PDA

View Full Version : customizing Wood elf army to be a dark elf army

Kingrick
04-01-2014, 21:40
I thought this may be interesting to do. I really like wood elves model range but not really into the book since it is so outdated. I think the models would be the ones with shields as wood elves don't really have them, I'll give you a list of what I was thinking so far.

Bowman as repeater crossbowmen
not sure of most the dark elf core as they all have shields.
Wardancers as witch elves
glade riders as dark riders
eternal guard as black guard or executioners
I wanted to us dryads for black guard but I think there base size is too big so i'm not sure if they will fit in.
waywatchers as shades
wild rider as cold one knight
Dragon as Hydra
harpies not sure yet
bolt thrower not sure yet
tree kin on bigger base for chariot? not too sure
cauldron of blood or shrine I'm not sure on either, I suppose I could try to find some woodlands alter type of scenery.
Mounted sorcerers for the warlock unit
treeman for bloodwrack medusa? not sure on that one either.

Anyone want to give me a hand with this?

Odin
04-01-2014, 22:38
You can't wait four months for the new army book? Or do you just mean as a temporary measure? I'd do it the other way round personally... start with the WE models and work out which DE rules best represent them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Methios
04-01-2014, 22:38
I would wait, since the new wood elf book is rumoured to go up in may. :)

Spiney Norman
04-01-2014, 22:44
You get this with space marine armies in 40k all the time, 'I'm going to use my blood angels as codex marines because they have a new codex and its better', why not with elves?

I'd probably argue that high elves are a better fit for wood elves because at least your archers have the right kind of bow, and eagles are a direct port over, but its true that neither army has a satisfactory counts-as option to represent either dryads or treekin which are key lynch-pins of the wood elf list.

I am just quietly painting up my wood elves in preparation for May, my number 1 hope for the new book is that my 30 strong unit of eternal guard finally becomes worth bringing to the table, even back in the days when the current book was strong eternal guard were still something of a red-headed stepchild unit, its about time they got some limelight.

KalEf
04-01-2014, 22:48
the sisters of slaughter make better wardancers, than wardancers ever have! they basically have all the dances active at once and cost 3 points less lol. If you hang around a lot of people who would give you guff about it, have appropriate trophies in over 50% of the bases. Shrine to loec, cockatrice instead of a Medusa, a beheaded medusa on a war wagon of sorts, you could use white lions for the heavily armored units (and make it look like a pelt an leather armor), etc... all fine ideas

Kingrick
04-01-2014, 23:40
I was thinking as a temporary measure, but it would also give you a chance to switch up armies from time to time, if your gaming group doesn't mind that is.

Kingrick
04-01-2014, 23:40
Those are some decent ideas

Kingrick
04-01-2014, 23:41
You get this with space marine armies in 40k all the time, 'I'm going to use my blood angels as codex marines because they have a new codex and its better', why not with elves?

I'd probably argue that high elves are a better fit for wood elves because at least your archers have the right kind of bow, and eagles are a direct port over, but its true that neither army has a satisfactory counts-as option to represent either dryads or treekin which are key lynch-pins of the wood elf list.

I am just quietly painting up my wood elves in preparation for May, my number 1 hope for the new book is that my 30 strong unit of eternal guard finally becomes worth bringing to the table, even back in the days when the current book was strong eternal guard were still something of a red-headed stepchild unit, its about time they got some limelight.

Yeah my fear is they won't actually release the book, that may be silly, but how many times of WE been rumored just to not happen?

Spiney Norman
05-01-2014, 00:03
Yeah my fear is they won't actually release the book, that may be silly, but how many times of WE been rumored just to not happen?

40K radio has a good to track record, and when the DE book came out the WD article with the author implied that all three elf army books had been developed alongside each other by the same team so its all looking quite good.

Back on topic, I did actually used to do this kind of thing back in 7th edition, using my Tomb King army as both a normal TK army and a Lahmian themed vampire counts army. The skeleton infantry and cavalry ported over exactly, a chariot became my black coach, my liche priests worked as necromancers, the tomb scorpion became a varghulf, and the carrion doubled as fell bats, the only thing that was different was swapping out my tomb king for a Lahmian vampire on a horse (the one with the snake wrapped around her arm).

Kingrick
05-01-2014, 00:45
40K radio has a good to track record, and when the DE book came out the WD article with the author implied that all three elf army books had been developed alongside each other by the same team so its all looking quite good.

Back on topic, I did actually used to do this kind of thing back in 7th edition, using my Tomb King army as both a normal TK army and a Lahmian themed vampire counts army. The skeleton infantry and cavalry ported over exactly, a chariot became my black coach, my liche priests worked as necromancers, the tomb scorpion became a varghulf, and the carrion doubled as fell bats, the only thing that was different was swapping out my tomb king for a Lahmian vampire on a horse (the one with the snake wrapped around her arm).

that works well, Can't believe i've never tried it, I've been playing Vamps since 5th edition (well i guess it was just undead back then)