PDA

View Full Version : The Thousand Suns

BabyEatinOrk
08-06-2006, 16:46
Alright, I'm a bit cultured in warhammer now. Might remember me from my Noob to Nob thread.Well I recently decided to take a complete 180 from a mass number melee army, to a quality over quantity shooting army. Aka, the thousand suns. Now I'm curious about some Chaos veterans stories and experiences, maybe a few pointers and general strategies would be helpful and a few 'Must have' models for my army and equipment. Thank you for your time. Fo' da Waaagh, and now For Chaos!

Vanger
08-06-2006, 16:49
Look up the Thousand Sons Tactica thread.

And models you must have? Some TS marines of course! :D

And you made the rihgt choice :)

BabyEatinOrk
08-06-2006, 16:53
Mhm, I decided to give myself options of a grand Melee army, and a grand shooting army. I know the marines are a must but I'm thinking what most veterans would use. So far I just got Ahriman, gamestore sold him for $7.

lord_blackfang
08-06-2006, 17:00
Which part of Thousand Sons is grand on shooting? The one where you pay +10 per model to be able to rapid-fire on the move?

Anyway, the first step to collecting TS is to shoot yourself in the foot. It's symbolic.

kermit
08-06-2006, 17:28
The nice thing about the "new" thousand sons... you are able to buy a whole squad including sorcerer in one boxed set. That is nice!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Thousand Sons!

Yorkiebar
08-06-2006, 17:35
Aka, the thousand suns.Ah yes, the brightest of all Chaos Space Marines :p.

Welcome to the brotherhood, I'd give you some advice but I'm a new TS player myself, only painted one squad so far. One thing I will say though is to ivest in some Rubric Terminators. Great conversion opportunity and pretty indestructible. Also, don't go overboard on your commander. IMO, a good Lieutenant is preferable to a big bad Daemon Prince.

Bran Dawri
08-06-2006, 18:15
If you want a really shooty army, go with either Slaanesh and a bunch of blastmasters or whatever they're called.

Thousand sons are (quite sadly) a cc army, though it can have fairly potent shooting support.

Brian888
08-06-2006, 19:02
I've always found that the Sons are a great close-range shooting army. If you can maneuver things well, a double-tap Wind of Chaos can potentially devastate a squad (not to mention the 16 bolter shots coming from the Rubric Marines in the squad). They're also incredible tar-babies in CC. Unless your opponent has specific Sons-killing equipment (power fists, implant attacks, etc.), it takes a LONG time to chew through 17 T4 power-armored wounds.

Lastie
08-06-2006, 19:19
Thousand sons are (quite sadly) a cc army, though it can have fairly potent shooting support.

Are we?!?! I've been playing TS for ages and I'm still not sure what we're supposed to be. As far as I can tell, we're an army of expensive Marines who's Mark lets us spend more points on equally expensive Psychic Powers.

That .. and we all break down in tears when someone lays down the Strength 8+ Ordnance template over our beloved Rubrics.

Anyway, the first step to collecting TS is to shoot yourself in the foot. It's symbolic.

With a Boltgun of course. :p

Bran Dawri
08-06-2006, 22:00
Are we?!?! I've been playing TS for ages and I'm still not sure what we're supposed to be. As far as I can tell, we're an army of expensive Marines who's Mark lets us spend more points on equally expensive Psychic Powers.

Let me rephrase that. Thousand Sons are a supposedly shooty army whose rules promote close combat.

Let's see. What's the major advantage of Thousand Sons marines? Having 2 wounds (duh) and fearlessness. What trumps this advantage? The autokill rule (which IMO should be abolished altogether, but that's a different topic).

What (common) shooting weapons autokill those 2-wound marines?
Lascannons
krak missiles
meltaweapons
railguns
most ordnance

What close combat weapons autokill?
MEQ powerfists
Carnifexes
Implant attacks.

Which of these are usually taken in greater number? The shooty weapons or the cc ones?

Couple that with being able to give your aspiring champion's "invisible" powerfist 17 ablative T4 3+ save wounds, ability to rapid-fire *and* assault, throw in Rubric terminators, and you've got something that can be quite fearsome in cc.

This is compounded by the lack of squad-based heavy -or even special- weapons. These have to either be put on tanks, or given to your already expensive psykers at 2-3 times the cost for regular heavy weapons with half the range (and all being negatable by one opposing model).