PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my HE Mages

Mabbz101
23-12-2013, 22:34
I havnt built a list in 8th Ed yet so advice is needed from the collective wisdom of Warseer. So advice and thoughts on the following mage types:

ArchMage
Level 4
Talisman of Perseravtion
Book of Hoeth
Sun Dragon

This guy would take Lore of Shadows. The Dragon is for some hard hitting fear cause mayhem. I ran a similar setup in 7th Ed that worked well

Loremaster of Hoeth
Book of Ashur
Ruby Ring of Ruin

He would take his 8 signature spells

Mage
Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Mask of EEE

He would take high magic.

Need help on better builds! Advice welcome

innerwolf
23-12-2013, 22:42
If I was to use an Archmage on Dragon (of any kind) I would go for High Magic + Ironcurse Icon. A pair of successful spells and both of them suddenly hace a 4+ save against warmachines!

SteveW
23-12-2013, 23:01
Archmage + Loremaster + sun dragon = Lord points for a 3.5k army.

Starchild
24-12-2013, 04:51
Archmage + Loremaster + sun dragon = Lord points for a 3.5k army.

This. You can only spend up to 25% of your total points on Lords & Heroes, so taking all of these spell casters in one game requires 3,500 points or more. Some more context would be helpful. Which army is your most common opponent? Do you use only one of these spell casters per game, or only two, or all of them at once? :confused:

danny-d-b
24-12-2013, 05:22
right so your paying a load of points to send a mage with no save in to combat? the dragon won't be able to protect him that much

moonlapse
24-12-2013, 06:07
The mage would get into combat when he has that 3+ ward. Still too vulnerable for my liking but it would protect him enough from small weak units and chaff.

Mabbz101
24-12-2013, 17:16
They arnt all going into one list. My next game is 3000 points siege against both Orcs and VC. I want enough magic to cause serious damage against the orcs and enough magic to nulify the VC magic phase. Advice on better builds then the ones i posted above would be great, sarcastic comments not so great

SteveW
24-12-2013, 17:35
One level 4 is the best you can do to "nulify the VC magic phase". You don't get any real bonus for putting a bunch of extra mages in your list except a better chance at channeling a dispel die or two. So IMO the best magic defense for high elves is getting off fiery convocation in your own turn and making them burn their own magic phase to put out the flames or lose tonnes of models.

Lord Dan
24-12-2013, 22:41
I ran a similar setup in 7th Ed that worked well

Regrettably it won't work as well in 8th. You have a ton of points tied up into a vulnerable Lord who wants to avoid combat, riding a mount who wants to see combat. If you really want him to fly around I'd sit him on an eagle, which gives him +1 T and allows you to protect him and his mount (since they share a profile) with something simple like a 4++.

Kahadras
24-12-2013, 23:01
Need help on better builds! Advice welcome

OK

ArchMage
Level 4
Talisman of Perseravtion
Book of Hoeth
Sun Dragon

Remove the Dragon and he's fine. There's too many warmachines around at the moment that can easily deal with the Dragon. I'd also think about going for the Talisman of Endurance over the Talisman of Preservation as it can save you points.

Loremaster of Hoeth
Book of Ashur
Ruby Ring of Ruin

Massive waste of points if he's in the same list as the Archmage.

Mage
Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Mask of EEE

Better off just run with a Dispel Scroll

Mabbz101
24-12-2013, 23:34
would teclis be worth it? the ability to pick my spells would be useful

SimaoSegunda
25-12-2013, 08:52
Teclis is okay, the Everqueen is the cheese caster in HE armies though.

Imperator64
25-12-2013, 10:10
The book of hoeth is cheaper than the book of ashur and usually does the same job better so unless you want both lords in the same list i'd swap ashur out.
What's been said about the dragon is unfortunately true. Current rules make him an expensive risk.

Mabbz101
25-12-2013, 18:35
the Dragon is relegated back to prince duties. Whats the best way to use Teclis? i would love to use Pit of shades with him. anything that can remove entire units would be very useful

Lord Dan
25-12-2013, 20:08
Whats the best way to use Teclis? i would love to use Pit of shades with him. anything that can remove entire units would be very useful

He was hit with the same nerf bat reserved for the likes of Slaans and the entire Daemons of Chaos army, so he's tricky to use well in my opinion. His biggest drawback is his pricetag, which is, sadly, significantly higher than it was with his superior 7th edition version. I feel you'll get a lot more mileage out of either the Everqueen or even a regular Lv. 4 with the Book of Hoeth. Teclis' only real strength over the other two is his ability to choose his spells, which you're paying a heck of a lot to do.

That said, if you're determined to use him, run him with the "choose one spell from each lore" ability over "all the spells in High Magic" (primarily because you're paying for that ability either way). His ideal spell arsenal comes down to your army construction and local meta, however if I were running him in an all-comers tournament I would likely go with:

Wyssan's Wildform
Spirit Leech
Fireball
Comet of Casandora
Dweller's Below
Pha's Protection
Glittering Robe
Okkam's Mindrazor

I hope this helps.

Baluc
26-12-2013, 01:43
would teclis be worth it? the ability to pick my spells would be useful

The Strength of Teclis is that you can take exaclty the spells you want, or that compliment your army and leave the rest.

A list with White Lions and Swordmasters might take something like:
Flaming Sword
Wildform/Curse of Anrhier
Pha's Protection
Harmonic Convergence
Enchanted Blades
Dwellers Bellow
Mystifying Miasma
Purple Sun

A list with Phoenix Gaurd, will want mindrazor, a list with more shooting probably want withering, and flame cage for shackling movement.

He also doesn't need a second mage as he comes with a scroll, and is ld 10. He comes with the problem of keeping him safe though?

Moss
26-12-2013, 01:52
Back to the original post, what's the deal with the Ruby Ring on the Loremaster? He already has three magic missiles; have you really found yourself needing a fourth?

Baluc
26-12-2013, 02:03
Back to the original post, what's the deal with the Ruby Ring on the Loremaster? He already has three magic missiles; have you really found yourself needing a fourth?

+d3 to cast the second fireball puts the 3d6 mm in contention.

Lord Dan
26-12-2013, 02:16
+d3 to cast the second fireball puts the 3d6 mm in contention.

Actually the +D3 doesn't add anything in this case. A Lv. 4 only fails the roll on a 1 or a 2 regardless of the D3 result.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you mean. Ruby Ring first, then you cast the 3D6 Fireball.

Mabbz101
26-12-2013, 19:11
Thanks Dan.

In regards to the Loremaster, I was hoping to use the ring first and then throw the fireball using the 3D6. HE would be bunkered with a Large Swordmaster unit. In honesty i just finished painting the model and wanted to test him.

Teclis would be my main guy using the selection of spells listed above, I got the battle magic cards for Christmas so i will go through them and see what they do as i havnt played an 8th ed game yet.

Im concerned about this 2 v 1 siege game coming up. Generally the Orc player wont use magic against me as every game i dominated the phase, its the VC guy im worried about as his magic is deadly. More help as im pretty much getting back into gaming after about 3 years of just painting and modelling, so the advice is very much appreciated

Lord Dan
26-12-2013, 20:04
With the Book of Hoeth, one of your Lv. 4's will shut down just about anything he tries to push through.

boli
27-12-2013, 07:17

I prefer ring of khaine as the ability to improve the ward save on the unit is very handy... Although book of hoeth and a 4++ is tailor made at 100 points so that's always a good combo.