PDA

View Full Version : First army ever - Chaos Mortals 2k Dragon list

Shinguuji
09-06-2006, 04:36
First up, the list:

Characters
Lord of chaos, Berserker Sword, Armour of damnation, gaze of the gods, shield, dragon - 673 points

Sorcerer, level 1, lore of death, dispell scroll, dispell scroll - 135 points

Total Character Choices - 808 points

Mortal Units

6 Knights of chaos, chosen, standard, musician - 300 points
6 warhounds - 36 points

6 knights of chaos, full command, warbanner - 273 points
6 warhounds - 36 points

6 Marauder Horsemen, musician, flails - 96 points
6 warhounds - 36 points

6 warhounds - 36 points

Total Mortal Choices - 909 points

Demonic Units

5 screamers - 165 points

7 furies - 105 points

Total Demonic Choices - 270 points

GRAND TOTAL - 1987 POINTS

3 PD
3 DD
2 Dispel Scrolls

62 models

Well, I do like the dragon a lot, in fact, I have already painted it, so the dragon must stay, the lord's items are chosen such that he can kill as many as possible(berzerker sword), and does not get killed by a fluke cannon shot(gaze), and can go toe to toe with anything at all and win(gaze and armour), I think that the dragon and the lord has so much melee power that they can destroya unit per turn...well, it's expensive though....
sorc. is a scroll caddy.
knights are the main and hard hitters, warhounds is the screen for them, marauder horsemen are more like flankers and for mopping up/support, they come with a warhound screen too....
furies and screamers are warmachine hunters.

I guess that I should watch out for warmachines and probably bret. calvary, My dragon will fly up the flanks and ravage the main units, knights will run up straight with a warhound screen infront of them, marauders act as multi-purpose, flanking and supporting, whichever is more urgent, and the furies and screamers are the warmachine killers

Any comments on this list? Will it work?(I'm most concerned about this actually, because i ever created a dud list on 40k, therefore i'm quite worried) any strategies that I should use or things to look out for? C&C appreciated. Thanks!

Neknoh
09-06-2006, 05:47
Interesting list, however, if you're worried about magic that much, take the Book of Seecrets on your Lord and take another Sorceror, make both Sorcerors level 2 so that you have some bite in the magic phase as well.

This list does look very similar to a Dragon list I once used to great effect.

Lords:

Lord Lakhalon Pleasurebringer, Dragonborne of Slaanesh: Lord of Chaos, Mark of Slaanesh, Scrolls of the pleasurable temple (Book of Secrets), Eye of the dragonlord (Gaze of the gods), Sacred armour of the Dragonborne (Armour of damnation), Greatweapon...695 pts

Heroes:

Raguln, summoner of pleasure: Sorceror of Chaos, Mark of Slaanesh, lvl 2, Steed of Chaos, Loh'kryn the amuser (Power familliar)...206 pts

Hakhran the blind, warden of the harem of the Dragonborne: Sorceror of Chaos, Mark of Slaanesh, lvl 2, Steed of Chaos, Power stone, Sceptre of Domination...206 pts

Core:

Dragonkin of Gulgh Rackahr: 6 Knights of Slaanesh, champion, standard bearer, warbanner...283 pts

Heartbreakers of Gulgh Rackahr: 6 Knights of Slaanesh, champion, standard bearer, musician...268 pts

Silver hooves of the snow: 5 Marauder Horsemen, flails, musician... 80 pts

The chillbreeze: 5 Marauder Horsemen, flails, musician... 80 pts

Special:

The purple fires of passion: 6 Mounted Daemonettes...180 pts

Total points: 1998

Casting pool: 8 + powerstone
Dispell pool: 6

It was one of my first lists that got to see action and it did fairly well, however, I shyed away from all mounted list forthe challenge of fielding foot lists instead, although, the Dragon does sometimes get used.

Shazarn
09-06-2006, 09:43
Shinguuji, i like ur list, the screen thing is a great idea and the dragon would own alot of guys.
I'm just concerned that if the warhounds are acting as a screen, would they interfere with the charge of the knights??
Im a daemon person my self and know nothing about mortals LOL

Neknoh, I like ur list 2, sweet names for ur guys
I like the combo of pendent of slanesh and the sword that gets wounds back, can't remember name atm LOL

neway, great lists guys

Neknoh
09-06-2006, 09:49
Pendant of Slaanesh and Blade of Blood, yes, however, what must be remembered is that when using Dragon riders, ALL cannons and multi wound missiles will be targeted at it, and then, you need either Regeneration or a Wardsave to live through it.

I could have gone for the combo and a Gaze of the Gods on him, however, in doing so, I would have 1 less dispell dice, which would basically force me to take Dispell Scrolls, items that I detest.

Punk_in_Drublic
09-06-2006, 10:17
Neknoh, your list is now copyed and pasted :) I'm keeping it unitl the rumored plastic dragon set comes out, then I'm going to take that list for a spin. ;)

Later,

-Punk

Neknoh
09-06-2006, 15:53
Feel free to do so, it was inspired by a list I found on the UK webforum, however, I do not remember who it was who fielded the list which inspired mine.

Shinguuji
10-06-2006, 11:36
Hmmm, I'm just interested to know how you protected your dragon from shooting, I refuse to go the way of the eye(of tzenetch), hence I'm taking the other way...

Any other ways to improve magic defence? or should I just suck it up and fight on? the book is kinda expensive, so if I take it, I cannot get the other niffy items, plus, no dispell scrolls....

Any other ways to improve this list? If i remove the hounds from the marauders, what else should I get?

Neknoh
10-06-2006, 11:43
Well, basically, it should really only be in the first turn you have to worry about shooting, after that, your opponent will be hard pressed to catch the dragon outside of close combat.

Also, flyers to take out warmachines and you shouldn't really have to protect the dragon any more than that.

Also, never rely on Dispell Scrolls to save you, they'll block one or two spells, sure, but after that, you have minimal ammounts of Dispell Dice and that often means the enemy can go and carry out his magic unhindered.

Shinguuji
10-06-2006, 15:38
hmmm...is this list better?

Characters
Lord of chaos, Armour of damnation, gaze of the gods, book of secrets(death lore), greatweapon, dragon - 676 points

Sorcerer, level 2, lore of fire, power familair, barded steed - 186 points

Total Character Choices - 862 points

Mortal Units

6 Knights of chaos, chosen, standard, musician - 300 points
6 warhounds - 36 points

6 knights of chaos, full command, warbanner - 273 points
6 warhounds - 36 points

5 warhounds - 30 points

Total Mortal Choices - 909 points

Demonic Units

5 screamers - 165 points

7 furies - 105 points

Total Demonic Choices - 270 points

GRAND TOTAL - 1999 POINTS

6 PD
5 DD

55 models

I gave the sorcerer some magic power to boost the whole army's magic power, along with giving the lord a book of secrets, hopefully, he can fling some spells at warmachines or whatever...he also has a shiny new greatweapon, which I hope he can use to break everything in the first round....hounds are there as i did not know how to spend 51pts.

so which list do you guys prefer? or even better, improve either of them?

Neknoh
10-06-2006, 16:00
I like that one quite a lot, although, my Lore of Choice for the Lord would be Fire, just for that 1 in 6 chance of rolling Flaming Sword of Rhuin, otherwise, he'll do fine throwing Fireballs arround.
The Lore of Fire is also a lot more suiting from a fluff point of view if he's a dragon rider.

Although... the Lore of Death has a high coolness factor and it gives some VERY cool spellcasting opportunities.

Another idea for the lord is if you drop the Gaze and the Armour when not fighting any army with cannons or Bolt Throwers (although, the Gaze is almost mandatory in tourneys) and give him the Berserker Sword, just for added mayhem in friendly games.