PDA

View Full Version : the taint of chaos as applied to consumables and supplies.

=Angel=
24-12-2013, 01:14
There's some nice ammo boxes that have been part of 40k scenery forever. A few rockets, loads of bullets and bolter mags.

What gets me though- if they are imperial they'll have eagles and litanies of faith and detestation on them. Orks might not care and chaos marines might not be too fussed.

But the other way round? Would imperial marines fire bolter rounds that had runes inscribed with dark runes?

Something I'd been thinking about is that the taint of chaos goes one way. Men convert to chaos but they don't turn back to the emperor except posthumously.
Tanks mutate tentacles and are possessed and there are no exorcisms to reclaim them?

In the hh series a daemon prince causes a ship's water supplies to turn to blood and the decks to warp.
Can warp touched stuff be reclaimed from the forces of chaos- ammo, food, machines?

MajorWesJanson
24-12-2013, 01:56
There's some nice ammo boxes that have been part of 40k scenery forever. A few rockets, loads of bullets and bolter mags.

What gets me though- if they are imperial they'll have eagles and litanies of faith and detestation on them. Orks might not care and chaos marines might not be too fussed.

But the other way round? Would imperial marines fire bolter rounds that had runes inscribed with dark runes?

Something I'd been thinking about is that the taint of chaos goes one way. Men convert to chaos but they don't turn back to the emperor except posthumously.
Tanks mutate tentacles and are possessed and there are no exorcisms to reclaim them?

In the hh series a daemon prince causes a ship's water supplies to turn to blood and the decks to warp.
Can warp touched stuff be reclaimed from the forces of chaos- ammo, food, machines?

We know that some weapons can be reconsecrated and reused, but it seems that often it is not worth the effort- barring complex or relic wargear, is is easier to just build a new leman russ than try to purify a corrupted one. Something like a Titan on the other hand will be salvaged if possible and restored to loyalist service.

m1acca1551
24-12-2013, 02:06
I'm fairly certain that marines will use chaos gear in a pinch aslong as it isn't overtly corrupted, ie pick up a bolt gun that has tentacles that move as it fires, or a daemon sword...

But then again, to the starch and puritanical members of the chapter it's a step on the road to damnation, so it would vary.

Lord Zarkov
24-12-2013, 16:00
I'm fairly certain that marines will use chaos gear in a pinch aslong as it isn't overtly corrupted, ie pick up a bolt gun that has tentacles that move as it fires, or a daemon sword...

But then again, to the starch and puritanical members of the chapter it's a step on the road to damnation, so it would vary.
Chapter Masters & Primarchs have certainly been shown willing to use artefacts reclaimed from Chaos

IIRC both the Gauntlets of Ultramar and the Axe Morkai were taken from Chaos worshippers.

Camman1984
24-12-2013, 16:20
When i read consumables i instantly thought of the cheese of nurgle (primula) yeuck!!

Or maybe the chocolate of khorne, the toblerone!!

SpanielBear
24-12-2013, 18:56
Nougat for the nougat throne!!!!

25-12-2013, 01:21
the 13th company of space wolves had salvaged choas armour and equipment to resupply themself , so the math in here is you got to do what you got to do in order to win . but than again are they going to salvaging the terminator armour form a nurgle champion ?

kamedake88
25-12-2013, 17:48
Am I the only one who imagined a grain of rice with horns and a tiny mouth yelling blood for the blood god?

=Angel=
26-12-2013, 09:11
the 13th company of space wolves had salvaged choas armour and equipment to resupply themself , so the math in here is you got to do what you got to do in order to win . but than again are they going to salvaging the terminator armour form a nurgle champion ?they survived the eye of terror and came out loyalist.
A few bolter shells with eight pointed stars were the least of their worries.

Romanov77
27-12-2013, 22:00
I wonder how many guardsmen have met their demise at the hands of a commissar for having scavenged the wrong lasgun power pack...

cpl_hicks
28-12-2013, 22:53
I'm sure in one of the later Ghosts novels a chaos lasgun is used by a guardsmen, and he worries about being find out by commisars

31-12-2013, 07:50
they survived the eye of terror and came out loyalist.
A few bolter shells with eight pointed stars were the least of their worries. ture but what about a salvage terminator armour form a nurgle lord .

Denny
31-12-2013, 09:31
true but what about a salvage terminator armour form a nurgle lord?.

Might be worth rinsing it out before you get in . . .

Polaria
31-12-2013, 12:51
I'm sure there are very strict regulations on NOT using anything that has even been handled by Chaos Troops. However, whether an average Space Marine has any idea on how bad idea it may be would depend very much on circumstances and chapter in question. I'm sure Imperial Guardsman would have no clue at all, he has been told not to but knowing "why not" is none of his business.

In any case one thing which Chaos doesn't do is consistency. One day a terminator armour used by a Champion of Nurgle might be okay once it is well washed and the rust is cleared out. On another day a single bolter round might carry a horrible nurgle's rot that would wipe out a whole company worth of marines and turn them to zombies... and unless you were a highly-trained exorcist like a Grey Knight Purifier you would have no chance of telling the "okay" stuff from the "potential genocide risk" stuff.

m3ntor
02-01-2014, 03:20
I recall someone on one of the forums describing a story from RT days where there was a writing desk in use by the Imperium that was possessed by Chaos. IIRC it managed to corrupt an Inquisitor, untold administrative staff and most of a Space Marine chapter.

quantumcollider
02-01-2014, 18:15
Keep in mind that spikes and chaos runes on an item does not necessarily mean it is tainted. The previous owner perhaps just added them as a sign of allegiance or to draw favour of the Chaos Gods. That does not mean he actually succeeded it attracting their gaze or their power into the item.

=Angel=
03-01-2014, 00:38
Keep in mind that spikes and chaos runes on an item does not necessarily mean it is tainted. The previous owner perhaps just added them as a sign of allegiance or to draw favour of the Chaos Gods. That does not mean he actually succeeded it attracting their gaze or their power into the item.

That's a good point. Cultists scribbling eightpointed stars or whatever on their rags doesn't give them magic powers right away.
I suppose it depends on the length of service etc.

But apparently chaos runes hurt your eyes when you look at them. I always assumed the runes themselves had some innate power, if only to draw the attention of the gods.

Supposedly they reclaim starship hulks from chaos and then return them to service- I imagine there'd be an awful lot of chanting involved though.

TheBigBadWolf
05-01-2014, 18:13
I think they would only use them in dire needs, for example the Space Wolves 13th Company

Hesitant Commie
09-01-2014, 16:18
This thread conjures up all sorts of cool ideas for thematic short stories or novels. I'm picturing an 'Event Horizon' type deal about a reclaimed space ship that has not been cleansed all the way. The astropath could slowly degenerate and start acting as a conduit for warp gribblies while the captain and crew desperately try to get off the increasingly corrupted vessel. Fun stuff.

Sternguard777
09-01-2014, 22:22
I recall someone on one of the forums describing a story from RT days where there was a writing desk in use by the Imperium that was possessed by Chaos. IIRC it managed to corrupt an Inquisitor, untold administrative staff and most of a Space Marine chapter.

Ink For The Ink God! Paperwork for the Paper Throne!

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
10-01-2014, 20:37
When i read consumables i instantly thought of the cheese of nurgle (primula) yeuck!!

Or maybe the chocolate of khorne, the toblerone!!

A Slanessh version of Willy Wonka. A Snozberry that gives you a real orgasm when you eat it.

Griefbringer
12-01-2014, 19:44
We know that some weapons can be reconsecrated and reused, but it seems that often it is not worth the effort- barring complex or relic wargear, is is easier to just build a new leman russ than try to purify a corrupted one. Something like a Titan on the other hand will be salvaged if possible and restored to loyalist service.

That is quite a pragmatic approach to the subject. However, it is worth remembering that the Imperial citizens are not always driven by purely pragmatic goals, but also by more mystical norms. A couple of aspects worth keeping in mind:

1.) Honour the wargear of the dead: for the warrior cultures of the Imperium, reobtaining lost equipment bears not only practical but also symbolic value.

2.) Machine spirits: members of mechanicus may have a spiritual interest in the well-being of a mechanical object.

3.) Corruption can spread: for those aware about the subtle influence of chaos (ie. Inquisition), leaving corrupted objects around is not a bright idea. Either they need to be locked up somewhere beyond the reach of those with weakness of will, ritually purified to remove the taint, or destroyed for good (not necessarily very easy in all cases).

So even if cleansing that corrupted Leman Russ might be quite resource consuming, just leaving it lying on the battlefield pretty shot up is not ideal solution either.

jakejackjake
06-02-2014, 15:44
Actually an interesting question. Unfortunately I think the only right answer is "it depends" which is much less interesting. I think you there are so many factors a chaos sorcerer would definitely be more likely to leave something tainted enough to have an impact than a newly rebelled guardsmen or cultist.