years and Overruning off the table

kylek2235
09-12-2013, 20:41
Here's the situation that happened awhile ago: My opponent cast Curse of the Years on my Bulls, of which I was oblivious to. On my turn, I smashed through some Zombies and overran off the table. Now the smashing and bashing part actually eliminated my friend's wizard (thus ending the RiP), but we thought the hypothetical situation was so weird, we sat around and discussed it. If Curse of the Years had still been active and my unit not on the table at the start of my friend's magic phase, what happens?

A) Can I dispel it as normal?
B1) Do we roll for the Curse if I don't/can't dispel it?
B2) If enough casualties are created, do I take a panic check?
B3) What happens if I fail said panic check?

In the end we decided in the future we'd treat it as if it the unit were still present on the table and if I failed a panic check, my unit becomes permanently enshrouded in the land beyond the table edge. I'm not sure why it suddenly occurred to me, but it was kind of amusing and I'm taking a short break from exam studies, so enjoy!

bigbiggles
09-12-2013, 21:16
Don't remains in play spells stop when the wizard dies? Otherwise I would just test when they get back on the table

kylek2235
09-12-2013, 21:58
Don't remains in play spells stop when the wizard dies? Otherwise I would just test when they get back on the table

Yep, which is why it was hypothetical. What happens if it hadn't been dispelled by clubs wielded by large fat ogres.

Smogg
09-12-2013, 22:30
Hmm, I don't think the rules cover this in any way. There are 3 ways to see it right?
It's true spells are dispelled if the wizard leaves the battlefield, but it does not cover what happens if the affected unit leaves the battle.

1. The unit it still part of the battle just on the other side of the edge and is still affected by the battle and spells on the unit continue to take effect and can be dispelled.

2. The unit is just outside the battlefield, but everything remains as is. Formation, spells, wounds and so on but stops working temporarily and cannot be dispelled.

3. The unit is effectively removed from play with the exception that it can enter as reinforcement again much like a new unit, but with same formation and model count as when it left. In which case you could argue that spell, wound counters ect would be gone.

I don't know what would be more correct. Likely I would favor the #2 option.

Citadel97501
10-12-2013, 05:45
I would also play it like rule 2, if its not on the table it can't be affected for good or ill. I was actually thinking about this type of situation yesterday due to Convocation of Flames and a giant witch elf unit. Unluckily for him, he didn't get off the table and lost 2/3rds of the unit.

furrie
10-12-2013, 09:22
2 sounds like the most logical one. Otherwise I would go for 1, number 3 just sounds like cheating to me.

Jack of Blades
11-12-2013, 13:21
I'd play it like 1 because it's the most in accordance with the spirit of it. The spell isn't some closet monster that stops following you when you leave the table edge.

N1AK
16-12-2013, 12:31
If Curse of the Years had still been active and my unit not on the table at the start of my friend's magic phase, what happens?

A) Can I dispel it as normal?
B1) Do we roll for the Curse if I don't/can't dispel it?
B2) If enough casualties are created, do I take a panic check?
B3) What happens if I fail said panic check?

In the end we decided in the future we'd treat it as if it the unit were still present on the table and if I failed a panic check, my unit becomes permanently enshrouded in the land beyond the table edge. I'm not sure why it suddenly occurred to me, but it was kind of amusing and I'm taking a short break from exam studies, so enjoy!

I've only had a quick look but it seems that the situation isn't really covered. Some other rules that normally apply to models on the table explicitly cover what happens to models not on the table. I think by RAW the 'correct' answer is to ignore models that aren't on the board for all purposes but I would play and would suggest everyone plays that they continue to be affected by spells on the unit etc. The issue with this response is that it makes no sense for a unit that left the table to not be affected by anything new but somehow to still be affected by old spells. Can a wizard take wounds and die, while off the table, due to the all casters take a hit miscast or carrying an item that could hurt them each turn?

shakedown47
16-12-2013, 20:18
Option 2, while not the most satisfying, seems the best way to handle it. Both the affected unit and the spell should be treated as in suspension until the unit re-enters the battlefield, at which point its effects begin again and it is eligible for being dispelled.

orionwoodking
20-12-2013, 02:36
On page 36 of the WHFB Rulebook, under REMAINS IN PLAY SPELLS is says they only end when:
a) target is slain
b) caster is slain
c) caster chooses to end the spell
d) caster leaves the battlefield
So we know at the very least that the spell continues to affect the unit when they come back on the board. It's just a matter of does it affect them when they are off the board

Personally I agree with Option 2, it makes the most sense