PDA

View Full Version : painting samm hein eldar

Camman1984
13-12-2013, 13:09
Was going to post this in painting forum but nobody seems to respond there. I want to paint som samm hein but have had trouble with red in the past. I dont want a 25 step job with loads of 10% mix intervals as i dont get a lot of paibting time. Ideally i want a schene which looks effective and is

1. Undercoat spray
2. Colour spray
3. Wash for detail
4. Dry brush
5. Edge

For both red bits and white bits.

Thanks

Beppo1234
13-12-2013, 13:12
take out drybrush for step 4, and replace it with highlight... and you'll get such a better result. I think dry brushing should be avoided at all costs

for my reds, I like to mix in scorched earth/rhinox hide into my undercoat or wash. Dark brown works better on red. in steps
1)prime, black
2)basecoat (though I don't have red spray, I just paint on red + brown)
2)wash, red + dark brown
3)highlight, red
4)edge highlight, whatever you use (I use fortress grey)

Latro_
13-12-2013, 13:17
Should really be in painting forum, but i know what you mean :D. Try setting up a log and linking it in your sig with some test models that normally gets a good bit of feedback.

I find khorne red as a base is pretty good with a black wash then build up khorne red again, then a liberal highlight almost layer of wazdakka red then a highlight of any of the oranges gw do to taste then a very very fine highliight of Lugganath Orange

not eldar but thats what i did on this guy http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3814/11018189663_c00e77a593_b.jpg

Camman1984
13-12-2013, 13:35
My steps list was just an example so highlighting is fine. Been looking at sprays, anyone know if either of the army painter sprays is a good red? I have had great success with their range.