PDA

View Full Version : killing blow, monster rider

Korpacz
26-12-2013, 06:42
Does killing blow work on the rider of a monster? Say for example grave guard against an elf lord on a dragon, if all the attacks go against the rider who is infantry, does killing blow still work, or is it negated by the fact that he is riding a monster?

I know that it doesn't work against infantry models on monsterous mounts such as skullcrushers because it is one model that is being attacked, but if you can specifically select the infantry character to be attacked, does it still work?

Dirty Mac
26-12-2013, 08:19
Yes, "Ridden Monsters" is different, You could kill the lord right off the the Dragons back, or You could even kill the Dragon with Heroic Killing Blow, and leave the Lord alive to fight on foot.

Tae
26-12-2013, 08:34
Check the FAQ:

Q: Is a character on a monster, chariot or monstrous beast susceptible to the Killing Blow special rule? (p72)
A: No, as the character’s troop type as changes to ‘monster’, ‘chariot’ or ‘monstrous cavalry’ respectively, thereby rendering Killing Blow ineffective. Only Heroic Killing Blow will work against these targets.

Dirty Mac
26-12-2013, 12:35
Well then, There you go.

forseer of fates
26-12-2013, 12:49
Well that faq doesn't make sense, you cant be affected by killing blow, but can be picked out by magic, hit by cannonballs and everything else shooting and magic missile wise randomises...

theunwantedbeing
26-12-2013, 13:18
Well that faq doesn't make sense, you cant be affected by killing blow, but can be picked out by magic, hit by cannonballs and everything else shooting and magic missile wise randomises...

Killing blow doesn't work on monsters.
Riding a monster changes your unit type to monster.

Obviously it's not difficult to count the two as separate entities but the rules don't bother to do that.
Rules are rules afterall.

It does mean that a cannonball can be stopped by a character on a monster though.
Although sadly it doesn't also seem to mean that the character gets every benefit of being a monster (ie. thunderstomp).

You can always house rule differently.

Necromancy Black
26-12-2013, 14:41
Well that faq doesn't make sense

Actually it makes perfect sense, it's that people often don't realise there is a rule in the BRB that clearly states mounts change the unit type of the character.

Blkc57
26-12-2013, 18:59

Trust me when I say that things made far less sense when you could killing blow characters off their monsterous mounts before the change. For the sake of everyone's sanity I'm glad they changed that FAQ.

godswearhats
26-12-2013, 22:58
The Ridden Monster rules are definitely a weak point in the rules, imho.

Mr_Rose
26-12-2013, 23:24
Yeah, really ought to make them work more like the other sorts of cavalry really. Maybe merge the wound pools instead of just using the highest though?

theunwantedbeing
27-12-2013, 00:00
The Ridden Monster rules are definitely a weak point in the rules, imho.

There are a few outside factors that make them less than desirable.
Cannons being templates
Daft challenge rules
MC now being the best bits of both cavalry and monsters
Shooting randomisation not really being random enough for the riders

Making the rider immune to killing blow is no less silly than MC being immune.

godswearhats
27-12-2013, 00:05
If Ridden Monster worked like Monster and Handlers it would be better: shooting on a 5-6 you hit the rider, otherwise monster. And in close combat, you have to attack the monster.

To give an example, I was fighting a Hellcannon with a Wood Elf Lord mounted on a Forest Dragon. All their attacks were directed at my T3 Lord until he was dead, but I could only fight the T6 Monster. Also, if I shoot the Hellcannon with a cannon, on a 5-6 it's a Handler that dies.

Ho hum :-)