PDA

View Full Version : Fluff examples of infantry attacks on titans

Rufiodies
25-12-2013, 04:45
Does anybody know of any notable fluff examples of infantry raids on titans?
The only one I can really think of is the word bearers novel where their terminator elites jump an imperial titan in a valley and disable it from the inside
Does anyone have any other examples? Failures or successes, even vs other super heavies, leviathans, baneblades, etc.
I also remember chaos marines attempting to take out some admec superheavy weapon carriage.

LexxBomb
25-12-2013, 05:23
Vindicare assassin taking out a Gargant.

WLBjork
25-12-2013, 05:47
Blood Quest, the team climbs up one leg of a Chaos Titan, ride it across part of a battlefield then blow the knee with a mix of bombs and grenades.

The bearded one
25-12-2013, 05:52
In Betrayer a group of warhound titans holds an emperor class titan pinned with super harpoon cables, while word bearers and world eaters then assault its legs and get inside.

Born Again
25-12-2013, 06:31
In the old Space Marine novel (I think?), didn't the scouts gain access to a titan, kill the crew and eat their brains to learn how to pilot it themselves?

m1acca1551
25-12-2013, 06:43
The first of the NL books by ADB has Talos and his squad assaulting a war hound class Titan with the help of a land raider.

Rufiodies
25-12-2013, 07:59
He's the marine from the inquisition war trilogy, imperial fist Lexandro D'Arguebus. The scout that is.
Its totally non-canon for the scouts to have done that, without the MIU, there would be no way they could interface with the titan.
I was gonna say it would be impossible for them to do that just because of the MIU... lol but the eating brains to gain memories part seems totally feasible..

Retrospectus
25-12-2013, 14:20
In the Blood and Thunder comic a group of Armageddon guardsmen make a short lived assault on a disabled Stompa

koran
25-12-2013, 22:34
Not sure if it counts as "infantry" but didnt Leman Russ take out a titan from the top down (I think it was a chaos warlord) just by ripping it apart layer by layer. Not sure where that was from (2nd ed space wolf codex maybe) or how he got on top of the titan in the first place.

Fen
25-12-2013, 23:34
Helsreach has orks swarming inside an imperator class titan(after it got immobilized by an entire city block they crashed on top of it)

SpanielBear
26-12-2013, 00:26
A piece of Tyranid fluff once had an in-action recording from a Titan that attempted to take on a bio-Titan hand to hand (hand to claw? Hand to tentacle? Hand to pseudo-pod ? Anyway.), but ended up being immobilised by the hordes of hormagaunts that ended up climbing over the machine and getting jammed in the knee joints. The Titan ended up having to self destruct.

Formerly Wu
26-12-2013, 01:04
Titanicus by Dan Abnett has a swarm of Chaos cultists overpowering the crew of a damaged titan.

flota
26-12-2013, 04:13
Didn't an ork just smash his way into the cockpit by breaching the titan visor with his bike?

Sent from Holy Terra

Inquisitor Kallus
26-12-2013, 04:40
Didn't an ork just smash his way into the cockpit by breaching the titan visor with his bike?

Sent from Holy Terra

I believe that was the absolute nutter that is Wazdakka :D

Lord Damocles
26-12-2013, 11:00
Dark Apostle features one of the most absurd cases of an Imperator being taken out (by infantry).
And given that Emperor class titans suffer horribly from the Worf effect and rarely surfvive a book, that's saying something...

Harwammer
26-12-2013, 13:18
The BRB has some ultramarine devastators getting a confirmed 'titan kill'. I know it's fluff based on some kind of mega campaign but it is there.

Mattland
26-12-2013, 17:05
seem to remember a Black Templars story where a crusade attacked a Mega Gargant whilst a Warlord titan duelled with it on Armaggeddon

Born Again
27-12-2013, 04:03
He's the marine from the inquisition war trilogy, imperial fist Lexandro D'Arguebus. The scout that is.
Its totally non-canon for the scouts to have done that, without the MIU, there would be no way they could interface with the titan.
I was gonna say it would be impossible for them to do that just because of the MIU... lol but the eating brains to gain memories part seems totally feasible..

Well at that stage they had their omophagea ("learn by eating" organ) so learning how to pilot the titan is possible... as for the MIU, while more modern imagery tends to lean towards the more servitor-esque image of plugs in the head, there's no reason to assume that some systems are built with an external fitting cap lined with sensors and the like, bearing in mind this is an old novel that also involves the scouts having a chat with a Zoat.

MajorWesJanson
28-12-2013, 07:28
Dark Apostle features one of the most absurd cases of an Imperator being taken out (by infantry).
And given that Emperor class titans suffer horribly from the Worf effect and rarely surfvive a book, that's saying something...

Actually, the DArk Apostle example is pretty accurate. Chaos terminators manage to bypass most the ranged defenses by hiding powered down in a cave the Emperor is passing by. A few are killed when the Supporting troops flame the cave and collapse the entrance, but they break out when the Emperor is right next to them. They lose a few more breaking free from the cave and making a dahs for the leg to defensive fire, and board the foot, where timing lifts the leg and prevents Imperial troops from counterboarding. Again more losses to internal defenses and skitarii garrison, but Terminators are designed for the close internal fight like that. Then bomb the knee as it is taking a step and it collapses. A pretty realistic example of how it is done.

Still, I agree on the Imperator-effect: Emperor Titans do not survive the work in which it is named, bar one- Imperious Corporalis, which only exists as a name drop in the Sabbat Worlds crusade book.

Lord Damocles
28-12-2013, 11:33
What was more absurd was how the titan came to be in a position to be boarded in the first place ('Oops, we forgot we had this titan. Lets advance it into this narrow valley. Nothing could possibly go wrong there!')

You'd also think that having a direct internal route from the ground to the knee is a bad move design wise...

MajorWesJanson
28-12-2013, 11:39
You'd also think that having a direct internal route from the ground to the knee is a bad move design wise...

The Warhound has a small elevator to access it. Reaver has a small hatch in the rear that requires a ladder or special gantry to get into. Emperor has long had in fluff been large enough for people to get from the grould level via the legs all the way up to the cockpit area. It's a security problem, but a tradeoff for being to get into the main body area of the titan.

LexxBomb
28-12-2013, 13:54
so why the heck are Emperator Class Titans not just used as long range Artillary Barage platforms...Or is that the idea is that they are meant to be (just like the warlord) but with Reaver and Warhound as forward moving front line fighters.

MajorWesJanson
28-12-2013, 14:18
so why the heck are Emperator Class Titans not just used as long range Artillary Barage platforms...Or is that the idea is that they are meant to be (just like the warlord) but with Reaver and Warhound as forward moving front line fighters.

Warmongers are pure long range, Imperators are mid range. And many of these events take place where line of sight is limited, like Hive cities.

naked_surfer
28-12-2013, 21:01
Vindicare assassin taking out a Gargant.

Would you mind telling me where that's from? I'm obsessed with Imperial Assassins and that sounds like a good bit of fluff to read...

Harwammer
28-12-2013, 21:36
I think it may have been in the Codex: Assassins codex. Don't quote me on it though!

Lord Damocles
28-12-2013, 21:38
3rd edition Codex: Assassins.

If I remember correctly, the mission was deemed a failure because the Gargant wasn't completely destroyed (it wasn't fully constructed when the Vindicare was sent in).

agurus1
29-12-2013, 21:26
Titanicus by Dan Abnett has a swarm of Chaos cultists overpowering the crew of a damaged titan.

I don't remember that from the book, but I do remember Dark Mechanicus skitarri using grappling hooks from roof tops to get onto a Titan as it was attempting to fall back, and then swarming inside killing the crew.

Shibboleth
30-12-2013, 07:21
There was a comic where a DA Ravenwing bike squad take out a Gargant too.

naked_surfer
01-01-2014, 21:15
3rd edition Codex: Assassins.

If I remember correctly, the mission was deemed a failure because the Gargant wasn't completely destroyed (it wasn't fully constructed when the Vindicare was sent in).

Thanks to you and Harwammer for answering!

Bran Dawri
01-01-2014, 22:18
There was a comic where a DA Ravenwing bike squad take out a Gargant too.

I remember that one. They not only take out the Gargant, they defeat the whole Waaagh. Speed Kills or something, it was called.

lowkey
01-01-2014, 22:50
In "Storm of Iron" Forrix (an Iron Warriors Captain in Terminator Armor) climbed onto a Warhound Titans foot and tried to punch it with his powerfist

Rufiodies
02-01-2014, 04:19
In "Storm of Iron" Forrix (an Iron Warriors Captain in Terminator Armor) climbed onto a Warhound Titans foot and tried to punch it with his powerfist

That ended badly if I remember correctly, which was sad cause Forrix just got his groove back!

Formerly Wu
02-01-2014, 06:12
I don't remember that from the book, but I do remember Dark Mechanicus skitarri using grappling hooks from roof tops to get onto a Titan as it was attempting to fall back, and then swarming inside killing the crew.
That could be what I was remembering; I don't have the book on hand.

MajorWesJanson
02-01-2014, 06:15
That ended badly if I remember correctly, which was sad cause Forrix just got his groove back!

He took out the one on his second try, but Warhounds tend to work in pairs.

lowkey
02-01-2014, 13:34
well, it was a very questionable plan anyway. and one of the passages of Storm of Iron which I found too over the top and rather ridiculous. but nonetheless awesome book

unwanted
02-01-2014, 20:28
Not sure if it counts as "infantry" but didnt Leman Russ take out a titan from the top down (I think it was a chaos warlord) just by ripping it apart layer by layer. Not sure where that was from (2nd ed space wolf codex maybe) or how he got on top of the titan in the first place.

I believe he jumped onto its shoulder from a tower-block it was passing, and then battered his way inside from there...

Novafix
03-01-2014, 07:51
The Ad-Mech should just make the corridors in the larger Titan legs too small for anyone in Power Armour. That should stop Marines boarding them if they actually can't fit inside.