PDA

View Full Version : What is the Noosphere?

Poncho160
02-01-2014, 12:19
I am seeing the Noosphere referred a lot lately in any book featuring the Mechanicus.

I think it was first mentioned in the HH book Mechanicum and was one of the reasons Magma City survived the initial traitor attack. It has since been referred to in quite a few books, books mainly by Graham McNeill I think.

Its most recent use is in the Priest/Lords/Gods of Mars series, I think.

Was the Noosphere a McNeil invention or has it been referred to before?

The Mechanicus Priests that use it, seem to be able to access large amounts of information, tell at a glance how a machine is running and even read other priests emotions / state of mind.

Also what exactly is it and how do we think it works? I think it is one of the more interesting things to come out of the HH series.

MajorWesJanson
02-01-2014, 12:30
Short answer, it's a Mechanicum only internet with wifi. Except the wifi connection is directly into your brain, so looking at the world is like a much more advanced version of google glass.

gitburna
02-01-2014, 14:52
Yeah, may as well lock this thread right now as Major Wes has answered it more concisely in two sentences than any other amount of answers will do.

quantumcollider
02-01-2014, 15:01
I am seeing the Noosphere referred a lot lately in any book featuring the Mechanicus.

I think it was first mentioned in the HH book Mechanicum and was one of the reasons Magma City survived the initial traitor attack. It has since been referred to in quite a few books, books mainly by Graham McNeill I think.

Its most recent use is in the Priest/Lords/Gods of Mars series, I think.

Was the Noosphere a McNeil invention or has it been referred to before?

The Mechanicus Priests that use it, seem to be able to access large amounts of information, tell at a glance how a machine is running and even read other priests emotions / state of mind.

Also what exactly is it and how do we think it works? I think it is one of the more interesting things to come out of the HH series.

First time I read about it, was in Dan Abnett's Titanicus. Both this book and Mechanicum are from 2008, so it could very well be that Dan Abnett came up with the idea.

The book also gives a very vivid description of the noosphere. Adepts logged into it can see all kinds of data projected around other people logged into it, as well as the stores and flow of data as streams of light. So like MajorWesJason said, you can regard it as a combination of internet, wifi, WhatsApp and google-glass (in your brain ;)).

I do have the impression that the noospere is something that needs to be installed into the world's infrastructure itself (or perhaps a ship), because outside these locations Tech-Priest tend to communicate in regular binaric. So it appears a single tech priest does not 'carry it around' for others to log into. So it obviously lacks BlueTooth. :p

Hengist
02-01-2014, 16:14
It's worth pointing out that the word itself isn't of Abnett's coinage; it's a (largely defunct) term of early evolutionary psychology vaguely meaning what we'd now call "the knowledge ecosystem". I strongly suspect however that Abnett borrowed the term in this context from Brian Stableford's (incidentally long ago the author of some Warhammer novels) short story "Mortimer Gray".

Idaan
02-01-2014, 18:59
It's worth pointing out that the word itself isn't of Abnett's coinage; it's a (largely defunct) term of early evolutionary psychology vaguely meaning what we'd now call "the knowledge ecosystem". I strongly suspect however that Abnett borrowed the term in this context from Brian Stableford's (incidentally long ago the author of some Warhammer novels) short story "Mortimer Gray".

What's interesting is that it's a stage on the road towards the "Omega Point" in Pierre Teilhard de Chardin's book of the same title. De Chardin was a Jesuit paleontologist and geologist who came up with a theory that posited that God is the end point of the universe - the Omega Point, rather than its first cause or prime mover. This theory was introduced into the world of sci-fi in Dan Simmons' "Hyperion Cantos". Not to spoil anything, but one might notice some parallels with the Machine God of the Mechanicus.

Do we have any information about where the Machine God came from?

Poncho160
02-01-2014, 19:25
Do we know if the Noosephere is hardwired into a ship or building or is it something generated by the priest?

Lord Squidar
02-01-2014, 20:27
Important question! Can a noosphere user clear their search history so that other tech priests can't rifle through their 01110000011011110111001001101110?

Harwammer
02-01-2014, 22:54
How do people pronounce this?

I imagine it being 'news sphere' in the stereotype New York accent/

sweave
02-01-2014, 23:02
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noosphere

pronounced somewhat like = no-ah-sphere

El_Machinae
03-01-2014, 19:18
Do we know if the Noosephere is hardwired into a ship or building or is it something generated by the priest?

I get the impression that devices project access as a type of wifi, so you can look at a device, and decide to either 'pick up' or 'interface' with its broadcasts.

Danny76
04-01-2014, 04:31
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noosphere

pronounced somewhat like = no-ah-sphere

It'd be more of an Uh than Ah.
But yes indeed it's this as opposed to News-sphere

MajorWesJanson
04-01-2014, 05:01

It seems like both. Individual priests seem to have transmitters/recievers that give off their individual data and read each others, but while on ships and facilities, they can link into a bigger network that has access to the data within that network.

Then you have the Manifold on Titans, which seems to be a hardened network within and between titans, separate from the Noosphere

quantumcollider
05-01-2014, 11:56

To quote myself:

I do have the impression that the noospere is something that needs to be installed into the world's infrastructure itself (or perhaps a ship), because outside these locations Tech-Priest tend to communicate in regular binaric. So it appears a single tech priest does not 'carry it around' for others to log into. So it obviously lacks BlueTooth.