PDA

View Full Version : new fantasy rules

bluebugs
09-06-2006, 03:13
might be going back to 40K when the orcs get a new book. anyway i was just wondering if wizards would have the ability to CHOOSE their spell. I just think it's kinda stupid that my slan has out-lived entire races and yet he cannot control when spells he knows.:wtf:

NakedFisherman
09-06-2006, 03:24
The winds of magic are fickle.

No, wizards won't be able to choose spells.

ZomboCom
09-06-2006, 08:28
No chance of wizards being able to choose their spells, since that would make the high elf seer ability utterly useless.

Archaon
09-06-2006, 09:02
Go play old school Dungeons and Dragons where you have to re-memorize a spell each day :D

The Judge
09-06-2006, 10:48
It is a shame, but it adds something to the game I think. At least we don't have the card system anymore *shudders*

mageith
09-06-2006, 13:15
It is a shame, but it adds something to the game I think.
I agree but the spells are currently of such uneven usability, that certain armies would have a great advantage.

That the seer ability would be lost is no biggie but the fact, at least in my experience, that the HE players almost always use it is evidence of the uneveness of spells.

On the other hand, two of the best spells in the game are already defaults.

jansenm
09-06-2006, 13:31
well if u are vs lizardmen
then wat? guarantee the comet of casandora
no way

L-Train
09-06-2006, 14:01
I hated those damn cards... it was worse with the magic items... having to dig through the damn box... ugh...

bluebugs
09-06-2006, 14:04
yeah, the comet of cassandora was good, but then it got bogged down. Now the best spell imo is uranon's thunderbolt. But i suppose that rolling for spells isn't that bad-it just doesn't make sence.

Ironhand
18-06-2006, 12:56
Rolling for spells is one way to balance magic and put some variety into it. It does make sense from the point of view that how would you know what spells that wizard you recruited really had? Now admittedly this rationale fits some races (Orcs for instance) better than others.

As others have said, it still beats the card system by a mile.

mageith
18-06-2006, 19:19
Rolling for spells is one way to balance magic and put some variety into it. It does make sense from the point of view that how would you know what spells that wizard you recruited really had?

:) It only makes sense if that's the only way wizards join an army. Personally I can think of many other ways a wizard would join (be recruited by) an army and many of them would be based on what I (the general) knew the wizard knew from prior battles. In some cases, wizards even do the recruiting! (VC, Slann, High Elves).

Randomly rolling for spells is just a lazy or befuddled designer's solution to create some sort of balance where he equates randomization with balance.

A far out example: If I had a magic item that would either destroy your army or my army, 50/50 chance wouldn't that be (perfectly!) balanced? Half the time I would win and half the time you would win. But I don't think very many folks would call that fun.

1/8th of the time I would automatically win any three round tournament!

Now admittedly this rationale fits some races (Orcs for instance) better than others.

OK, you're right. With totally chaotic or insane races it does make some sense. :)

As others have said, it still beats the card system by a mile.
Right again. It's better than the previous bad way.

Designers could do so much better though.

Mage Ith

Stouty
18-06-2006, 19:40
What if you knew all of the spells from your lore up until your spell level +2. Par example a level 2 necromancer would know:
1-Invocation
2-Hand of dust
3-Hellish Vigor
4-Gaze of Nagash

but not

5-Danse macabre
6-Cures of beers.

However they could only ever cast the number of spells they have spell levels.

Dunno, would seem to make both more sense and be more controlled.

mageith
18-06-2006, 19:57
What if you knew all of the spells from your lore up until your spell level +2. Par example a level 2 necromancer would know:
1-Invocation
2-Hand of dust
3-Hellish Vigor
4-Gaze of Nagash

but not

5-Danse macabre
6-Cures of beers.

Pretty generous if you ask me. We've often played that wizards know spells up to their level, ie, use them as their default. Some folks think that's too generous.

Take a Wizard Lord under your rules. He'd automatically know all of his spells.

Again, the spells and lores are currently very unbalanced and giving all wizards a seer ability or even a modified seer ability will unfairly benefit those armies with the better lores available to them: VC, Orcs, Life armies and High Elves, Slaanesh.

How would it work for the Slann!!!

Mouldsta
18-06-2006, 20:47
It also depends on what order the good spells are in the lore - I don't think you'd see many tzeentch players complaining they didn't get indigo/violet fire as these are generally considered the worst spells in the lore.
It would be good for necrach vampires as well - being Lv3 count would assure you got invocation, hellish vigour and danse.

Lyonator
18-06-2006, 21:21
The spell selection system in place right now is fine.
I say that as someone who magehammered a whole lot before I switched from greenskins to Woodies...
Just like the <soon to be more dangerous> chances of magic backfiring, random spell selection keeps magic under control. Being able to swap for the first spell <often one of the best in the lore> rounds it out nicely.

All I know is, if I had been able to choose the warpath every time, I would have been set.
But where's the fun in that?

Ironhand
19-06-2006, 02:23
I agree with Lyonator. The spell selection system as it is works fine.

Strictly Commercial
19-06-2006, 07:39
I'm alright with people preferring the random spell generation, but what I don't understand is why, in keeping with that opinion, spells are subject to randomization and nothing else. For instance, nobody has to roll to see which melee or shooting weapons are used, artillery doesn't roll to see what kind of projectiles are fired, dwarf runes on artillery are not whimsically placed, etc. What confuses me is why random generation is considered okay for magic, but not for any other aspect of the game. Assuming WYSIWYG could be satisified, would those opposed to reducing randomness in magic be okay with everything else being subject tot he whim of fate?

Snoozer
19-06-2006, 11:04
In my gaming group we have a house rule so that every wizard can re-roll one of the dice when choosing spells, it's still quite random, but at least there is a less of an chance that you are stuck with nothing but crappy spells.

:D

Avian
19-06-2006, 11:56
I'm alright with people preferring the random spell generation, but what I don't understand is why, in keeping with that opinion, spells are subject to randomization and nothing else. For instance, nobody has to roll to see which melee or shooting weapons are used, artillery doesn't roll to see what kind of projectiles are fired, dwarf runes on artillery are not whimsically placed, etc.
Heh, I would be quite all right with paying, say, 60 pts and then getting a random O&G war machine / chariot, with the option of always choosing a Spear Chukka if I didn't like whatever else I rolled.

Example:
1: Spear Chukka
2: Pump Wagon
3: Wolf Chariot
4: Rock Lobber
5: Boar Chariot
6: Doom Diver

Gorbad Ironclaw
19-06-2006, 11:59
I'm alright with people preferring the random spell generation, but what I don't understand is why, in keeping with that opinion, spells are subject to randomization and nothing else.

It was in previous editions actually. Huge random charts for chaos at least, that could throw up all sorts of things(like chaos marines with plasma guns etc.). The problem starts when you need to have models to represent it.