PDA

View Full Version : Horus Heresy armour colour schemes during the battle on Terra

draccan
13-12-2013, 13:43
I wonder what armour that Heresy marines will wear during the battle of Terra. What do you guys think and what does the fluff say?
World Eaters for example - I know their painted their armour red. Do you think it will be before? I am kinda tempted to do them with Iron armour and blue and white.

And what will Marines get for the battle for Terra? They shall know no fear? Siege advantages? I mean Heresy legions get demons so what will balance the legions out by that time?

Edit: I know that many legions continued using older armour marks - I was imprecise above. I am more looking for colour scheme info.

Navar
13-12-2013, 14:26
I wonder what armour that Heresy marines will wear during the battle of Terra. What do you guys think and what does the fluff say?
World Eaters for example - I know their painted their armour red. Do you think it will be before? I am kinda tempted to do them with Iron armour and blue and white.

And what will Marines get for the battle for Terra? They shall know no fear? Siege advantages? I mean Heresy legions get demons so what will balance the legions out by that time?

The Legions I know the most about are the Iron Hands and the Death Guard.

The Iron Hands would be fragmented still at the Battle on Terra, but most would wear Iron Armour I would assume. I think that they would have spread their TDA out to their sergeants by this point.
The Death Guard would all have been plague marines by this time so what Mark of Armour they were in becomes more or less moot.

I would assume that the Loyalists would have the advantage of fighting a defense battle to balance out the advantages of the traitors.
Also there are more loyalists because the traitors had to purge their own legions of loyalists members.

So I would say that the loyalists get numerical superiority and advantageous positioning.

AndrewGPaul
13-12-2013, 18:02

Both sides had quite widespread access to mark six armour by that point, with the loyalists also having access to mark seven.

draccan
13-12-2013, 20:09
I think I wrote the above too quickly before *ahem* leaving work.. I was really more thinking about colour schemes...

Navar
13-12-2013, 20:14
I think I wrote the above too quickly before *ahem* leaving work.. I was really more thinking about colour schemes...

Sorry. My comments didn't help either.

For Iron Hands I would go with the "Standard." And for Death Guard I would go with "Plague Marine" though.

Beppo1234
13-12-2013, 21:19
I wanna know this too, thinking of starting BAs for the final showdown.

Rolsheen
15-12-2013, 13:20
I'm pretty sure the World Eaters still had the white and blue armour at the Siege of the Emperors Palace, the Death Guard were well on the way to Plague Marine colours.

draccan
15-12-2013, 13:35
What about Sons of Horus?

Sandlemad
15-12-2013, 14:10
Death Guard should definitely be Plague Marines, though perhaps not quite to the same extent as 40k DG. They'd only been blessed by Nurgle for a matter of weeks or months so you would most likely be able to distinguish the original colours under all that filth and there wouldn't be quite as much mutation. Then again, time in the warp is weird so maybe not.

World Eaters probably had their bloodstained original colours, though there's a reference in one of the short stories to some adopting red colouration on part of their armour to show their devotion to Angron. 'Blood cults' or something, could be tied to Angron being newly daemonic.

Word Bearers should be almost entirely red. By Calth the red was for more than the Gal Vorbak so it would probably have spread to all but a few straggler fleets by now.

Emperor's Children would have been their riot of colours by the siege.

The FW books say that the Sons of Horus scheme darkened from a sea-green to a 'murky verdigris' over time but then this may be simply to account for the fact that the SoH scheme is a tricky one to get right for painters and there's a lot of variability in both art and peoples' models.
The FW scheme used for their Reavers has a very dark metallic green with elements of a paler green. Given that the legion was supposedly more 'Cthonian' in culture by the heresy and that its organisation gradually changed from one based on chain-of-command to one with more focus on underlying force of particular personalities and warbands (as seen in the growth in Reaver formations and the increasing amount of 'Chieftains'), you could maybe use this as a guideline on colours? Those parts of the legion which have adopted a warband style of warfare may well have been darker than others, making large chunks of the legion much darker than the initial SoH scheme.

I am fairly sure that the Rubric was cast by Ahriman some time between the fall of Prospero and the Siege of Terra. The Thousand Sons were supposed to have thrown in their lot with the traitors by the siege but it's hard to make a definite statement about their colours then. In Ahriman: Exile, Ahriman seemed to be seeing Amon's warband's blue (40k-style) colours for the first time but there's a picture in Collected Visions with Amon (looking like Ahriman) in blue, so the TS forces on Terra might have been clad in blue or a mix of red and blue, depending on the force.

Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion ought to be the same, though Scars made mention of the AL having a mix of explicit hydra symbols and the chained alpha as emblems. Considering it's the Alpha Legion though, anything goes.

The Imperial Fists, Blood Angels and White Scars should all have looked more or less as usual, colour scheme-wise.

Kijamon
15-12-2013, 14:36
I think the World Eaters were still mostly the old scheme but it was due to the heavy fighting on Terra that their army became stained red and thus became the norm.

Tamwulf
15-12-2013, 14:50
The Sons of Horus had converted over to the green/black by Isstavan, and I believe it wasn't until Abbadon took over after Horus' death that they became the 'Black Legion' and painted their armor all black.

Charistoph
16-12-2013, 03:38
Even then, Abbadon and his company were still colored in black, as most first companies traditionally were.

Fizzy
16-12-2013, 06:11
Not many legions change color at all. Word Bearers use red and silver as of today. Death guards are probably not green fully yet but a mix of their old colour scheme and nurgle rot. World Eaters I would say white and blue. Not until they split that they changed colours. Emperors children a bit more pink I would say.

Iron hands same, Ultramarines same, Salamanders same. All loyalists are the same except Space wolves and Dark Angels. They got brighter colours.

So not much changes until after The Siege of Terra.

Nazguire
16-12-2013, 08:51
World Eaters are depicted as still white and blue at the Siege of Terra, but much of the CCG artwork has been retconned in the novels. I'd say go with the red and bronze like they are now, because by that stage Angron would have been a daemon for a few years and the corruption of the Legion to Khorne pretty much complete.
Death Guard are Plague Marines by the time they hit Terra. So I'd be saying that they'd look like the models are currently painted.
Thousand Sons are meant to still be their red and silver or gold. The Rubricae that changed their colours are apparently those that followed Ahriman, according to Ahriman: Exile
Sons of Horus would be that brutal dark green colour that they are being painted as nowadays by FW.
Emperor's Children are well and truly Noise Marines by the time of the Heresy
Iron Warriors never changed their colours
Word Bearers are the crimson and silver.
Alpha Legion are a complete enigma.
Night Lords never changed their colours, just added more symbols of death and skulls after the Heresy, so they'd be the same still also.

TheFang
16-12-2013, 21:21
The oldest miniature material from the Games Day display (http://www.sodemons.com/gwmuseum/horus/index.htm) has the World Eaters in full Khorne rune helmets and the Sons of Horus in black.

The Loyalists would be the same as today.WE have probably become full blown Khorne followers. Some still in the blue and white but most daubed in blood. I'd go with Nazguire for the rest.

Tygre
16-12-2013, 22:58
I think only the loyalists would have Mk 6 armour. The Raven Guard invented it after Istvaan. So mainly Mk 5 "Heresy" armour and earlier marks.

Fizzy
16-12-2013, 23:32
The oldest miniature material from the Games Day display (http://www.sodemons.com/gwmuseum/horus/index.htm) has the World Eaters in full Khorne rune helmets and the Sons of Horus in black.

The Loyalists would be the same as today.WE have probably become full blown Khorne followers. Some still in the blue and white but most daubed in blood. I'd go with Nazguire for the rest.

That is old info you are basing it on. New info shows that WE did not become "full blown" Khorne followers until after Siege of Terra.