PDA

View Full Version : Commissar

Colonel Lexx
15-12-2013, 01:59
Can a Lord Commissar take command of a platoon of say two-three squads?

MajorWesJanson
15-12-2013, 02:10
Can a Lord Commissar take command of a platoon of say two-three squads?

As a leader in battle? Sure, happens all the time. That is sometimes part of his job description. As the administrative leader of the force at all times? No, not normally. They exist outside the chain of command, barring a few exceptions like Gaunt who is a dual Colonel-Commissar.

If the Commissar asks say a Colonel or Major "I need x squads of men to join me in an assault, or hold the line, or X mission," or even if he just goes up to the men and says "you squads, follow me!" then go for it. But they aren't going to be "his squads", he isn't likely to keep them after a battle. It's not like an Inquisitor officially inducting troops into his service.

Colonel Lexx
15-12-2013, 14:13
i was curious because after some thinking i've decided to bulk up my imperial guard army instead of starting my allied army which will draw attention away from them so i'm sticking with the imperial guard army for the time being.

But i have a lord commissar and i'm aware in the codex he is a HQ unit on his own so if i bought 4 boxes of cadian shock troops which would give 7 squads but a command squad can only command up to 5 of them leaving 3 without a leader so unless i bought another command squad i was wondering if the lord commissar can command them instead during a skirmish.

Rolsheen
15-12-2013, 14:23
If you made them veterans I think you can. Commissar ( HQ ), Veterans ( Troops )

OuroborosTriumphant
16-12-2013, 00:16
A Commissar Lord might well decide to, say, accompany D Platoon as they assault the enemy position and that event could well be a whole 40k-scale battle. The Commissar Lord would not be in "command" precisely; the lieutenant of D Platoon would be in command and the commissar would be providing leadership, advice and oversight. But he could still be your Warlord in game terms; the co-coordinating centre of the taskforce whose death represents a significant blow.

Alternatively, Commissars can shoot an officer of almost any rank for cowardice, gross incompetence or disobeying orders and assume temporary command. So the Commissar Lord might be leading D Platoon because Lieutenant So-And-So freaked out in the heat of battle and needed to be executed as an example for the men. Lieutenant So-And-So will be replaced in due time, but until things get sorted out, the Commissar Lord is in charge.

Finally, the situation of Commissar-Colonel Ibram Gaunt is rare, not unique, so if you like your Commissar Lord could be a Commissar-Lieutenant and therefore both D Platoon's commissar and commanding officer.

Hal'jin
16-12-2013, 08:17
But i have a lord commissar and i'm aware in the codex he is a HQ unit on his own so if i bought 4 boxes of cadian shock troops which would give 7 squads but a command squad can only command up to 5 of them leaving 3 without a leader so unless i bought another command squad i was wondering if the lord commissar can command them instead during a skirmish.

How do 4 boxes give anything more than 4 squads? You do know 20-man boxes are long gone?
And anyway, rules-wise: No way.

Colonel Lexx
16-12-2013, 15:40
i already have two squads and a special weapons team Hal'jin that is why i would have 7 squads.
So i would need another command squad then.

Griefbringer
22-12-2013, 09:53
Platoon command squad can command 5 infantry squads AND 0-2 special weapon squads.

Thus with 1 platoon command squad, 6 infantry squads and 1 special weapon squad you would only have 1 infantry squad that does not fit the organisation (though as others have mentioned, you could upgrade this squad into veterans - or even penal legion).

Alternatively, you could easily turn your special weapon squad into a platoon command squad, by building one of the new models you bought into an officer (rummage your bits box for any leftover bits from your previous command squad).