PDA

View Full Version : Allies for Guard Advice

Wash
03-01-2014, 16:46
Hey all, I am looking to add an allied detachment to my guard. I want to add a Space Marine Chapter, was looking for some advice.

I generally run 2k lists with my gaming group. My guard part of the list would generally consist of;

Primaris Psyker w/10 man Psyker Squad in a Chimera
2 Veteran Squads, Demolitions, 3 plasma, in Vendettas
1 Veteran Squad, Demolitions, 3 melta, in Chimera
2-3 Leman Russ, various builds, generally I use exterminators and executioners

I was looking at a couple options for Marines, let me know what you suggest

Iron Hands - Raukaan
Master of the Forge on Bike, Gorgon's Chain, Tempered Helm, Power Axe
10 Sniper Scouts, Missile Launcher
3-4 Centurions (depending on points), Grav Canons, Omniscope

-Master of the Forge can offer some solid support for the armour in the army, as well as the tempered helm boosting the shooting of the centurions if they need it. With the bike and Gorgon's Chain he'd be very hard to kill, so running him solo would probably work out fine. Boost the terrain of either the centurions or the sniper scouts.

White Scars
Chapter Master on Bike, not sure what build yet
5 man bike squad
Storm Raven, hurricane bolters, TL lascanon, TL multi melta

-A more assault option to add some CC support to my guard. Storm Raven will add even more additional flying support, and if one of the Vendetta's go down it can still pick up 1 of the vet squads.

Mandragola
03-01-2014, 17:16
Afraid I have to start with a couple of rules points.

It's worth pointing out that allies can never use each other's transports, so the storm raven cannot pick up your vets. And to be honest vendettas are so good there's no real reason to ally in another plane. Also a motf can't fix IG tanks - which is stupid but I'm pretty sure it's in the FAQ. You can only fix stuff from your own detachment. Makes sense that he can't fix an allied Tau hammerhead, but he should be able to mend a Russ.

Personally I like the white scars option best, because I think some biker troops would be far more of an asset to you than the sniper scouts. IG can struggle to get scoring units across the board and these guys have the ability to go anywhere.

Yvain
03-01-2014, 18:31
To continue Mandragoia's trend of not answering your question right away. Primaris Pyskers are garbage. You would do well to dump him in favor of pretty much anything. An inquisitor with psy mastery is much cheaper and far more effective because of increased leadership and better access to powers including the OP divination tree. It looks like you might be building to use the Shriek combo so I understand if you are hesitant to change it. However, droping maybe 3 psykers and the Primaris could give you a better psyker, additional Chimera, and a few Warband for a meatshield. Its worth looking into at least.

Now to jump off my high horse, on to allies:

Your first Iron Hand build doesn't fit with your mobile army. Cents have low range and ratlings are much better snipers than scouts, minus they can't score part they are cheaper and more effective.

Your second white scars build is much better fit, but you don't need a Stormraven if you are not putting anything in it. And as Man already said Vendettas will to the job. In addition, that would be 600 plus in reserve that may end up sitting there waiting. Either go full on bikes or something else.

The Guards main advantages are firepower, range, and multiple cheaper units. Your army build minus the tanks is not focus on range or cheaper multi units. So you really need to get those expensive squads in as quick as possible. Look for Marines as something that is durable to hold objectives and allow your Chimeras to close the gap to fire their weapons.

With some regular bike squads plus grav rifles in the front to screen your Chimeras, the rest of your firepower should be able to get in close. In addition they can deal some great damage to expensive units with their weapons as well. In addition, if you are doing the Psyker combo, go Libby on a bike. Since a PBS can't fire from inside a chimera, you really do not want them anywhere near the front.

Another option, would be drop pods. Sticking one in his face turn one, will really throw him off balance and by the time he is done dealing with them it will be too late to stop your guardsmen. Space Wolves in drop pods are very effective in both mid range shooting and CC. If you want to go Codex marines, Iron Hands with a Dread and a few squads would work pretty well.

Wash
03-01-2014, 18:37
ah didn't know about the MoTF not being able to fix IG tanks, I thought being battle brothers that they'd be able too. That makes my decision pretty easy. Centurions would probably still be a viable option I'd imagine.

I will look at inquisitor. Generally I used a primaris psyker because its a cheap option and this army never really benefitted from a command squad. I haven't used this army once in 6th ed, so I forgot about the squad not being able to cast out of a chimera, so I'll scrap them for another option.

Drop pods are a solid idea, I think if I were to do that, I'd go full out Salmanders with Vulkan. That would spread the table around and take focus away from my Leman Russ.