PDA

View Full Version : Eldar During the Heresy

Coldhatred
29-12-2013, 17:54
Yes, I know the Horus Heresy is, well, about the Heresy, but I'd dearly love to read a story about what the Eldar are up to during this galaxy shaking event. It would seem like a good opportunity for the Eldar to take some Maiden Worlds or follow some other more mysterious agenda.

Lord Damocles
29-12-2013, 21:06
It's only been 200 years since their entire civilisation was brought to it's knees by the birth of a Chaos god.

They're still tidying up.

Poseidal
30-12-2013, 00:37
It's only been 200 years since their entire civilisation was brought to it's knees by the birth of a Chaos god.

I wish they were presented this way, rather than being 100% identical to current modern 40k Eldar, to the point of including things that would only properly exist more recently.

Because it would be far more interesting at the time to see that the Path system was not as developed as it was today; Aspect Warriors not as widespread (or maybe not even around at this time, as they had not left or had barely left the planet of Asur to spread it among the Craftworlds).

Tymell
30-12-2013, 00:47
Aye, they've made the odd appearance here and there (Fulgrim, Vulkan Lives, Feat of Iron, Angel Exterminatus), but one of the things I'd still like to see in the series is a full entry (ideally a full novel) focused on their perspective.

malika
30-12-2013, 07:56
Well, so far the role of the Eldar in these novels is to provide Avatars who function as punching bags for whichever character needs to look kick ass!

Dean5150
30-12-2013, 12:55
Are they not part of the Cabal?

Tymell
30-12-2013, 13:06

Some are, but we haven't had anything indicating they represent the Eldar race and their interests as a whole.

Hengist
31-12-2013, 16:31
Yes, I know the Horus Heresy is, well, about the Heresy, but I'd dearly love to read a story about what the Eldar are up to during this galaxy shaking event. It would seem like a good opportunity for the Eldar to take some Maiden Worlds or follow some other more mysterious agenda.

Whilst I agree that seeing the differences between 30k's Eldar and 40k's through the events of the stories might be interesting, the Horus Heresy is very much a story about the primarchs and their gene-sons; it's not about building a complete 'Warhammer 30k' setting. What might work nicely would be something like an Eldrad (or whoever) series (maybe a series of shorts?) set over the 10,000 years between the crusade and the end times.

Horus38
03-01-2014, 16:17

In addition to what Tymell said, there is evidence that some Eldar are actively working against the Cabals agenda, or pursuing a different one which they know is in conflict with the Cabals goals.

@Hengist: that would be ****** awesome!

Hengist
03-01-2014, 23:14

I wish they were presented this way, rather than being 100% identical to current modern 40k Eldar, to the point of including things that would only properly exist more recently.

Slaanesh's 'birth' seems to have taken a few thousand years, beginning with the warpstorms that began the Age of Strife (or Third Age of Strife...) cM25, and ending cM29. For the sake of the Eldar's presentation (Farseers, Autarchs, Aspects, etc.) in the Horus Heresy novels making sense, I think we just have to assume that the Craftworld Eldar (or at least the ones who actually escaped) departed at the earlier end of that timeframe, and have thus had a few millennia to reach a form more-or-less like the one we know. As for the Dark Eldar, we have a confirmed date of M18 for the creation of Cormorragh, so it's far from unreasonable that, aside from the guys in charge being called Dukes and Barons rather than Archons, and Vect still being a corporal in space-Sicily, their civilisation could be much the same in M31 as M41.

Because it would be far more interesting at the time to see that the Path system was not as developed as it was today; Aspect Warriors not as widespread (or maybe not even around at this time, as they had not left or had barely left the planet of Asur to spread it among the Craftworlds).

Interesting of itself maybe, but it's not what the Heresy narrative is about. That's not to say I wouldn't be pleased were Forge World to throw a bone to non-Marine players by inventing in a few characterful Crusade-era xenos units and personalities, but I can see why they haven't done so yet. Black Library have mumbled about how the ebil aliens will all be back for vengeance once the scouring is done, however, so you might yet be in luck and get a "Warhammer 32,000: All the Space Marines are dead, bend over humans" sourcebook.

@Hengist: that would be ****** awesome!

I'm glad you like the idea!

thor2006
08-01-2014, 16:59
Why Third Age of Strife and not the Age of Strife? What were the previous 2?

Hengist
08-01-2014, 22:10
I forget the source, but somewhere (in a timeline?) there were said to have been three distinct ones, separated by millennia, with the warp storms bringing about the final "Old Night" one. As I recall, one of the other two was attributed to the robot uprising that led to the Imperium's prohibition of thinking machines (and which was obviously borrowed from Dune's Butlerian Jihad). What the other one was about, I forget.

Fizzy
09-01-2014, 00:55
A small spoiler from "Butchers Nails"

They try to take out Angron when he charges ahead with his ship. They fail but they tried.

just_jay
11-01-2014, 22:35
Well, so far the role of the Eldar in these novels is to provide Avatars who function as punching bags for whichever character needs to look kick ass!

Nailed it. To the point where it's no longer impressive to beat up Khaine anymore, if pre-heresy Lorgar can do it. I'm just waiting for the over the top cheese where Dorn fights two and uses one Khaine to pummel the hell out of another.

Tymell
11-01-2014, 22:52
Nailed it. To the point where it's no longer impressive to beat up Khaine anymore, if pre-heresy Lorgar can do it. I'm just waiting for the over the top cheese where Dorn fights two and uses one Khaine to pummel the hell out of another.

For one thing, Lorgar is a primarch. He might be outclassed by most of his brothers, but he's still a super-human demi-god.

For another, the avatar he took down was almost dead already. He didn't even fight it so much as put it out of it's misery like an animal hit by a car.

"It couldn’t stand. In its struggles to rise, the creature crawled closer, hands digging into the earth to find loose purchase. But it couldn’t seem to stand...It crawled closer. Two of its fingers broke against the ground...The Avatar’s cracking hand gripped his armour greave. Another of its fingers broke off."

You're really complaining that this is there to make Lorgar look like a badass?