PDA

View Full Version : Why does it take so long for GW to come out with FAQ's?

datalink7
02-01-2014, 21:03
It seems like an FAQ should be out within a month of the book coming out. And really, the only reason to wait that long is just to collect all the questions. It could really be updated in the first week.

An FAQ is just asking clarifying questions. GW should know what they intended when they wrote the book, so doing an FAQ should take a total of 30 minutes, all of it being the writing portion. There should be no deliberation or question on their end on how they are going to answer. They should already know.

Now, errata I understand taking a bit longer. They might decide that something needs tweaking due to some unexpected consequence, and this requires further testing. But FAQ? Should be able to be answered immediately as the question is asked. And yet, we're still waiting on High Elves to get one, let alone Lizards or Dark Elves.

SteveW
02-01-2014, 21:33
Was there a particular question you had? You can ask it here or call the GW support line, they handle rules inquiries there.

datalink7
02-01-2014, 21:51
Was there a particular question you had? You can ask it here or call the GW support line, they handle rules inquiries there.

Nothing specific. I mean, I'd like answers on certain things (did they intend Predatory Fighter to work with supporting attacks for instance), but that wasn't the point of the thread. I am simply wondering why FAQ's take so long to come out when they should already know the answer since, having written the material, they should know what they intended.

And the support line isn't very helpful. My local gaming store actually tested it with Predatory Fighter and got two contradictory answers (one, PF works with supporting attacks because Army Book overrules BRB, the other is that PF doesn't work because supporting attacks specifically limit to one attack (or 3 if MI)). It depends on who answers. So we don't take anything from the GW support line to be official.

SteveW
02-01-2014, 21:59
For predatory fighter, the rule is pretty cut and dry if you read p49 of the rule book. The 'army book > BRB' does not come into play because the army book does not contradict the rulebook here.

datalink7
02-01-2014, 22:10
For predatory fighter, the rule is pretty cut and dry if you read p49 of the rule book. The 'army book > BRB' does not come into play because the army book does not contradict the rulebook here.

Which was contradicted at least once by GW support line (though we've ruled the same as you sated in my FLGS).

Though again, that wasn't the thrust of this thread. I'm not looking for any answers to any questions other than "why does it take GW so long to come out with updates to their FAQs?". I only brought up the predatory fighter one as it popped into my mind when you asked, not because I was thinking of it when I made the thread.

SteveW
02-01-2014, 22:14
Well, you're making a huge assumption thinking that any of your questions falls into the realm of frequently asked to them. They could easily have a half second response time to questions that reach a frequency of being asked to warrant a response.

3eland
02-01-2014, 22:17
Why does it take so long for GW to come out with FAQ's? No one but GW can answer this and nothing anyone says here is anything but an opinion. You could always call them up and ask them why yourself, because I don't think the community (unless someone actually has worked for GW and knows the system for FAQ's) will have any good answers.

One could say that they get thousands of questions a day and so must filter through each and every one of them. Categorize Fantasy from 40k and LotR, then each is further categorized to different sections like "game breaking", "rewrite", "need clarification", etc etc etc and finally each question is answered. I can only imagine that the amount of books they have (Fantasy, 40K and LotR) and all their supplements and expansions they must receive thousands of questions. No single person could write up a FAQ in 30 minutes, especially if they have to translate it for each FAQ language. Each question in the FAQ would need to be addressed by the writer for clarification and most likely further by a chief editor before finally being uploaded onto their site.

I am not sure how many people work for GW in the FAQ department (most likely just a few who work with the writers and rules department) but I would believe that the amount of work going on behind the scenes to bring out a FAQ must be fairly large. I know how much it sucks waiting for a FAQ to update but there is nothing we can do about it.

Methios
02-01-2014, 22:57

I realise its a slight de-rail of the thread. But since its not heading anywhere anyways:
Your actualy worng....or i misunderstand you. (Which is probably the case, because your way better at whfb then i am) but as its written the PF rule does not give any models past the first rank extra attacks. Which, as a lizardmen player, is pretty annoying.

The problem is not that the army book doesnt directly contradict the BRB. PF gives the model the probability of more attacks. Just as say...frenzy. BUT the brb says models making supporting attacks can only ever make 1 attack. Just as a model with more then 1 attack on its profile, because he is making a "supporting attack" he is only allowed to make 1. Regardless of special rules and alike.

Edit: I re-read your post again and i think that is exactly what you ment.. /yay me

SteveW
02-01-2014, 23:01
Edit: I re-read your post again and i think that is exactly what you ment.. /yay me

Yep :)

The rulebook says no special rule can give you extra supporting attacks and predatory fighter is A) a special rule and B) does not directly say it gives extra supporting attacks and does not fall into the 'Army book > Rule book' rule.

As a lizardmen player myself I find it a little inconvenient to have to roll my front rank attacks separate from the rest but thems the rules.

datalink7
02-01-2014, 23:07
Why does it take so long for GW to come out with FAQ's? No one but GW can answer this and nothing anyone says here is anything but an opinion. You could always call them up and ask them why yourself, because I don't think the community (unless someone actually has worked for GW and knows the system for FAQ's) will have any good answers.

One could say that they get thousands of questions a day and so must filter through each and every one of them. Categorize Fantasy from 40k and LotR, then each is further categorized to different sections like "game breaking", "rewrite", "need clarification", etc etc etc and finally each question is answered. I can only imagine that the amount of books they have (Fantasy, 40K and LotR) and all their supplements and expansions they must receive thousands of questions. No single person could write up a FAQ in 30 minutes, especially if they have to translate it for each FAQ language. Each question in the FAQ would need to be addressed by the writer for clarification and most likely further by a chief editor before finally being uploaded onto their site.

I am not sure how many people work for GW in the FAQ department (most likely just a few who work with the writers and rules department) but I would believe that the amount of work going on behind the scenes to bring out a FAQ must be fairly large. I know how much it sucks waiting for a FAQ to update but there is nothing we can do about it.

Thanks for the response. I suppose I was inviting possible speculation as it is true, no one but GW themselves can truly answer the question.

It is also likely that the 30 minute timeframe I gave is someone of an exaggeration. Though I don't think the time commitment should be all that much. Every army website pretty much has a "FAQ questions" section in their rules sub-forum, so it is fairly easy to gather most of the questions the community might have. Additionally, I think GW has on staff, or at least retainer, translators considering all the translating that needs to be done for all their products. Translating a page or two of an FAQ shouldn't add too much to their workload.

Though you are right, I am not giving enough credit for the work involved. That being said, I think there has been more than enough time for High Elves certainly, and Lizards as well. And it befuddles me that one hasn't been released for either (particularly High Elves).

Well, you're making a huge assumption thinking that any of your questions falls into the realm of frequently asked to them. They could easily have a half second response time to questions that reach a frequency of being asked to warrant a response.

While we're on the topic of assumptions, can we stop assuming that this thread has ANYTHING to do with questions that I want answered? Because, as I've stated multiple times, it has nothing to do with that. Thank you.

SteveW
02-01-2014, 23:11
While we're on the topic of assumptions, can we stop assuming that this thread has ANYTHING to do with questions that I want answered? Because, as I've stated multiple times, it has nothing to do with that. Thank you.
Calm down, I used 'your' as a descriptive of anyone assuming such things. Not in an accusatory sense like you in particular thought your questions needed to be answered imediately.

Saldiven
02-01-2014, 23:40
And yet, we're still waiting on High Elves to get one, let alone Lizards or Dark Elves.

How 'bout Daemons of Chaos? They got an FAQ about a month or so after the book was released. It contains exactly 7 questions and answers. Of those, exactly two of them were "frequently asked" on forums, both here and otherwise.

Here's a list of 30 questions that had been brought up on March 1 on just one forum:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?showtopic=10246

forseer of fates
03-01-2014, 00:27
I think they just don't care anymore

Lord Solar Plexus
03-01-2014, 05:28
An FAQ is just asking clarifying questions. GW should know what they intended when they wrote the book, so doing an FAQ should take a total of 30 minutes, all of it being the writing portion. There should be no deliberation or question on their end on how they are going to answer. They should already know.

And I should be a millionaire...you're asking way too much.

Rake
03-01-2014, 14:06
They don't care. And they are arrogant #$%^&&% who truly believe that being the first means being the best. Just look at JJ original response to the absolutely overwhelming reaction gamers had to the Power Scroll. "Everything is fine. We know what we are doing. Play a few more games and you will see we were right..." Yeah right. Oh and lets not forget that models own unmodified leadership might (or might not) mean ANOTHER models MODIFIED leadership... YAY! Go, GW. Hiring a law school graduate or a paralegal to iron out the inconsistencies in the rulings and wording would cost like 1 cent per boxed game. Why can the idiots see that its worth it? I dont care that they envision this as a beer and pretzel/non competitive game its what we the costumers want. And a balanced game could be played equaly by the young and old, beer inclined and tourny inclined as well. As a result my gaming group has taken to editing their rules for the last few months and have never looked back. I might be posting our house rules on general forum soon.

Lord Solar Plexus
03-01-2014, 14:38
Well, hurry, the world's been waiting for that! ;)

Just kidding, no offense intended. It's true that someone who likes pretzels could conceivably also like a tight and clear ruleset. I also think they did pick up speed for a while in general.

Mithrilherz
04-01-2014, 00:10
But I think he is quite right. GW does not care.
We had so many new army books this years which opened many questions, but almost now FAQ for the whole year!
This is not my understanding at least of customer support.

ehlijen
04-01-2014, 02:20
GW does not have dedicated FAQ writers, as far as I know and their staff is busy working on products that they actually sell.

GW should have dedicated QA and FAQ people by now. They write enough rules that at least a small department tasked with upkeeping them is justified. But especially with the increased release schedule they have now, I don't think their book writers have enough free time for FAQ duties.

starlight
04-01-2014, 03:52
It seems like an FAQ should be out within a month of the book coming out. And really, the only reason to wait that long is just to collect all the questions. It could really be updated in the first week.

Now, errata I understand taking a bit longer. They might decide that something needs tweaking due to some unexpected consequence, and this requires further testing. But FAQ? Should be able to be answered immediately as the question is asked. And yet, we're still waiting on High Elves to get one, let alone Lizards or Dark Elves.

The answer is incredibly simple.

Because the timeframe of releasing FAQ/errata/etc has no noticeable impact on sales numbers of miniatures as measured by GW.

End of story. :(

GW only cares about things in their relationship to miniature sales. If it drives sales, it gets attention. If it doesn't, it gets ignored. If you want the FAQ, you've (very likely) already bought the books and some of the models, therefore Mission Accomplished.

Torga_DW
04-01-2014, 04:05
I'd have to agree with starlight on this one. If it won't induce a frenzy of new sales, its not worth their time. But this question has come up before (yay history repeating), and i've always liked samhain's explanation for it:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leman_Russ

How hard is it too add one line of text?

Ritual of the Boot:
30 hours of praying to the computer's machine spirit.
1 hour amd 30 minutes of blessing the computer with sacred oils.
(at this point you may strike the "on" button)
5 minutes of watching in awe as the computer displays its sacred story of the boot.
Time taken: 31 hours 35 minutes

Ritual of Editing:
2 hours praying to the computer's machine spirit.
1 hours of blessing the computer with sacred oils.
10 hours of the chant: "WTF did I save that file?!?"
2 minutes of editing.
Time taken: 13 hours and 2 minutes

Ritual of Exporting:
3 hours praying to the computer's machine spirit.
2 hours of blessing the computer with sacred oils.
10 hours of a chant sacred to the lesser machine god Adobe, that they might bless you with the sacred pdf format.
1 hour of horror staring at a Blue Screen of Death, as you realise that the chaos god of Windows has infiltrated your machine spirit.
Time taken: 16 hours

Ritual of the Boot (part2):
1 hour of the sacred chant "Die, you stinking machine of the warp!"
5 minutes of applying the sacred Boot of Steel Toecappedness to the computer.
Time taken: 1 hour 5 minutes

Ritual of Desperation:
3 hours of calling the local Computer Techpriest to beg him to do the updates on his computer.
5 hours of waiting for the Computer Techpriest to finish recompiling their computer's machine spirit (because I was like, bored, and my machine spirit is now a whole 0.0000001% more efficient now!)
2 minutes of waiting for the Computer Techpriest to do the update and export the pdf.
Time taken: 8 hours and 2 minutes

Total time taken: 69 hours 44 minutes

Hopefully, this should explain why GW's Administratum doesn't update FAQs quite as quickly as we'd like.

Rawdogg15
04-01-2014, 09:18
I submitted a question to GW support several months ago: what is Heinrich Kremmler's leadership, since it is listed as either 9 or 8 depending on which of four different places you can find it. The person I spoke to did not have a definitive answer and said they would forward it to "the FAQ team" (who don't exist according to this thread). I reckon it must be at least five months since I did that and I still don't think it has been FAQd, although I haven't checked recently.

I definitely agree with the OP on this one, although 30 minutes is asking a lot, I do think that there should probably be a consistent release schedule for the next batch of FAQ/errata, maybe monthly. In my mind it could be the job of white dwarf to publish this but I realise that there are lots if reasons why GW wouldn't/ won't do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Melkanador
04-01-2014, 11:59
The answer is simple: GW doesn´t give a FAQ about FAQs.

Dr. Who
05-01-2014, 23:54
In an interview with John Blanche in LeftLion Magazine #55 (Linky) (http://www.leftlion.co.uk/articles.cfm/title/leftlion-magazine--55/id/6192), he mentions that the rules development part of GW has been amalgamated into The Black Library part of GW.

Maybe the restructuring is the reason we have not seen any FAQ updates for a long while.

- Dr.

starlight
06-01-2014, 00:21
Erm, no...but in other news, that's terrible news for gamers.

Trasvi
14-01-2014, 03:33
In my (anecdotal) experience, lack of clear rules is having an effect on sales. Every member of my club now playing WMH went to that game because of the clear rules and support for tournaments.

I really hoped that GW was on to a good thing with the release of 6E40k. The rulebook and first few Codices had prompt FAQ's. Then when my main army rolled around (Tau), we got a day-0 errata (rightfully nerfing missile drone spam) and then nothing. Unfortunately the only explanation is that they simply don't care or think it is worth their time.

Autumn Leaves
14-01-2014, 10:14
Staffing issues.
Short staffed design teams have deadlines that just keep coming.
Taking time out to go back and straighten out issues means that there is less time to meet the next impending deadline.
It's not personal its just a hectic work thing.
I have the best intentions to catch up on lost items at work but it doesn't often happen.