PDA

View Full Version : SST total noob q & a

Sleazy
08-06-2006, 22:40
Am thinking about buying the SST box set but would like a few pointers..

Is it worth the cash?

would i be better with the hardback version?

I like the look of that 20 mini light infantry box set thingy.. sounds a bargain! am i missing something here?

How does it play?

Is the game still fun for someone like me who loves reading rules/fluff and building/painting armies but doesnt actually PLAY that much??

any advice would be great guys, thanks.

Col_Stone
09-06-2006, 03:58
I read the rules, after that i bought and painted a 3000+ force of MI without even a trialgame,, that's how much i enjoyed reading the rules:)

the boxed set is a bargain too, you actually get everything you need to play, there are armylists in the book for Cap troopers incl marauders (none for light MI or pathfinders tho)
and arachnids

Not exactly the same as the ones in the armybooks but good enough to learn the game from. (much better than GWs 3rd ed bbb-lists)

KingNic
09-06-2006, 10:05
Yes. I managed to get 2 tournament sized armies for 200 - cheaper than a single tournament sized army for GW.

Maybe. I think it's more of a collectors item though, or for people who dont want the armies in the box set.

It's a bargain. They were origionally gonna be plastic, but the few pictures of the plastic version released were pretty much hated globally, so mongoose resculpted them and released them as metal, while honoring the origional price.

It's what 40k should be.

Yes :) Make sure you grab a copy of the starship troopers novel.

Sleazy
09-06-2006, 10:09
cheers guys, looking forward to buying it now.

What are the plastic minis you get in the box like? couldnt really tell from looing at the box.

KingNic
09-06-2006, 10:35
They're fantastic. Keep in mind that they're realistic scale rather than heroic scale, they are a little funky at first. Once you get used to the idea of realistic scale though, you'll love em.

The supposedly poor MI sculpts are actually really good. As previously mentioned, mongoose miniatures look MUCH better in the flesh than in photos.

And to say that the Arachnids look amazing in photos, take 3 guesses as to how good they in the flesh ;)

Rabid Bunny 666
09-06-2006, 12:25
I've only played 2 properish games, just ironing out the rules, but i'm already the proud owner of an almost complete MI force, started a Marauder platoon, and a BIg bug army, its pretty neat

Sleazy
09-06-2006, 15:49
kinda a silly question but how does it compare to say Nids V guard in 40k??

Rabid Bunny 666
09-06-2006, 16:10
A bit, but the Guard are better armoured and quicker, and the 'nids are better at duffin' stuff up

KingNic
09-06-2006, 23:30
Arachnids = army made of Tyranid warriors and carnifexs.

CAP troopers (the ones you get in the box) = Slightly less well armoured space marines, but faster and backed up with FAST dreadnoughts.

Light armoured MI (from the movie) = imperial guard infantry.

Exosuit MI (powersuit from the book) = jumpack terminators with NUKES. NUKES I SAY!

swordwind
12-06-2006, 01:04
The reason the LAMI are so cheap is because Mongoose Promised that the box would be 15 for 20. This was when they were plastics. The first run came back from the factory and they were awful. Production quality was horrific. So Mongoose canceled the production, had them quickly resculpted and cast them in metal. They kept the price to 15 because they had promised that would be the price.

Col_Stone
14-06-2006, 17:39
mongoose are good at customercare in general, replacement parts and stuff like that..

boogle
19-06-2006, 19:58
i'm not that fond of the MI TBH, i prefer the Light Infantry models

Simon, are you taking advantage of Forbidden Planet's 10% discount on certain SST models

Sleazy
21-06-2006, 07:46
yeah I noticed that, TM are the same and also promise to match FP. was not so impressed that TM have just stopped the 10% off Warmachine tho.