PDA

View Full Version : Best Model Range

Minigiant
03-01-2014, 15:09
So im curious what people think is the best aesthetically pleasing army available to all us WFB players including Warhammer forge

I only have 10 choices so come combinations have been made in choices; All Elves, Chaos and Undead

Wargaming93
03-01-2014, 15:13
That's such an open question...everyone's gonna be different in what they prefer..

But il add my two pence! I love the look of the bretonnians. For their medival kind of style. And obviously wood elves for me..they just look how elves should look in my opinion. I blame lord of the rings haha

Mercutius
03-01-2014, 15:20
Yes, in the end there might be equal quotes for all factions :). But perhaps that would mean that GW did a realy good job here, and I think that can not be, isn't it? :-)

For me it is a pity that the undead are mixed together, because of course the Tomb Kings are the best looking army with the best models overall :-))))) (jsut to prove my point one :-))

kafrique
03-01-2014, 15:26
Skaven for me. Leaving out the leftover monkey rats from pre-7th. Some impressive models have come out since then but the Skaven were the first plastic range that really looked great to me, every bit representative of the artwork. And in particular were shocking because of how poor the older Skaven were in comparison. In fact, I still like the Skaven more than some newer stuff. The Screaming Bell looks better than a lot of the new big centerpieces, the clanrats are perfect, etc. Since they really kicked the plastic production into overdrive GW has been getting a bit OTT with the sculpts. The Skaven were the perfect mix, for me, of being impressive, fantastical, and detailed while still being subtle and realistic enough to not look overtly cartoony.

Minigiant
03-01-2014, 15:32
Yes, in the end there might be equal quotes for all factions :). But perhaps that would mean that GW did a realy good job here, and I think that can not be, isn't it? :-)

There might just be but when i did this with 40k Eldar won overwhelmingly. People like armies for a variety of reasons, Aesthetics, Background, Strength, Special rules etc. This poll is mainly looking at one

Doctor Chewy
03-01-2014, 15:44
Voted for elves. All three have their flaws, but taken together, that's a strong aesthetic. I would have voted for WoC or Vampires, but I think the TK are fairly average, Beastmen have some SHOCKERS, and Daemons are just too silly.

Captain Collius
03-01-2014, 16:04
LIZARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have awesome dinosaurs you don't. As far as i'm concerned thats all that matters

gogs78
03-01-2014, 16:07
Most of the armies have some really nice models but has to be the elves overall.

SteveW
03-01-2014, 16:11
I think that the redone elf armies have the best looking models. Wood elves have a great look as well but some of the models are starting to look dated.

Lizards cannot win because dinosaurs had feathers...lol

Kingly
03-01-2014, 17:28
Skaven, I think their range is incredible, and bolstered by the lovely Island of Blood models.

shelfunit.
03-01-2014, 18:52
Skaven, I think their range is incredible, and bolstered by the lovely Island of Blood models.

Pretty much this, with lizardmen (minus the recent happy meal monsters release) coming a close second.

Spiney Norman
03-01-2014, 23:17
I voted Lizardmen because I think they have the second best range out there, I would have voted dark elves (which in my opinion is actually the best) if you hadn't lumped them together with high elves, which I consider to be one of the worst model ranges in the game.

Several of the armies suffer badly from inconsistent ranges, I'm thinking particularly high elves, orcs and goblins, tomb kings and to a certain extent VC as well here which have good quality recent models (Phoenix guard, savage orcs, tomb guard) alongside truly hideous models that are decades old (all HE core other than Seaguard, common goblins & orcs, TK skeleton warriors & cavalry).

TheBearminator
03-01-2014, 23:57
Probably Skaven I'd say. But I don't really follow fantasy that much anymore. But they're very uneven standard. Love the clanrats, some of the old models, like globadiers are awesome. I hate the rat ogres. In some way GW manage to make them worse every time they're updated. The "old" plastic plague monks was a bit of a disappointment even when they're first released. Really looking forward to new clan eshin models.

I also had great expectations on dark elves but was let down.

Djekar
04-01-2014, 00:21
Dark Elves are definitely my vote for best model range. It was excellent before, and I love all the new stuff. Makes me wonder why I'm not using any...

Mithrilherz
04-01-2014, 01:05
Except the actual core, for me still the best range are the Dwarfs.
And the Dogs of War range at that time was outstanding!

Zark the Damned
04-01-2014, 13:33
I agree that the DOW range was great, it was so full of character and excellent sculpts.

Out of the modern ranges, I'd have to go for Empire because I love the crazy renaissance machines and the griffon looks like it flew right out of a heraldry book.

Ohman
04-01-2014, 13:53
I would actually have to go with the Ogres! Not because they have lots of super amazing models but because the whole range has a very consistent style. The highs aren't as high as other ranges but there are almost no lows. I wouldn't pick any Ogre models for a top ten list of indvidual models but as a whole they have the top spot.

My favorite GW fantasy ranges of all time would be the old metal Dwarf and Orc & Goblin ranges. GW still hasnšt topped them.

Elly_Banearrow
04-01-2014, 16:11
My vote is for my army, Wood elves. I've seen the Dark elf models and their update, but a little jelly of the new witch elves. I saw the High elves with their cool flying boat of magic wood and their shiny new shadow warriors and sisters of avelorn...all nice, new models. But compare them to their much older (model wise) and nearly forgotten Wood Elven brethren. WE's have not had a model up date yet in many years (least as long as I've been playing) and they are still up to par with newer models. So, for that reason, they got my vote.

Yersinia Pestis
04-01-2014, 21:43
Elves???? C'mon!!!! That can't be true....
I voted Skaven for their cannon, globadiers, the isle of blood stuff, the doomwheel and so many more things!!!!
And no, i don't play Skaven (yet, lol), i play WoC.... who are also better looking than those pesky elves but not as great looking as those Skaven...

Soundwave
05-01-2014, 06:04
I voted Elves.But its hard...i like most of the ranges just some bad units here and there in most of them.
When you say "range"i think back to as far as fith ed and the old chaos dwarves as well were pretty cool:).

Borgomos
05-01-2014, 07:13
Skaven for me. Doomwheel and the Plague Monks made me start Warhammer.

GenerationTerrorist
05-01-2014, 16:45
Greenskins.

SSquirrel
06-01-2014, 01:16
Played Skaven in Blood Bowl a couple of times years ago. GW store opened near me this year and I went in and looked around, remembered Skaven and their stuff looked awesome. So I decided they would be my first army. Ogres are probably 2nd and I agree w/the earlier sentiments of consistent range. Lizardmen are one that has some of the most potential if well painted. So much variety when you think about lizards in the real world

Lord Dan
06-01-2014, 01:55
Regiments of Reknown.

Gharnukk
06-01-2014, 06:19
My vote is on the Elves but that is just for the Dark and High elf kind as it is now.
But hopefully the new Wood elves release will be great aswell.

SpanielBear
06-01-2014, 12:05
Wood Elves are definitely dated, but their sprues do come with so many cool little extras, especially spites. And any army that allows me to add freaking Owls to my models wins my vote! :)

Spider-pope
06-01-2014, 12:32
Most of the ranges i can think of one or two miniatures i would change. The one range i can't is Orcs and Goblins. I don't currently collect them myself, but i can't think of a single model that i wouldn't be happy to have in my collection.

Max_Killfactor
07-01-2014, 02:26
I think Chaos Warriors have the best range pretty easily. They just all look so badass.

Dark Elves and High Elves are next for me.

There's not really any bad ranges imo though.

Evil Hypnotist
07-01-2014, 08:20
Unfortunately I had to vote for all Elves but Wood Elves are the best looking army, and have been for 10+ years despite other armies getting updates. Roll on May for reinforcements!

Oogie boogie boss
07-01-2014, 13:06
My vote has to go to the Dogs of War range. Best by a long shout IMO. Or at least it would be, if the models were still available. Damn GW.......

mrtn
07-01-2014, 21:38
Beastmen. Sure, minotaurs have never been GW's strong point (they still haven't beaten Ox-Roar), and the crazy pig is silly, but ungors, gors, bestigors are all awesome, and their older incarnations are good as well. I have four-five generations of beastmen in my army and they're all cool.

Odin
07-01-2014, 22:25
Dark Elves I think. They have the most consistently good model range, without the massive hand syndrome of High Elf spearmen, or the ghastly metal miniatures in the Wood Elf range. The only bum note is the new Hydra, but if you've got the old one you're fine.

Chaos have some of the best miniatures, as well as some of the worst. The Juggernaut Lord is awesome, as are the Dragonn Ogres, Bloodletters, Gors and Bestigor. But Chaos Trolls, Chaos Ogres, Razorgor, Donkeythirster... well, let's just say they disqualify Chaos from the top spot.

SteveW
07-01-2014, 22:56
The more of my Lizardmen I paint up the further they climb the ranks of best model range. If I could only forget about the cold one riders.

Lord Dan
08-01-2014, 04:09
If I could only forget about the cold one riders.

If you finally happen to, please let the rest of us in on how you managed it...

Spiney Norman
09-01-2014, 10:42
The more of my Lizardmen I paint up the further they climb the ranks of best model range. If I could only forget about the cold one riders.

Its not that difficult really, their rules are almost as bad as their models, and I converted my two cowboy characters from some spare DE cold ones that came with a friend's scourgerunner chariot so count me blissfully unaware...

adtheis
09-01-2014, 17:17
I had to go Chaos. WoC have awesome lords/heroes, Beastmen have the core and monsters (minus the razorgor), and Daemons have… plague drones I guess.
Undead was my second (LOVE the VCs), Skaven third.

Lizardmen and Elves were sweet in past editions but their new models look so cartoony. I bought a small Lizzy army anticipating a dope release, only to sell it after being so disappointed.

Kingly
09-01-2014, 17:25
Oh my gosh, do people still use 'Dope' as a connotation! I thought that died in the 90's!

Anyway, I'm not sure what Elves look cartoony? I think the ELf release was pretty blooming amazing!

Alltaken
09-01-2014, 20:58
Wow not liking the lizardmen is wierd. I think DE are pretty much the best over all, you might not like the hidra, but it's not horrible like a lot of woc or beastmen stuff say. I would just want new shades really

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Minigiant
09-01-2014, 22:56
See Part 2 (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?387590-Best-Model-Range-Part-2) to see how the grouped races do when they stand alone