PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Skaven Host!

Gintonpar
19-12-2013, 10:07
Hi Folks,

I’ve been looking to get into WFB for a while now, and was keen to set up a horde army. I was initially attracted to Night Goblins (Fanatics, Doom Divers etc), and painted up some of these.

However, I began to feel after a while that the Night Goblin Horde was more of a facet or a tactic of O&G rather than an army in its own right. To this end I looked at the next most obvious horde – Skaven. They seem like they have a huge amount of versatility, and could be a good long term project in that they could be built around ‘elite’ units like the Rat Ogres/SV etc or they can have toys like the Hell Pits and Warpfire teams.

I’m looking for some advice on how to construct a thousand point army based mainly around infantry, along with some ability to deal with high toughness creatures, and would appreciate any advice that you guys have!

fairy drowner
19-12-2013, 20:13
i would suggest this;

rat ogres- dont take them. While they may look good on paper they tend to get shot down VERY quickly and they are also very evpensive

imo u should take lots of slaves and a warp lightning cannon. Charge the slaves into units and then blow the entire combat to hell with the WLC and if u have points to spare then take either some plague monks, stormvermin, or clanrats.

this is only how id choose to make a skaven/horde army. But then again im no expert so all of the above might make you lose
J

Gintonpar
22-12-2013, 23:23
So I got hold of the army book and came up with a mini list for 1000 points.

The theory was to put in a couple of units that would be impossible to deal with at this low points level, while also swamping the opponent with numbers.

The chieftain and bsb would both go in the clanrat bunker, protected by the rattling gun to discourage any sneaky units trying to close on them. The bunker would be screened by the skavenslave blocks with the small unit of rat ogres hopefully proving enough of a distraction to let the abomination hit the battle line. Also considering dropping the ratling gun for a couple of giant rats/swarms.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Chieftain w/hand weapon and shield and foul pendant - 75

Chieftain, BSB, shield - 72

30 clanrats, sword and shield, musician - 126

Ratling gun - 55

100 Slaves, 2 blocks, shields and musicians - 254

4 rat ogres, 2 pack masters - 176

Total points 993

I'm a bit concerned I'm totally ignoring magic. If need be at 1000 points I can drop the ratling gun and squeeze an engineer in. Thanks for reading!

SSquirrel
23-12-2013, 05:02
I saw the title of the thread and I pictured a Grey Seer hosting the Tonight Show. *grin*

jacob grimes
24-12-2013, 05:35
So I got hold of the army book and came up with a mini list for 1000 points.

The theory was to put in a couple of units that would be impossible to deal with at this low points level, while also swamping the opponent with numbers.

The chieftain and bsb would both go in the clanrat bunker, protected by the rattling gun to discourage any sneaky units trying to close on them. The bunker would be screened by the skavenslave blocks with the small unit of rat ogres hopefully proving enough of a distraction to let the abomination hit the battle line. Also considering dropping the ratling gun for a couple of giant rats/swarms.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Chieftain w/hand weapon and shield and foul pendant - 75

Chieftain, BSB, shield - 72

30 clanrats, sword and shield, musician - 126

Ratling gun - 55

100 Slaves, 2 blocks, shields and musicians - 254

4 rat ogres, 2 pack masters - 176

Total points 993

I'm a bit concerned I'm totally ignoring magic. If need be at 1000 points I can drop the ratling gun and squeeze an engineer in. Thanks for reading!

A better list would run something like chieftain with ogre blade and a decent save, lvl 2 warlock with a doom rocket or similiar given how limited magic is at 1k. Fit up 2 naked slave blocks of 40 each, and 1 block of 40 with shields. Use the rest of the points for either of the following combos: (doom wheel, warp lightning cannon, 2 rat ogres) or (2 HPAs, 2 rat darts and a few more slaves for the blocks). Finish off with either gutter runners for flanking setups or field a small clanrat group or globadiers.

Gintonpar
24-12-2013, 08:39
I suppose my issue with that list is it has no bsb, and wouldn't 2hpas would be illegal at 1k as they'd take up almost 50% army points? Also where would the warlock go? One of the naked slave units?

Just playing with ideas thanks for suggestions

The French Guy
24-12-2013, 11:44
Hi!
I think I would try something along:

Grey seer.
Chief: BSB.

50 slaves
50 slaves
20 clanrats: warpfire thrower.
20 clanrats: warpfire thrower.

Warpfire cannon
Warpfire cannon

Just glue people with the slaves and then shoot the hell out of it: cannons/ throwers/ 13th them/ etc....
And enjoy the rerollable LD10 of the slaves.

Gintonpar
24-12-2013, 13:13
Surely grey seer plus chieftain goes over 25% lords and heroes?

Nice idea though with the glue in place and shoot! That sounds really effective

jacob grimes
24-12-2013, 15:49
I suppose my issue with that list is it has no bsb, and wouldn't 2hpas would be illegal at 1k as they'd take up almost 50% army points? Also where would the warlock go? One of the naked slave units?

Just playing with ideas thanks for suggestions

Woops, so it would. Go with the doomwheel and wlc then or 2 wlc then. Also The french guy has it right, a cheiftain comes from 25% heroes and the seer is a lord so no conflict there.

Gintonpar
24-12-2013, 18:08
yep you're right, good shout! will have a think about that. What is the general opinion on the Skaven skirmishers? The verminlord looks really tempting for 2.5k plus...

Valkyrie Sky
24-12-2013, 20:59
Add some doomwheels, they are extremely adept at hunting anything large and monstrous.

jacob grimes
25-12-2013, 00:49
yep you're right, good shout! will have a think about that. What is the general opinion on the Skaven skirmishers? The verminlord looks really tempting for 2.5k plus...

never ever take a vermin lord, 500 pts is a lot of other things that skaven can do a lot better... Hes a caster and a combat guy, so too much dual purpose garbage and consider that he costs 60 pts more than a grey seer on bell, only point would be a fluffy list.

underscore
26-12-2013, 22:15
Surely grey seer plus chieftain goes over 25% lords and heroes?

Nope, it's 25% Lords and 25% Heroes, not combined so you can have both.

SkavenInAZ
31-12-2013, 03:46
For anti monsters, you have a couple options... Hellpit, 2x Warp Lightning Cannons, or a Warlord with the Fellblade. Love the warlord as everyone is scared to death of him, but for low points, I'd do a Seer for magic and LD, a BSB mostly naked, a couple big bricks of slaves and a bunker to hold the charaters in. Add rare to taste and you're mostly good.