PDA

View Full Version : The look of the new Tyranid minitures

Tyrelli
04-01-2014, 07:17
Anyone else think they have the same silhouette as the CSM new minitures ? The new Tyranid flyers look like organic Heldrakes and the new monsters have the same shape as the mailers ....

Or is it just me ?

MajorWesJanson
04-01-2014, 07:48
Well, the Harpy/Crone rather resemble the old EpicHarridan model, and the Exocrine is basically a scaled up biovore/pyrovore. Yes they are similar, but that seems to be a case of form follows function for the nids, and the Daemon engines following an organic form rather than a more mechanical one.

nedius
04-01-2014, 09:51
Way back when the new CSM fiends, I said similar things about their similarity to 'nids.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/nedius/tyranidmaulerfiend_zps1eae8692.jpg

There is definitely some similarities in the designs. No idea the extent to which it is intentional or otherwise.

Camman1984
04-01-2014, 10:40
I like the new nid models, i think several of them are a bit too humanoid for my liking but they look cool. Other than the exocrines other half (haruspex?), i dont like the look of its maw? It reminds me more of that chaos mutilator beast from fantasy than an alien creature. Tyranids usually seem more 'engineered' but the mouth monster seems more like a chaos mutant.

Vipoid
04-01-2014, 11:13
They look fine, as far as I can see.

Although Hive Fleet Eumenides looks like it was somehow painted to resemble a magic-eye picture, and makes my eyes hurt when I look at it.

Also, when I saw this model (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440160a&prodId=prod2340096a), all I could think of was this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UzLgdb1GQ).

Andy089
04-01-2014, 11:20
I do wonder why they didn't just include a closed mouth for it.

Looking at the sprues you can't even really get rid of the squiggly bits...

I like the new rending claws of the Warriors! I also generally like the new big bugs - not a huge fan of the solution of the arm-mounts of the harpy as you can't convert it properly now (so basically useless for conversions), but oh well.

D-FLINCH
04-01-2014, 12:44
I agree that the mouth is a little rediculous but in general I like the models. But now we just have to wait to see their rules. And am I the only one that is impressed that there is a box of 20 models for $44. that's $22 for 10 where it use to be $29 for $12. That's a nice saving. I didn't think that was going to happen!

Retrospectus
04-01-2014, 12:55
100 euro for 95 models is pretty good too

Ivanzypher
04-01-2014, 16:04
I see what you mean about the silhouettes. In general the models are kinda disappointing i think. They are just a bit uninspiring.

Tyrelli
05-01-2014, 09:23
Way back when the new CSM fiends, I said similar things about their similarity to 'nids.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/nedius/tyranidmaulerfiend_zps1eae8692.jpg

There is definitely some similarities in the designs. No idea the extent to which it is intentional or otherwise.

Perfect example, they do seem to have a similar theme don't they

nedius
05-01-2014, 12:12
It would be interesting to add the haruspex to that diagram. See how those match up.

Axeman1n
05-01-2014, 14:38
Mutalith Vortex Beast?

Lord Damocles
05-01-2014, 14:48
It's a pity GW binned the design(s) of the classic Haruspex and Exocrine in favour of 'bigger Carnifex'.

Neither do they really have much of a niche in the list/background any more with the addition of the Trygon/Mawloc and Tyranofex.

Lantern
05-01-2014, 15:19
Although Hive Fleet Eumenides looks like it was somehow painted to resemble a magic-eye picture, and makes my eyes hurt when I look at it.

That's actually something I deliberately aim for with my Tyranids. On the tabletop, I find it makes it hard for my opponents to count, it confuses them and makes them waste shooting, mis-manage movement etc, all the while distracting them from the genuine threats in my army, similar to how zebra stripes confuse predators in regards to how many 'prey' are in a herd.

superdupermatt
05-01-2014, 15:34
Mutalith Vortex Beast?

That was what I first thought when I saw it too, it's very similar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

nedius
05-01-2014, 16:06
It's a pity GW binned the design(s) of the classic Haruspex and Exocrine in favour of 'bigger Carnifex'.

Neither do they really have much of a niche in the list/background any more with the addition of the Trygon/Mawloc and Tyranofex.

Well, Trygons are classic nid beasts. They've been around for ages.

Previously, Trygons, Haruspex and Exocrines were all part of the same genus - Trygons had talons, Haruspex had claws, and exocrines had a gun, but they were otherwise variants on a single bioform. The Tyrannofex should never have been created, nor the tervigon. The tervigon should have been a Malefactor (nid transport beast), and the tyrannofex should have been the exocrine. I see their inclusion in this codex as representative of that, but now the kit is out there they are stuck with it.

I'd be tempted to kitbash the trygon and haruspex/exocrine kits to maintain that old link between those creatures. Probably use the mouthparts of the Vortex beast too... Oddly, it's mouthparts look more organic, and the haruspex's more demonic...

Shas'o M'yen
05-01-2014, 16:16
One think I definitely like is the fact that you get more weapon choices for the Warriors, just makes it easier when giving them all the same weapon combos etc.

Plus they might actually be worthy of fighting now ;)

Sternguard777
05-01-2014, 19:03
I like the new models. I think the Exocrine looks far better than the Tyrannofex and the Haruspex looks like something to run away from really fast. I think its mouth might be my favorite thing of the new releases. Well that and the bulk value gants and gaunts.

still-young
05-01-2014, 19:30
I like the new models. I think the Exocrine looks far better than the Tyrannofex and the Haruspex looks like something to run away from really fast. I think its mouth might be my favorite thing of the new releases. Well that and the bulk value gants and gaunts.

I seem to be in the minority, i really like the look of the Tyrannofex, definitely prefer it to the exocrine. I do really like the Haruspex though.

Sternguard777
05-01-2014, 19:39
I seem to be in the minority, i really like the look of the Tyrannofex, definitely prefer it to the exocrine. I do really like the Haruspex though.

I think its the way they oriented its gun. In the codex art it comes out of the body like on the Exocrine but when they made the model it just has it in its hands.

still-young
05-01-2014, 19:53
I think its the way they oriented its gun. In the codex art it comes out of the body like on the Exocrine but when they made the model it just has it in its hands.

Yeah i guess, it looks cool in the art, but i don't even mind that its just holding it. i really like the body too, the way it arches up like the hierophant.

Sternguard777
05-01-2014, 20:02
Yeah i guess, it looks cool in the art, but i don't even mind that its just holding it. i really like the body too, the way it arches up like the hierophant.

Well to each his own I suppose :D

still-young
05-01-2014, 20:09
Well to each his own I suppose :D

Indeed :) i was just a bit shocked so many people dont like the tyrannofex :)

Nazguire
05-01-2014, 21:39
I like what they've done with the Harpy and Crone! The Haruspex looks appropriately weird I think, and the Exocrine reminds me of Starship Troopers which is cool right there.
Would have loved to have seen a brand new Gaunt kit though, I personally think it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

still-young
05-01-2014, 22:35
I like what they've done with the Harpy and Crone! The Haruspex looks appropriately weird I think, and the Exocrine reminds me of Starship Troopers which is cool right there.
Would have loved to have seen a brand new Gaunt kit though, I personally think it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

how would you change the gaunts, out of curiosity? :)

Plague Lord
05-01-2014, 23:09
100 euro for 95 models is pretty good too

What!? FFS!

On the polish GW site they list the box with a price tag of 520zł... That's over 25euro more than it costs in your country... disgusting

the euro to polish złoty exchange rate is 4,16 not 5,20...

Nope not gonna let them rob me!

still-young
05-01-2014, 23:11
What!? FFS!

On the polish GW site they list the box with a price tag of 520zł... That's over 25euro more than it costs in your country... disgusting

the euro to polish złoty exchange rate is 4,16 not 5,20...

Nope not gonna let them rob me!

you can get the swarm box on discount sites if that helps at all...

Plague Lord
05-01-2014, 23:17
you can get the swarm box on discount sites if that helps at all...

Or I'll buy some stuff next time I'm in London... but my will power is too weak and I'll probably get the shooty beast :/

Johnmclane
06-01-2014, 01:31
I think the fliers would have looked better with legs on them somewhere. Birds have legs and they should too :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Voss
06-01-2014, 02:32
I think the fliers would have looked better with legs on them somewhere. Birds have legs and they should too :)

They're birds of paradise.

Plus, they're just released from ships to help kill planetary defenders, then they die and the biomass reabsorbed by the Fleets. They don't need to land.

Sternguard777
06-01-2014, 03:35

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Looking at the top down view of the wingspan I think it does have legs, just tiny atrophied ones. If you look the the gargoyle models they have the same deal.

Nazguire
06-01-2014, 05:24
If I was going to redesign the Gant boxes, I'd just make them more detailed and just be more up to date with today's kits. I personally think they look real dated.