PDA

View Full Version : Crusader Alternatives

MikeyB
17-12-2013, 16:41
I did a search but the only two threads i found where from 2011 so i figured I'd ask and see if anything new has come up since.

Basically I want a shed load of crusaders for my sisters and inquisition but i don't fancy paying a fiver each soooooooooooooooo

Any ideas? I'm after guys in plater armour with swords and shields. I've looked at the fantasy range and there's nothing really appeals. Menoth paladins would be good but they cost the same price >.<

Halp!? O.O

ehlijen
17-12-2013, 20:44
Bretonian men-at-arms? You don't get too many sword arms per box (though you get some), but in the whole fantasy range, they have pretty much the shieldiest shields and are, I believe, compatible with the IG head range. Though their platter helmets make for great inquisitorial mooks.

coldwar
17-12-2013, 20:44
Im wanting to do the same to.

At the moment I am toying with the idea of using Rohan foot swordsmen and axemen as Crusaders.
Though after seeing your idea of looking for plate armour, made me think of Gondorian models. Think they might look good, and then add some 40k bits and bobs on them, like purity seals etc.

MikeyB
17-12-2013, 21:07
I found these rather gorgeous things for shields

http://hitechminiatures.com/null/product/info/45

Are the lord of the rings models the right scale?

coldwar
17-12-2013, 21:10
Lord of the rings is 28 scale. But they are at actual scale, not 40k's heroic 28 scale.
Meaning they are just a little shorter, by one head (Human to human-Rohan warrior to a Guardsmen), but are at actual scale of what 28 scale is.

Son of Morkai
17-12-2013, 21:45
The smaller size and more realistic armor means that LotR models will look like children wearing costumes instead of big beefy men covered in armor slabs. Up to you if that's good or bad.

Hengist
17-12-2013, 22:24
Even allowing for 40k's wild inconsistencies of scale, LotR infantry will look pretty weird next to 40k's.

I'd consider adding greenstuff cloaks and tabards to some plastic marines, and arming them with power swords and big plastic fantasy shields with some =I= brass etch.

DeathGlam
17-12-2013, 22:42
I used a selection of parts from Anvil Industries to build mine, not sure if they will be much cheaper but meant i had a big unit of them with variaty.

Spiney Norman
17-12-2013, 23:00
Even allowing for 40k's wild inconsistencies of scale, LotR infantry will look pretty weird next to 40k's.

I'd consider adding greenstuff cloaks and tabards to some plastic marines, and arming them with power swords and big plastic fantasy shields with some =I= brass etch.

Or you could, you know, buy marines that already have tabards...

I converted Dark angel veterans for my crusaders (but left off the shoulder pads), gave them each a power weapon and an Bretonnian men-at-arms shield from my bitz box and they're good to go, I discovered that its actually quite easy to turn the DA chapter symbol on the tabards into a winged inquisition "I" with a bit of green stuff. Definitely easier than trying to sculpt a Greenstuff cloak if you ask me. My second batch I ran out of spare MaA shields and used knightly order shields instead, a bit smaller but they still look great.

MikeyB
17-12-2013, 23:35
oooh are there enough parts for a power sword each in that DA vets box?

Spiney Norman
18-12-2013, 00:26
oooh are there enough parts for a power sword each in that DA vets box?

Not, there aren't, I think there are one or possibly two, I had to fish around in my bitz box for a few of them, I think a few came from the Ravenwing command squad or the black Templar upgrade frame (definitely made an axe crusader from BT bits)

MikeyB
18-12-2013, 00:56
I think the best bet then might be green stuffing robes onto a vanguard squad made up with TH/SS since there's enough on the frames for all 5. It's a shame DW knights are in termy armour they'd be perfect ^_^

MikeyB
18-12-2013, 01:11
Massive facepalm moment. the grey knights marine box may just come with everything i need.....

Cut the bolters off and stick shields on to cover up the snipping some of them already have robes and there's 5 swords per box. Derp.

MikeyB
18-12-2013, 02:49
I'm sure someone posted a random picture of some centurions O.o is gone now so now I look like a nut case >.<

All you cookies are belong to me!

toonboy78
18-12-2013, 10:27
depending on what the rest of the retinue looks like one possibility is to use the necromunda arbite enforcers. just change the power maul to the sword