PDA

View Full Version : Krueger's Cursed Company

Glenn87
03-01-2014, 23:03
Hey guys, I'm building a VC army and have a few Cursed Company dudes lying around.
I was wondering, when they were released (september 2001), did they come in a boxed set, or only in Blisters?

Lord Zarkov
03-01-2014, 23:47
They came in blisters IIRC. 1 blister had Richter and the banner and musician, and the other had three random skellies.

Glenn87
03-01-2014, 23:48
alright, thx.
So never a box of 10-12 guys?

Lord Zarkov
03-01-2014, 23:54
alright, thx.
So never a box of 10-12 guys?
No, back then boxes were generally for plastics only. It was only much later that the box of 5-10 metals/resins trend started.

Mithrilherz
04-01-2014, 01:07
I think there have been a box. I have all the box pictures on my PC at home.
But I am on vacation now ...

Lord Dan
04-01-2014, 03:57
No, back then boxes were generally for plastics only. It was only much later that the box of 5-10 metals/resins trend started.

This isn't entirely true.

Actually, before GW started making 10-man plastic sets most special choices came in 10-man boxes of metal miniatures (this often lead to problems, as the even-numbered boxes and the odd-numbered command blisters always lead to uneven units). The entire Dogs of War line was the same way, with almost everything being available in a 10-man box set with separately available blisters (though in their case, because the unit champions were heroes, the commands were typically included in the boxes and the units were larger). For example:

http://chaosorc.com/images/Warhammer%20Dogs%20of%20War%20Pirazzo%20Lost%20L.j pg
http://chaosorc.com/images/Warhammer%20Dogs%20of%20War%20Leopold%20Leopard%20 C.jpg

That said, no box set was ever released for the Cursed Company.

Rodman49
04-01-2014, 04:50
I love these models and remember them being on the Empire side in a White Dwarf; they used to have the rule for "hating undead" and had cool undead dwarves and Saurus. I think I still have about 30 of them NIB.

Freman Bloodglaive
04-01-2014, 05:24
That was one Regiment of Renown I didn't own. A lot of pikes, a few pirate slayers, birdmen and various human regiments, but no undead or ogres.

Then GW wrote them out of existence.

Pity, really nice models.

Lord Dan
04-01-2014, 05:51
Pity, really nice models.

I still feel that Pirazzo's Lost Legion, Ricco's Republican Guard, and the Alacanti Fellowship were some of the best models GW has ever put out. I still dream of collecting a DoW army one day...

Zark the Damned
04-01-2014, 13:47
I still feel that Pirazzo's Lost Legion, Ricco's Republican Guard, and the Alacanti Fellowship were some of the best models GW has ever put out. I still dream of collecting a DoW army one day...

You should go for it, DOW are a fun force :D

Regarding box sets, I think all of the 'main' DOW units got one (the ones from the book) - the units introduced in WD didn't get boxes, just individual blisters (iirc these were the cursed company, the manflayers, amazons and armoured orcs).

Sadly I only ever managed to get hold of the command group for the cursed company, by the time I was collecting properly the rest of the guys were OOP and getting ridiculous prices on ebay. Still, it made for a fun conversion project :)

Contemno Mortis
05-01-2014, 23:00
I'm pretty sure they did get a 10 man box set. I know one of the other Regiments of Renown (Rugluds Armoured Orcs) definitely got one as it is sitting in my cupboard!

Lord Dan
06-01-2014, 00:29
I'm pretty sure they did get a 10 man box set. I know one of the other Regiments of Renown (Rugluds Armoured Orcs) definitely got one as it is sitting in my cupboard!

Yeah, that's where things get weird. Ruglud's was, like the Cursed Company, also a WD release (right?) but did in fact get a 10-man box, which is actually still available from GW:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1140034

That said I don't remember ever seeing a 10-man CC box, nor can I find a picture of one through Google (as I can easily do with any of the kits which actually got 10-15 man boxes).

MasterSplinter
06-01-2014, 04:18
Yes, i remember also that some DoW special Regiments came in Boxes, atleast Hobgobla Khans Wolfriders and Lumpin Croops Fighting Cocks, the first two boxes i ever bought. Oh well... nostalgic thoughts.. long time ago.
But they were released a time before the cursed company so i cant say exactly.

jullevi
06-01-2014, 18:31
Ruglud's Armoured Orcs and Mengil Manhide's Manflayers both had a 10-man set (including command group) but Cursed Company didn't get one. I know this because I would have made a purchase if there had been one (and no such box appears in the White Dwarf of release month). Instead, I had to settle for a dozen of Cursed Company blisters found at the bargain bin of FLGS :D

corps
06-01-2014, 23:17
they make also pretty good model diorama or battle scenery. the saurus for example could be great in a tropicl swamp scenery. i love those models.

Glenn87
06-01-2014, 23:55
yeah, I love them too. I've got the command + 6 other Cursed Skeletons. They'll be the front rank of my new VC army :)

Anyone has an idea what Pikeman could be used as? (as there's an FLG who still has a box of Pikemen here).

Zark the Damned
07-01-2014, 21:58
Easiest use for Pikemen is Spearmen in an Empire army.

Didn't realise that Ruglud's chaps had a boxed set, never saw it myself (I know there's a 10-man set but didn't think it had it's own box).

GrandmasterWang
10-01-2014, 00:22
I have 20 of these bad boys. Full crew. For a while I was using them (opponents didn't mind) But at 405 points they were well underpowered.

Im considering tryinf the fan DOW book rules for them which are similar but make em alot cheaper. Crumble is their bane but getting them into pleb infantry amd bringing the skeletons back is great.

Cursed company vs zombies is brilliant! I doubled regiment size and they became a force!

Lovely models.. especially the command and dead ironbreaker

Autumn Leaves
10-01-2014, 08:39
eBay is your only friend

cornonthecob
10-01-2014, 09:36
eBay is your only friend

At the prices he charges Ebay is not your friend.

Glenn87
10-01-2014, 09:49
no, Ebay is NOT nice to DoW fans...10 euro's PER single infantry model (I've seen the Cursed Company Orc on there for 14...) and prices between 80-120 euro's for a unit (of 10-15 models)...

Zark the Damned
11-01-2014, 11:38
I've found eBay to be not too bad for DOW stuff. The trick was avoiding the ludicrous buy it now prices, and to be patient and seek out things which are not being watched like hawks by the snipers. Found a few bargains that way (I got a very good deal on the Birdmen and Wolf Riders this way).

Then again it really depends on what you want, some things are ridiculously overpriced on eBay.

tbh nowadays you're best off converting minis, it's what I did for my Cursed Company.

Freman Bloodglaive
12-01-2014, 08:37
At the prices he charges Ebay is not your friend.

eBay is that friend who likes to ogle your mum and steal your lunch money.

untimention
13-01-2014, 11:17
I contact GW to see if they were making new rules for the models. In summary, No. They have no plans to re-release the models and as they are now rather old, they won't release rules for models people can't buy (although I pointed out lots of conversion opportunities).

I love the unit but they definitely aren't cheap.