PDA

View Full Version : Practice Skaven Army

SSquirrel
01-01-2014, 18:43
So I'm new to Warhammer and I'm currently gathering models toward a 2000 point Pestilens army I have planned. So since I'm still new to the game I wanted to put together a practice army w/a few less points to learn the rules better. Can't really fit the Plague Furnace and Monks in well at 1k so I decided to build a 1500 pointarmy and get some critiques here. Thoughts? The Clanrats are a BSB bunker

Lords

Warlord
Warpstone Armor, Litter, Ogre Blade, Talisman of Endurance

Heroes
Plague Priest
Furnace, Censer

Chieftain [BSB]
Talisman of Protection, Shield

Core
50 Slaves
Musician

50 Slaves
Musician

20 Clanrats
Shields, Musician, Warpfire Thrower

Rat Dart

Rat Dart

Specials
35 Plague Monks
Full Command, Plague Banner

Rare
WLC

Doomwheel

Total

Praznagar
01-01-2014, 19:14
Overall not bad at all - very reliant on the furnace unit but hey that's what Pestilens does!

You have a lot of points invested in a warlord who you don't really want in combat.
A Grey Seer would be a stronger coice - and help you learn the magic rules.

I'd try and get a ward save on the priest - and drop the censer unless you want to kill a lot of your own monks!

If you could squeeze in some censer bearers that would be cool - they're not the greatest but can hit flanks hard and clear buildings pretty well (pretty well for rats anyway).

Consider dropping the doomwheel for a more fluffy plagueclaw catapult. Doomwheel is solid but has a butt load of special rules, not great for when you're learning the game. Focus on the furnace's butt load of special rules first...

SSquirrel
01-01-2014, 19:59
Overall not bad at all - very reliant on the furnace unit but hey that's what Pestilens does!

You have a lot of points invested in a warlord who you don't really want in combat.
A Grey Seer would be a stronger coice - and help you learn the magic rules.

My thinking with the Warlord was that he would be back w/the bunker unit and if things got back there he would help defend the unit as well. Plus the Litter provides a Look Out Sir, so I thought that would be some extra protection. Plus he is in the back and well protected, so more points denial too.

I'd try and get a ward save on the priest - and drop the censer unless you want to kill a lot of your own monks!

If you could squeeze in some censer bearers that would be cool - they're not the greatest but can hit flanks hard and clear buildings pretty well (pretty well for rats anyway).

The Furnace will already cause toughness checks for the unit as it is, so the Censer just adds some possible toughness checks in the non-combat rounds. If it adds nothing and is only useful on a Priest who is w/o a Furnace, that's a different story I suppose. My understanding of PCBs was that they hit pretty hard that first round and then just kind of evaporate in combat.

Consider dropping the doomwheel for a more fluffy plagueclaw catapult. Doomwheel is solid but has a butt load of special rules, not great for when you're learning the game. Focus on the furnace's butt load of special rules first...

I actually plan on 2 Plagueclaws and 1 Doomwheel in my eventual 2k army, I need to learn the Doomwheel sometime, may as well be now :) If I drop the Censer off the Priest, I'd be more likely to swap in a PCC over the WLC and keep the Doomwheel in. Need something else big to draw fire off of the Furnace. Maybe shift that Talisman from the BSB over to the Priest? Find another point for the Iron Curse Icon as well?

SSquirrel
02-01-2014, 02:11
Lords

Grey Seer
Foul Pendant

Heroes
Plague Priest
Furnace, Flail, Ironcurse Icon, Talisman of Endurance

Chieftain [BSB]
Talisman of Protection, Shield

Core
50 Slaves