PDA

View Full Version : Fighting aliens in dark corridors

Hengist
03-01-2014, 23:35
I've volunteered to write a Space Hulk campaign, and find myself lacking inspiration. Other than the scenario material published for the game's various incarnations, and Gav's novella, what good depictions have there been of Space Hulk boarding actions?

(I'd be happy to hear non-40k suggestions, with the proviso that I watched Aliens a few weeks ago, and I'm not sitting through Starship Troopers again.)

harlokin
03-01-2014, 23:42
There is a quite fun short story called The Core, in Fear the Alien. The Night Lords board a Space Hulk in order to reach a Mechanicus Explorator vessel containing the secrets of a Titan Legion.

Lexicanum overview of the story:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Core_%28Short_Story%29#The_Core

MajorWesJanson
04-01-2014, 05:04
Death of Integrity is basically Space Hulk: the SM Battle Book.
The Emperor's Finest has Cain on a Space Hulk for part of it.

Hengist
04-01-2014, 10:00
I've read the Cain story, but the other two are both unknown to me; thank you both very much. Time for a trip to eBay...

Everto
04-01-2014, 12:16
Might not be what you're after, but have you played the Dead Space series of video games. It's basically alien zombie creatures in dark corridors, may be helpful.

Bob Arctor
04-01-2014, 16:38
In the Complete Kal Jerico collection there is a story (Above and Beyond) that features an Inquisitorial team boarding a Space Hulk. There was also a short comic strip that featured Terminators boarding a hulk in a very early issue of Inferno magazine (may have been issue 1). This was reprinted at some point but I can't recall the name of the collection it was in.

Tomxj
04-01-2014, 19:27
Remember it need not be set in a space hulk. Deathwing was on a hive world, advanced space crusdade to the fight on a tyranid hive ship.
Other twists have been done, I've seen an imperial guard mission set on a prison planet (alien 3) where the guards men had no wepaons and had to shut a single genestealer in a room.

Mix it up a bit.

Promethius
04-01-2014, 22:30
I think there was a uriel ventris short set on a space hulk which was later used as a preamble to the second book vs 'nids on tarsis ultra. It's probably in the ventris collection.
In the bloodquest graphic novel they got caught up in a space ship graveyard and boarded a pre-imperium human vessel filled with cannibals. It was quite cool.

Azazyll
05-01-2014, 02:18
John Carpenter's The Thing would provide good inspiration for atmosphere. A few Lovecraft stories might help with ambiance as well, like At the Mountains of Madness, The Shadow over Innsmouth, The Shadow out of Time and Dreams in the Witch House.

insectum7
05-01-2014, 06:17
John Carpenter's The Thing would provide good inspiration for atmosphere.

Speaking of movies, you might want to check out Leviathan (1989). While a clear knock-off of The Thing, it features more industrial hallways and big, bulky armored underwater suits.

Azazyll
05-01-2014, 09:32
And for Demons in Space, Event Horizon. How did they not get a CAD from GW ;)

Seriously, remember lots of things can show up in a space hulk...

El_Machinae
05-01-2014, 16:18
And Deep Rising is awesome in its own way.

nedius
05-01-2014, 17:11
why not look at Imperial Armour 4(?), the Anphelion Project? Lots of corridor fighting ideas there.

Then there's always the various stories from the Aliens universe. Lots of good ideas there. My tyranid army is loosely based on the Aliens graphic novel 'Nightmare Asylum'.

If you feel lazy, I converted the Electronic Arts PC game, based on the Deathwing story, into a campaign. the file is here:

http://nedius.webs.com/deathwing%20campaign%20book.pdf

If nothing else, might give you some mission ideas.

Hengist
05-01-2014, 22:46
These are some truly marvellous suggestions chaps; tea and medals all round. If I come up with something good, I shall be sure to share it.

spacemonkeymojo
06-01-2014, 12:46
I would have to say what may be of interest is the Dark Horse comics exploration of the alien's universe. They also made the AvP comic which was, in my opinion, a superior storyline to what was released in theaters.

I enjoyed the Killing Angels comic series arc. They also had a series dedicated to the colonial marines but I found the artwork to be subpar and disliked the story (they had Vasquez's sister in it which I thought was just catering to a fan base but a cheap way to do it). However, they did have this water based agricultural planet that I thought was unique as the aliens coming out of water you can't see far into is a scary premise. If you want imagery it's a good place to investigate.

Asi the Red
06-01-2014, 14:22
In one of the Gaunt's Ghost's omnibus' there is a book about them defending an abandoned fortress, I believe it's Only in Death. It's not a space hulk, but has many interesting "fights in corridors," some good "we didn't think they could get in that way" spots, a pretty good "we already checked for hidden doors... Oh man, a hidden door...," and some other good stuff you might be able to pillage.