PDA

View Full Version : Poss not Dwarves next fantasy release

scoutbike
05-01-2014, 02:10
Spoke to a friend of mine the other day who works for GW. He will quite literally give me a wink for release rumours that are correct. And whilst he did indeed wink at Space Marines, Dark Elves and Tyranids, he didnt for Dwarves, commenting only "well the next release is a fantasy one, I dont know about Dwarves though".

As per usual, time will tell. If he's being his usual reliable self, then either there's something before March that is fantasy related and not Dwarves, or something is coming out for fantasy in March that isnt Dwarves.

Just putting it out there. No real need to speculate. If he had any more info, he'd have told me. He has been quite happy to confirm the last three releases with me though, but he did seem tight lipped about this next one.

*edit - This is not the same source who gave me the dark elf release date last year (I was the first to post that to Warseer months ahead). That source was someone at GW HQ, this one is not.

Malagor
05-01-2014, 02:23
Can't be wood elves since I doubt they will do two elf armies in a row.
I'm still sure it's dwarves but to be honest, brets need it more if only for new models.
Maybe that's what it is, a model wave ?

Hragnar Goreskull
05-01-2014, 04:06
Could it be that we would get 2 fantasy armies in a row? Has that even happened during any 8th releases?

Montegue
05-01-2014, 04:34
If your source is just a shop worker, it's not really all that useful. Dwarfs have been Q1 2014 from all common reliable sources for a while now. So, March at the latest. I'm still holding out for Feb.

Lord Inquisitor
05-01-2014, 06:27
Could it be that we would get 2 fantasy armies in a row? Has that even happened during any 8th releases?

Daemons and High Elves were back to back weren't they?

Ishivia
05-01-2014, 07:58
Daemons doesn't really 'count as' a fantasy army (for release schedule purposes!) though, as it is also a 40k one.

dalezzz
05-01-2014, 08:32
Maybe a dwarf Vs skaven campaign book followed by dwarf army book ( and skaven after imperial guard :) a couple of months later of course )

MajorWesJanson
05-01-2014, 11:03

Daemons are 40K and Fantasy, so no matter what, they are back to back releases.

Targ Ironfist
05-01-2014, 15:27
Maybe a dwarf Vs skaven campaign book followed by dwarf army book ( and skaven after imperial guard :) a couple of months later of course )

THis does not realy give sense. If to indroduce a new campaign book, then why do it before the army is updated??? After is logical, to involve more people in buying models, simply promoting products (new units) and such.
Vampire vs. Empire book promoted both armies in general plus a package deal of undead. That gives economic sense.

For me it is logical that new dawi will be released either february or march, with a possible figure wave release in between the nids and dawi.

With regards

Voss
05-01-2014, 15:48
from the context, he was feeling lazy in the thread title, and didn't spell out 'possibly'

innerwolf
05-01-2014, 15:49
Possibly? I don't know, at first I always read posh and pictured Dwarves wearing Ralph Lauren polo shirts :D

quantumcollider
05-01-2014, 16:17
:eyebrows:

I like to add that if the thread starter cannot be bothered to write a thread title without using awkward abbreviations (or leetspeak, or all caps, etc.), he cannot expect me to bother actually reading it. Let alone take it seriously.

In_Fiction
05-01-2014, 16:29
Seems like you guys are desperate to get a new thread started to discuss the newest Fantasy release everytime Darnok closes the latest thread, lol.

Spiney Norman
05-01-2014, 17:51
Spoke to a friend of mine the other day who works for GW. He will quite literally give me a wink for release rumours that are correct. And whilst he did indeed wink at Space Marines, Dark Elves and Tyranids, he didnt for Dwarves, commenting only "well the next release is a fantasy one, I dont know about Dwarves though".

As per usual, time will tell. If he's being his usual reliable self, then either there's something before March that is fantasy related and not Dwarves, or something is coming out for fantasy in March that isnt Dwarves.

Just putting it out there. No real need to speculate. If he had any more info, he'd have told me. He has been quite happy to confirm the last three releases with me though, but he did seem tight lipped about this next one.

*edit - This is not the same source who gave me the dark elf release date last year (I was the first to post that to Warseer months ahead). That source was someone at GW HQ, this one is not.

This could be understood slightly differently, 40k radio rumoured dwarfs in march a while ago (and they have a good record), if the dwarf army book does drop in March perhaps we are in for something else in February that is also Fantasy related, perhaps not an army book release, maybe some kind of expansion or campaign book? It sounds like he is a pretty cryptic fellow.

I agree with Malagor that Wood elves look unlikely to go back to back with dark elves, judging by Matt Ward's comments in the DE release issue high and dark were developed in tandem, but they still stuck Lizardmen between them to break up the elfyess. On the other hand, perhaps they think that with all the excitement of Christmas there has been enough of a gap and we will get the Asrai (ok, this is me just being hopeful now).

Brother Haephestus
05-01-2014, 18:42
:eyebrows:

I like to add that if the thread starter cannot be bothered to write a thread title without using awkward abbreviations (or leetspeak, or all caps, etc.), he cannot expect me to bother actually reading it. Let alone take it seriously.
And yet you did, and responded.

I know conjecture gets these posts shut down, but I'm wondering if Brets bumped up? With their recent retrograde from the GW site and various whispers about (cue Dave Bowman) "something wonderful" coming, I wonder if this might not be the case?

It's GW - who even knows any more?

PS: In ref to the Dwarfs vs Bretts thread, all those Dwarfs forces listed as being gone from the UK site are STILL listed on the US site. I'd get to shopping if I were desperate for anything specific.

PSS: I am unwilling to bet against 40K Radio. They have a 100% accuracy rate, so if they're solid that Dwarfs are next, then I guess it's time to start working on beard-art!

Avian
05-01-2014, 18:58

No, they were several months apart.

Saldiven
05-01-2014, 19:01
No, they were several months apart.

But what release came between them?

Avian
05-01-2014, 19:16
Warriors of Chaos and Tau.

squalie
05-01-2014, 20:17
In the new White Dwarf it mentions Greater Daemon figs for February. Guessing Dwarfs in March?

Ludaman
05-01-2014, 20:31
Well that's awesome! If we don't get a fantasy armybook in February, greater daemons are the next best thing! Does it say which ones? Or are we getting all 4?

Montegue
05-01-2014, 20:32
In the new White Dwarf it mentions Greater Daemon figs for February. Guessing Dwarfs in March?

Son of a...

squalie
05-01-2014, 20:36
False alarm, that was just a pic of Kairos Fateweaver in the "parting shot" picture at the end of the mag.

Lord Dan
05-01-2014, 20:55
"well the next release is a fantasy one, I dont know about Dwarves though".

Just to clarify, "I don't know if Dwarves are the next release" is NOT the same as "Dwarves are not the next release", so the entire premise of this thread is quite a stretch.

Mr. Ultra
05-01-2014, 22:40
I have a friend who has a cousin who know the brother-in-law of a guy that works at GW (as janitor), and he said me that February release will be Fishmen.

Lord Dan
06-01-2014, 00:26
Oh my god guys, seriously you can be a bunch of whiny b*****s sometimes lol. This is a rumour thread. It's for rumours. I heard a rumour. I posted it here.

No, what we're trying to clarify is the fact that what you heard was so non-specific that it doesn't qualify as a rumor. Here's an example of a rumor:

"I heard Dwarves will not be the next Fantasy release."

Here's an example of something that isn't a rumor:

"I don't know whether or not Dwarves will be the next Fantasy release."

Greyshadow
06-01-2014, 00:50
Scoutbike is right. This is a rumours forum. The poster made it clear where his rumour came from. His rumour was that the internet may be wrong on the next release. Rumours of this nature have had some veracity in the past (at three weeks from a release). If we are close to release, the boxes would be printed, the photography done, warehouses filling. It is conceivable that scoutbike's information is correct or contains something useful. Let's ease up on the sarcastic comments.

Additionally, I know in years past an indicator was whether the army suspected of being re-released was absent from the cabinets at Warhammer world. Have Dwarves, Wood Elves, Skaven or Bretonnians been absent from the display shelves for photography? Excited to see what is coming in the next few weeks.

BTJ
06-01-2014, 01:09
False alarm, that was just a pic of Kairos Fateweaver in the "parting shot" picture at the end of the mag.
How does a picture of of an existing special character as the meaningless parting shot become word of Greater Daemons next month? That sounds like something Faeit would consider a source.

Scoutbike is right. This is a rumours forum. The poster made it clear where his rumour came from. His rumour was that the internet may be wrong on the next release. Rumours of this nature have had some veracity in the past (at three weeks from a release). If we are close to release, the boxes would be printed, the photography done, warehouses filling. It is conceivable that scoutbike's information is correct or contains something useful. Let's ease up on the sarcastic comments.
Except that it was a non-answer. 'They might be next, they might not be' can be said of any army, it's not really an appropriate first post IMO

Additionally, I know in years past an indicator was whether the army suspected of being re-released was absent from the cabinets at Warhammer world. Have Dwarves, Wood Elves, Skaven or Bretonnians been absent from the display shelves for photography? Excited to see what is coming in the next few weeks.
I actually don't think that was ever the case. Battle reports, WD photography, web photography and army book/codex photography all kind of combine to make that a non-indicator

Lord Dan
06-01-2014, 01:45
His rumour was that the internet may be wrong on the next release

Which would be totally valid had this been his actual rumor contribution. Instead, he inferred information based on a comment from a staffer who simply said: "I don't know what's up next". In fact these are the kinds of threads which actually make me really mad, because they're the kind which start rumors instead of sharing existing ones.

Brother Haephestus
06-01-2014, 01:47

You can't do this to me! I almost had a heart attack from excess glee!

As to a whole lot of this ... I have to agree with Scoutbike. A lot of the "this isn't a rumor!" is pedantic word-mongering that cheapens the site, this thread, and the individual poster. You can hate me for it, but seriously ...

streetsamurai
06-01-2014, 06:49
forget dwarf, its inquisitor next month :-p

Lord Dan
06-01-2014, 07:41

As to a whole lot of this ... I have to agree with Scoutbike. A lot of the "this isn't a rumor!" is pedantic word-mongering that cheapens the site, this thread, and the individual poster. You can hate me for it, but seriously ...

There's nothing pedantic about the difference between knowing something won't happen and not knowing if something will happen. Advertising one as the other is irresponsible, and leads to false rumor scares.

furrie
06-01-2014, 08:23
It can be posible that the next release won't be dwarfs, but rather a wave month to release some units that hadn't had a model or that get new models, like the greater deamons.

*note*
not a rumour just guess work of what the not dwarfs release could be.

Mr. Ultra
06-01-2014, 11:36
Oh my god guys, seriously you can be a bunch of whiny b*****s sometimes lol.

Who's a whiny b***? I really really super really know that Fishmen are coming, and I am putting a lol at the end of the sentence so this is not an ultra sarcastic and insulting comment but a legit rumour one lol lol!

scoutbike
06-01-2014, 12:03
Exactly the same thing happened when I put up the dark elf release month around spring/summer last year. I put up a rumour, and loads of people complained. Wasnt until harry and/or hastings (cant remember which now) responded with something like "actually I wouldnt disagree with this" that people stopped moaning. And lo and behold they came out when I said anyway.

The rumour of this current thread is as follows:

everyone is saying Dwarves are on the cards for the next fantasy release.
A GW employee I spoke to indicated this may not be the case, whereas he has confirmed the last three major release rumours with me.

That's a rumour. it doesnt need anything more to back it up, it doesnt need someone's signature. This is a rumour thread.

The Oxford English dictionary defines rumour as such:

noun
a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what this is, so stop bitching about it asking for more.

Quetzl
06-01-2014, 13:43

The Dwarfs have been in and out of the glass cabinets for quite a while, I've not been down there recently however about a year ago the only thing left in the cabinet where Slayers, Anvil and Longbeards along side a few arrangement of characters. As for Bretonnians & Wood Elves I've never seen them, 'Going on Campaign' as they call it...

InstantKarma
06-01-2014, 14:28
If your source is just a shop worker, it's not really all that useful. Dwarfs have been Q1 2014 from all common reliable sources for a while now. So, March at the latest. I'm still holding out for Feb.

Since we have no reason to suspect a 2 month release for Nids, and we have no evidence to suggest GW is going to stop alternating months with releases, since Nids are no doubt this month, I would think it makes Dwarfs a no brainer for Feb.

Lord Dan
06-01-2014, 14:56
everyone is saying Dwarves are on the cards for the next fantasy release.
A GW employee I spoke to indicated this may not be the case

If someone were to ask a weather man "Is is going to snow tomorrow?" and he were to say "I don't know", it would be misguided for someone to then go out to say "The weatherman said it might not snow tomorrow." Especially if every other weather station was currently calling for snow... :shifty:

What you're insisting your source meant is not reflected by what you say your source said.

tristessa
06-01-2014, 15:04
Well, I can confirm that you can only order two Dwarf items if you're an independent stockist at the moment - the book and the regiment box. I'd say this strongly suggests that there is a lot of reboxing on the horizon at the very least and that they're running down the current range. It's annoying as we have a customer who'd love to order their Dwarfs through our store but we're having to ask them to be patient as we think that we're going to hear something at the end of this month. GW don't make it easy!

iamjack42
06-01-2014, 15:27
If someone were to ask a weather man "Is is going to snow tomorrow?" and he were to say "I don't know", it would be misguided for someone to then go out to say "The weatherman said it might not snow tomorrow." Especially if every other weather station was currently calling for snow... :shifty:

What you're insisting your source meant is not reflected by what you say your source said.

Every other weatherman isn't saying snow tomorrow though. In this case Harry said that Dwarves are the first fantasy release of which he is aware for 2014, and 40k Radio said Dwarves for March. Everyone assumes Dwarves are in feb, so a rumr saying maybe not is in conflict with prevailing opinion but not with other rumor sources. As a rebuttal to common opinion it has some value.

Felwether
06-01-2014, 15:47
Well, I can confirm that you can only order two Dwarf items if you're an independent stockist at the moment - the book and the regiment box. I'd say this strongly suggests that there is a lot of reboxing on the horizon at the very least and that they're running down the current range. It's annoying as we have a customer who'd love to order their Dwarfs through our store but we're having to ask them to be patient as we think that we're going to hear something at the end of this month. GW don't make it easy!

It is very annoying. I found the same thing with Wood Elves today - Only the book and the Glade Guard are available.

Greyshadow
06-01-2014, 20:29
Scoutbike, don't get too annoyed about the criticism, people who stick their neck out have always been subject to it. I appreciate your information.

Some thoughts for next time. Maybe spend a little more time crafting your initial post. The nature of this forum is that people are going to pick it apart. Anyway, keep your rumours coming!

scoutbike
06-01-2014, 23:11
40k Radio says that there is something coming out in Feb, but they cant remember what it is (and it isnt Dwarves). You can read it on their Facebook page. But essentially their source that talked about the releases for this year couldnt remember February's release.
Maybe it's a fantasy one and perhaps that's what my GW guy was referring to when he didnt seem confident about Dwarves being the next fantasy thing to hit.

By the way, I should clarify for one or two commenters that i never said that Dwarves *werent* coming out, or even in March, just that they may not be the *next* fantasy release.

Lord Dan
07-01-2014, 00:59
I was actually having a conversation with the store owner of my LGS today and mentioned the budding rumor about a pseudo-7th edition of 40K for the summer. His words to me, verbatim, were: "Oh, I hadn't heard anything about that." You can all expect my "Poss not 40K 7th edition in the summer" thread to be forthcoming.

teafloy_the_damned
07-01-2014, 06:53
Its all about how you interpret the OP quotation of the GW staff member. I don't think it came across to "Scoutbike" as straight as it reads in text format
"well the next release is a fantasy one, I dont know about Dwarves though".

I read the last part as if it was said in a disingenuous way rather than a statement of knowledge

Without being there, none of us can say.
If it was a statement of knowledge then Lord Dan is right, this is a pointless thread
If the last part of the statement was said disingenuously with a cheeky smile and a wink, then its a nice little rumor

I read it as the latter and hope its BS as i love my stunties and want a new dam book ASAP!

Spiney Norman
07-01-2014, 08:11
Disagree, Lord Dan hits the nail on the head. Saying (effectively paraphrasing) that he heard from a guy that he DOESN'T KNOW if it will come out is the equivalency of saying it might snow another five inches in the Midwest today. . . it's vague, and possibly true, but it's opinionated conjecture more than anything.

However, if I were to say that: Dwarfs are coming in late February, and are already in the S/P phase, then that would indeed be a rumor or something of note to validate/invalidate and speak of, it's finite, and isn't opinion based.

Except Lord Dan is analysing the words without taking into account the idiom in which they were said. In the UK if someone strokes their chin and says 'Oh I don't know about that' it usually means they do and are giving you a hint in a round about way that you are in fact wrong.

It would be somewhat strange if this person knew of a release for the fantasy system but did not know anything of its content (and if he did know any details of the content, he would know if it was 'dwarfs' or was 'not dwarfs') otherwise how would he know it was for the fantasy system. The very fact that he know it is a fantasy release says to me he knows something, and its pretty clear to me from the way he phrased it that he doesn't think it will be a new dwarf army book.

Of course the whole thing could just be a wind up, but that is the risk you always take when discussing a rumour isn't it?

EffCee
07-01-2014, 08:53
I don't know where scoutbike is from, but where I'm from at least, saying 'I don't know about that' can be a way of disputing something or expressing doubt.

Bugg13
07-01-2014, 09:57
Basically it comes down not so much to what was said, but how it was said. Depending on the way the source said 'I don't know about that' he may have been expressing either an honest lack of knowledge or giving a hint it won't be dwarfs coming next, and ultimately only scoutbike knows that. Personally my response to the whole thing is to stick my fingers in my ears, pretend I never saw this and repeat to myself 'Dwarfs in February, Dwarfs in February, Dwarfs in February...'

scoutbike
07-01-2014, 12:05
Basically it comes down not so much to what was said, but how it was said. Depending on the way the source said 'I don't know about that' he may have been expressing either an honest lack of knowledge or giving a hint it won't be dwarfs coming next, and ultimately only scoutbike knows that. Personally my response to the whole thing is to stick my fingers in my ears, pretend I never saw this and repeat to myself 'Dwarfs in February, Dwarfs in February, Dwarfs in February...'

Exactly. It's how it was said. I wouldnt have put it up as a rumour otherwise. I'm giving an opinion based on context of past conversations and the way he said it in this case.

And it may indeed prove to be wrong, or right. Time will tell.

Spiney Norman
07-01-2014, 12:32
Exactly. It's how it was said. I wouldnt have put it up as a rumour otherwise. I'm giving an opinion based on context of past conversations and the way he said it in this case.

And it may indeed prove to be wrong, or right. Time will tell.

That is the risk you take with all rumours though, regardless of the past record of your source, details could have been garbled or misheard or deliberately miscommunicated at any stage of the info-passing-on process. I'd personally like to thank you for sticking your neck out and posting this to give us something to chew on for the next month, warseer doesn't have the best reputation for how it treats posters bearing rumours, and this thread is no exception.

Barghest
07-01-2014, 14:31
This thread is basically Warseer in all it's glory.

Francis
07-01-2014, 14:32
Want to echo Spiney Norman here and say thank you Scoutbike. Even if the rumour proves to be false you still had every reason to post it here and it does take some courage to do so (I would never have done it unless I actually had seen the feb release, due to the amount of aggression you risk getting thrown at you).

InstantKarma
07-01-2014, 15:50

Usually the word pedantic gets thrown around as a pejorative and often not in the correct sense of the word. But than perhaps I'm just being pedantic:D

SkawtheFalconer
07-01-2014, 16:06
I also echo Spiney Norman and say thank you to ScoutBike for the rumour. If it turns out to be true and its a Wood Elf release I will be delighted. :)

Brother Haephestus
07-01-2014, 16:07
Usually the word pedantic gets thrown around as a pejorative and often not in the correct sense of the word. But than perhaps I'm just being pedantic:D

Good one! High five! yeah, but whiney little ***** was already taken.

Except Lord Dan is analysing the words without taking into account the idiom in which they were said. In the UK if someone strokes their chin and says 'Oh I don't know about that' it usually means they do and are giving you a hint in a round about way that you are in fact wrong.Means the exact same in the States.

InstantKarma
07-01-2014, 17:02
Good one! High five! yeah, but whiney little ***** was already taken.

Means the exact same in the States.

Fair enough:p

Albrecht Hexenjaeger
07-01-2014, 18:37

Pretty much. Maybe my contributions will be modded out as is often the case. Which is why after seven years on this trainwreck, I still have less than fifty posts...but I digress.

Another forum is reporting based on reliable Spanish sources that Dwarfs are in fact, up for February release with multiple plastic kits and no Finecast.

Now you all can go back to arguing semantics mod-free.

scoutbike
07-01-2014, 18:43
Thanks for all the support guys :) Restored my faith a little in the internet, and even Warseer, which takes some doing!! :)

Ghal Maraz
07-01-2014, 19:02
Pretty much. Maybe my contributions will be modded out as is often the case. Which is why after seven years on this trainwreck, I still have less than fifty posts...but I digress.

Another forum is reporting based on reliable Spanish sources that Dwarfs are in fact, up for February release with multiple plastic kits and no Finecast.

Now you all can go back to arguing semantics mod-free.

Could you cite this other forum, please?
I've just found a post in BoLS talking about seven Dwarf boxes spread over two months, with no clampacks, clinging back to some November Spanish rumours.

If these Spanish rumours are the ones I think of, I'm waiting for Avian to dispel the reliability of those Spanish suorces... :-D

If you are instead referring to something else, I would be interested in knowing something more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Avian
07-01-2014, 19:32
Could you cite this other forum, please?
I've just found a post in BoLS talking about seven Dwarf boxes spread over two months, with no clampacks, clinging back to some November Spanish rumours.

If these Spanish rumours are the ones I think of, I'm waiting for Avian to dispel the reliability of those Spanish suorces... :-D
I believe there is a repeat of this guy's October rumours going around again, yeah. Not sure why they are on repeat.

Maelström - Total rumors: (3 TRUE) / (16 FALSE) / (4 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE)

Lord Dan
07-01-2014, 19:38

Actually it's pretty much the sad state of today's rumor mill in all of its glory.

Frostsphere
07-01-2014, 21:56
The Kits:

Plastic Tunneling Vehicle
Plastic infantry heavy armor unit kit (dual-build)
Plastic infantry light armor unit kit (dual-build)

Plastic War Altar
Plastic New VERY large gun/cannon
Plastic Beefier Gyrocopter

Clampack Lord

SteveW
07-01-2014, 22:05
^ any pics yet?

Lars Porsenna
07-01-2014, 22:13
Wondering what dual build means here? Missiles/melee weapons? Or is the "Heavy Armor" guys the long speculated/rumored ironbreakers/Hammerers, and the Light Armor for Warriors/Quarrellers/Thunderers? BTW if the latter is true, expect no more than 10 figures for $35. Making my prediction now!

Damon. :)

Lord Dan
07-01-2014, 22:15
^ any pics yet?

Agreed.

This is similar to the list which as been circulating for a while, which has the Tunneling Vehicle in a combo kit with the Orc Crusher. This one also includes a large cannon/cannon box, and downgrades the "Fleet O' Gyro's" box to a single copter.

Furthermore, the "Heavy Armor" vs. "Light Armor" box is interesting. Might that mean "Gromril Armor" and "Heavy Armor", with the latter being a lighter version of the former? Currently the only units with actual light armor are Thunderers and Quarellers and, while I would welcome a revamp of those guys, I hadn't heard any rumors about a box being forthcoming.

Promethius
07-01-2014, 22:28
There's also no gronti duraz on the list although they may not have made the cut I guess.

popisdead
07-01-2014, 22:57
Warriors of Chaos and Tau.

WoC was before daemons wasn't it?

beerbeard
07-01-2014, 23:03
The Kits:

Plastic War Altar

Clampack Lord

Thanks for this. However, I cannot believe there wont be a new GT/BT kit, a new Flame Cannon, and Slayers. Along with quite a few more HQ's. If the no finecast rumors are true, then a Dwarf army would be unplayble without replacements. Maybe that will be month 2?

As for Scoutbikes rumor, I talk to GW people too. Sometimes they know more than they say, I know the guy I spoke too earlier in the year was spot on when when he said they would be going nuts with digital supplements by this time. He also had Dwarfs in February. We'll know in 18 days, I'll just hold my breath until then.

Kaldanesh
07-01-2014, 23:22

Posts like this make me wish there was a like button.

At least finally we're hearing some rumors about kits. I second the question about the absence/existence of grudge thrower/bolt thrower. Harry had said a heavy armor infantry kit was coming which I and others have speculated will likely be ironbreakers/hammerers kit.

Lord Dan
07-01-2014, 23:24
Thanks for this. However, I cannot believe there wont be a new GT/BT kit, a new Flame Cannon, and Slayers. Along with quite a few more HQ's. If the no finecast rumors are true, then a Dwarf army would be unplayble without replacements. Maybe that will be month 2?
Interesting observations. It would indeed be surprising for GW to allow AoW to supplement the Warhammer Dwarf range with their fantastic plastic kit without responding with a kit of their own. I don't find the idea of the BT/GT remaining metal too surprising, though it would be infuriating if they went on to re-do the cannon box (while dropping the organ gun and adding a bigger gun?) without first doing the BT/GT in plastic.

@allmyownbattles
07-01-2014, 23:52
No, what we're trying to clarify is the fact that what you heard was so non-specific that it doesn't qualify as a rumor. Here's an example of a rumor:

"I heard Dwarves will not be the next Fantasy release."

Here's an example of something that isn't a rumor:

"I don't know whether or not Dwarves will be the next Fantasy release."

I think you're all right...maybe. There is a tonne of whiny 'that's not a rumour' individuals on here but there's also a tonne of made up waffle masquerading as rumours.

The reality is, this site is just a load of kids who haven't grown up (me included) who get over excited from time to time, get all grouchy that they haven't got their new toys yet and end up arguing.

Very few threads seem to actually end in productive discussion. They either go round in circles, end in tears or get shut down by the thread Nazis for being 'off topic'. When did anyone last have an interesting discussion/debate with a friend that stayed 'on topic'? Let the conversation meander I say. After all, we're primarily here for a chat.

And if one more person mentions 'salt'. Aaaarrrggh! It's like those people who, when asked if they want sugar in their tea, reply 'No thanks, I'm sweet enough!' like it's the funniest thing in the known universe. Stop it. Stop it now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Darnok
08-01-2014, 00:20
Six plastic boxes plus a clampack? Unless this is a DE sized release (i.e. spread over two months), that will not happen.

Now add the "BUT...": weirder things have happened. Personally, I don't buy that rumour. But I would like it to be true.

Lord Dan
08-01-2014, 01:18
Personally, I don't buy that rumour.

I'm in the same camp. For the me "Big cannon + cannon" kit seems redundant and out of place.

forseer of fates
08-01-2014, 02:41
As long as dwarf artillery and dispelling get run over by the nerf truck then ill be happy

beerbeard
08-01-2014, 02:46
As long as dwarf artillery and dispelling get run over by the nerf truck then ill be happy

Right, because Dwarf armies are just unbeatable. All those tournament wins, and getting a friendly game with them is impossible because everyone hates to be table wiped.

Oh, wait.

Your sig gives you away. L2P

Lord Dan
08-01-2014, 03:06

Dwarven artillery could use a boost in points or a reduction in efficiency, however they really need the dispelling power to compensate for the fact that they have no way to buff their units at all. In other words, while other armies can counter powerful spells by casting powerful spells of their own in response, Dwarves can only stop them from happening in the first place.

forseer of fates
08-01-2014, 03:08
Well I would settle for them being brought into line with 8th edition

Grey Seer Kwokka
08-01-2014, 03:12
The Kits:

Plastic War Altar

Clampack Lord

Smells of cold reading. All of these things could be reasonably guessed based upon existing rumours (true, false or otherwise to be) or the existing released content.

forseer of fates
08-01-2014, 03:16
Tunnelling vehicle just sounds odd

Lord Dan
08-01-2014, 03:45
Tunnelling vehicle just sounds odd

I agree, though it would be epic if it granted a regular Dwarf unit a miner-like entrance to the field. Like Hammerers. Or more Hammerers.

forseer of fates
08-01-2014, 03:48
well that depends doesn't it, if its just a big model that's expensive to make a unit ambush that makes it pretty worthless.

Lord Dan
08-01-2014, 04:03
Not if it also has the statline of a Land Raider. Think of it: the first in a line of Warhammer Fantasy troop transports! :p

forseer of fates
08-01-2014, 04:12
land raider wouldn't do so well in fantasy, cannons and all:P

teafloy_the_damned
08-01-2014, 06:54
A tunneling machine?

God i hope not, i mean, Dwarfs don't just go around drilling new tunnels hap-hazardously, there not Skaven.
Dwarf tunnels are carefully planned, lovingly crafted works of art, lined with mirror finished granite

The engineers guild would be grumbling in their tankards at the very thought thought

I can imagine the play-testing being complicated for Dwarfs, especially with the rune system and new war machines. So you almost expect a delay in their planned release date
Ive waited this long for a new book, another few months wont kill me. The day will come where my opponent wont groan when i pop my dwarfs on the table.

I think the bigger debate here is, will they be Dwarfs or Dwarves?

Autumn Leaves
08-01-2014, 07:14
When have GW let something paltry like play testing get in the way of releasing models?

I hope it is Dwarves on he release schedule next up for Fantasy, not just because i like Dwarves but also because I think a big tunnelling machine would be cool.
Secondly and more importantly, Dwarves are a good seller in the market place and if Fantasy is to get above the 8% revenue it brings in for GW and move away from the kind of turn over you would expect for a specialist game then it needs a solid banker at the till point for the next release.
Summer is coming !
Thats kind of like George RR Martin writing the Winter is Coming for Game of Thrones.
Summer is bad business for GW so they need a banker now for Fantasy before the summer comes back.
Hope the figures are spectacular.
On both counts ;-)

Lord Dan
08-01-2014, 07:26
I think the bigger debate here is, will they be Dwarfs or Dwarves?

I know your question was likely rhetorical, however hasn't it always been Dwarfs in the Warhammer world? While both words can be used interchangeably in English, I'm pretty sure "dwarves" was Tolkein's invention.

lybban
08-01-2014, 09:31
Ahhhh there is that 8% again! Still no backing of the source for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Kingly
08-01-2014, 10:06
Ahhhh there is that 8% again! Still no backing of the source for that?
Don't forget the jibe at playtesting either :rolleyes:, you think they'd get bored.

I'd like to see them a little weaker Vs magic, and epand on their movement somehow, and let's not rule out Monstrous Bear Cav! :D (Joke!!!!!)

Roshan
08-01-2014, 11:43

I dont know why you always have a Bee in your bonnet about anything that remotley challenges anything you play.........
Dwarfs are an outdated 6th book, which have very few special rules, They pay for their good artillery, A Grudge thrower for example, with the correct Runes is almost 50% more in cost than an almost equivelant Trebuchet with less wounds.
they pay 50% more to reroll scatter dice, not the missfire.
Cannons, while underpriced now, wern't, they only used to do D3 wounds, it was 8th that boosted dwarf cannons, not really the dwarfs fault.
Dwarfs have limited choice, limited movement, no magic and are generally overpriced compared to the latest books hitting the shelf.

Yet people only look at the short sighted view, they pay for shutting down the magic, because if they couldnt do that, then lets face it there would be no point to them.
I cant wait for the new book and the new rules that each unit will get, if there anything like Dark Elves, then they may be a force to fear.

Roshan
08-01-2014, 11:48
Don't forget the jibe at playtesting either :rolleyes:, you think they'd get bored.

I'd like to see them a little weaker Vs magic, and epand on their movement somehow, and let's not rule out Monstrous Bear Cav! :D (Joke!!!!!)

This is slight ignorace too, Where poeple spend 200 - 300 points on a wizard, dwarfs have to spend the same to stop said wizard. Dwarfs only get +2 to dispel, anthing else you need to pay for
The only difference is that you still have a chance to get spells off with the wizard.
Personally, Dwarfs should be the best dispel army in the game, they were created by the old ones as being magic resistant.....my god, imagine an army wide MR(1) or (2).....muwahaha

Artinam
08-01-2014, 11:49
Trebuchet might not be good comparison material though, I mean its seen as the only undercosted and more or less overpowered no-brainer choice for the Bretonnians.

Its better to compare to a rocklobber or something (which is even a rare choice).

zoggin-eck
08-01-2014, 11:58
I agree that a tunneling machine sounds a bit lazy for Dwarfs, but it could be a fun kit.

I know your question was likely rhetorical, however hasn't it always been Dwarfs in the Warhammer world? While both words can be used interchangeably in English, I'm pretty sure "dwarves" was Tolkein's invention.

Yeah. I doubt GW will ever change it from Dwarfs. Must be hell for the editors, along with Orc/Ork.

Oh, and something about 8% (and hilarious "GW have editors?!" comment).

Darnok
08-01-2014, 12:03
A friendly reminder for everybody: if you want to discuss the shortcomings of the current Dwarf armybook, please do so in WHF General. It is not the topic of this thread.

Darnok [=I=]

SkawtheFalconer
08-01-2014, 15:47
I agree that a tunneling machine sounds a bit lazy for Dwarfs, but it could be a fun kit.

Maybe they will use it to get to Kharak Technodrome?

Montegue
08-01-2014, 16:01
Long past rumors (please don't ask me fore exactly who) have said that the GW team were attempting to alter the Dwarf play style to be more aggressive, noting that their original intentions of gunline and rugged close combat was seen as less fun.

Troop transports or more ways to bring your guys in and get them there sooner? I wouldn't be shocked at all. Giant drill machine? Would be cool, fluffy, and fun. And hopefully serve as some sort of impact-hit causing chariot model after it surfaces and drops off it's boys. Slayers in a Rhino...erm...drill! :)

If the rumor of a bigger, badder Gyro are true (And I hope they are), we may get ourselves a Flying Monstrous Creature that can actually lay down some hurt. That would be amazing, but I hope it doesn't render my current Gyro unusable. Then again, my current gyro is finecast, and it's rotars are droopy from the Texas heat.

Voss
08-01-2014, 16:13
Personally, Dwarfs should be the best dispel army in the game, they were created by the old ones as being magic resistant.....my god, imagine an army wide MR(1) or (2).....muwahaha
I hope they wouldn't have to pay for that. The MR rules are awful, and do nothing at all against the spells that matter (buffs, debuffs and nukes).
If they want to give dwarves magic defense in the next book, the need to give extra dice or a bigger dispel bonus, not MR. A poor ward save against fireballs is worthless.

Montegue
08-01-2014, 16:15
ARGH! Why does every single rumor thread about dwarfs descend into wish listing and speculation and discussion about the current book. GO TO GENERAL. Please. I beg of you. Darnok has had to close a half dozen of these and this one's actually got some cheddar to it.

JWH
08-01-2014, 16:16
The Kits:

Plastic War Altar

Clampack Lord

Without questioning the legitimacy and credibility of this rumour or wishlisting, as I don't collect dwarfs myself, there are some things that strike me as odd.

1. I was lead to believe that dwarfs, bretonnia and WE were taking this long to come out in 8th not only due to their smaller fanbase, but also due to the difficulty in redesigning the rules for these armies to make them more well-rounded and more in line with 8th edition. However, nothing in this rumored release reflects that in any way. As dwarfs were supposed to get some more aggresive elements, I find it very hard to imagine that they will get Another cannon, especially since the models for the artillery they've got now are horrendous, most notably the grudge thrower and bolt thrower.

2. I find it bordering on the impossible for GW not to make new slayer models, especially since they are pressed hard by Avatar's superb and affordable kit.

3. Why would dwarfs get an altar? The only altars I know of that dwarfs use are those of Grimnir and valaya, which only seem to be used before or after the battle, not during. If I am correct, the dwarf ancestors are revered and venerated, but not really worshiped in the sence that people of the empire worship Sigmar? The Dwarfs already have the anvil; do they really need another altar? (On a more personal note: am I the only one getting a bit tired with GW's obsession of giving altars to almost every army...?)

4. Only one new character? There must be some omissions surely. Plastic slayer characters? Plastic runesmiths? Currently they have but three special character models, of which one (Bugman) is ancient. I suspect they will revive old favorites like Ungrim and Kazador.

Bugg13
08-01-2014, 17:40
On the subject of there being no new slayers mentioned there, it could be that the light armour kit is referring to slayers. After all, they've been strongly rumoured as being redone in a dual-build kit and they're pretty much the definition of lightly armoured!

Fle
08-01-2014, 18:01
On the subject of there being no new slayers mentioned there, it could be that the light armour kit is referring to slayers. After all, they've been strongly rumoured as being redone in a dual-build kit and they're pretty much the definition of lightly armoured!

Yes that's what I thought too. I know some folks disagree, but I myself don't believe that the current warriors/rangers/thunderers need re-doing actually. This light armour kit could be Slayers and something new.

Targ Ironfist
08-01-2014, 18:16

I think they were Dwarves in fourth edition, but am not completely sure about that. (I had the book, but is gone with the most of my old collection).

Anyone has the fourth edition book at hand to prove me right or wrong?

As about the new release, the GW will be forced by Avatars to produce some realy good stuff. Also as dwarfs were rumoured a time or two before, with some not so unsubstantial rumours going around, it is possible simply many more models were made for them as there has been much more time to do them.

Montegue: That is the reason I have bought zilch cr.pcast. I think You were the one to post the cr.pcast gyro photo on Bugmans, weren´t You?

With regards

Lord Dan
08-01-2014, 19:12
I think they were Dwarves in fourth edition, but am not completely sure about that. (I had the book, but is gone with the most of my old collection).

You mean this book?

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/forumfiles/4th-edition-dwarf-army-book.jpg

If so, then no. ;)

Ludaman
08-01-2014, 19:16
Lord Dan, you've won the thread :) lol

Pariah-Miniatures
08-01-2014, 20:16
It would be shame if gw passed up the opportunity to do a really nice release for Bret's 10 year anniversary next month since their last book. But this is gw...

Ludaman
08-01-2014, 20:30
It's probably much better not to remind people of that anniversary...

It's like highlighting "hey this is not one of the armies that we support regularly"

Pariah-Miniatures
08-01-2014, 21:25
I don't think it's much of a reminder, the red is all over that army. If its not know by new people it should be evident I. How dated their rules are.

I'm sti hoping for Bret's and woodies before dwarfs, but hey whfb needs another army with silly machines

BigbyWolf
08-01-2014, 21:40

Nah, that's the Wastes.:yes:

Zinch
09-01-2014, 00:16
You mean this book?

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/forumfiles/4th-edition-dwarf-army-book.jpg

If so, then no. ;)

I think this is the 5th edition book. I began with 5th edition and this was the current book... I don't know if it was from 4th edition through...

I'm sti hoping for Bret's and woodies before dwarfs, but hey whfb needs another army with silly machines

Or, you know, release a neww dwarf army so you don't so so much silly machines... (I play woodies, but Dwarfs need a lot more a new book)

Lord Dan
09-01-2014, 01:03
I think this is the 5th edition book. I began with 5th edition and this was the current book... I don't know if it was from 4th edition through...

Actually, I'm now quite certain it's the 4th. Here's a picture of the last 3 Dwarf books, in order. I know the one on the right is 6th and the one in the middle is 5th, which would mean two were released in 5th or the one on the left is 4th:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MOh76jD0erg/ToVdvyNduAI/AAAAAAAAAgE/GKTf4D_2Zu0/s1600/Dwarf%2BArmy%2BBook%2BHistory.jpg

SteveW
09-01-2014, 01:18
Actually, I'm now quite certain it's the 4th. Here's a picture of the last 3 Dwarf books, in order. I know the one on the right is 6th and the one in the middle is 5th, which would mean two were released in 5th or the one on the left is 4th:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MOh76jD0erg/ToVdvyNduAI/AAAAAAAAAgE/GKTf4D_2Zu0/s1600/Dwarf%2BArmy%2BBook%2BHistory.jpg

Looks like 5th, 6th, and 6th to me.

Edit: It's 5th, 6th original, and 6th revised.

Lord Dan
09-01-2014, 02:00
Looks like 5th, 6th, and 6th to me.

Edit: It's 5th, 6th original, and 6th revised.

It turns out we're both wrong.

It's 4th, 6th, and 6th. There was never a standalone 5th edition Dwarf army book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Army_Book

Ludaman
09-01-2014, 02:02
That's correct on the 6th and 6th, although the other might be from 4th and used through 5th. If not I've never seen the 4th book.

Ninja'd

SteveW
09-01-2014, 02:03

It's 4th, 6th, and 6th. There was never a standalone 5th edition Dwarf army book:

Imagine that, I put it at 5th just due to looking like my Bret and lizardmen books from then. Thanks for the correction.

Targ Ironfist
09-01-2014, 08:29
You mean this book?

If so, then no. ;)

Exactly this book, thanks for correcting me.

Zinch
09-01-2014, 10:44

Oh my! That means that I have all the dwarfs army books that have existed, EVER! :p

zoggin-eck
09-01-2014, 12:46
Anyone has the fourth edition book at hand to prove me right or wrong?

As has been said, it was written as "Dwarfs", as it was in 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions too.

Dargon
10-01-2014, 00:06
Imagine that, I put it at 5th just due to looking like my Bret and lizardmen books from then. Thanks for the correction.
The 4th Edition Dwarf book was carried through 5th Edition, but was actually reprinted by GW during 5th Edition.
The 5th Edition version was basically the exact same book, with the same cover, same rules, but replaced a Battle for Karak-8-Peaks scenario with more colour pictures of newer models (like those from Grudge of Drong), and a few sample army lists.

SteveW
10-01-2014, 04:24
To get the thread back on topic. Next month is the 10 year anniversary of the Bretonnia army book. Games workshop has taken almost all the non plastic Brets off their webstore, and my local dealer said he couldn't get me a replacement book in his next order and I'd have to order it myself. All of that after a GW CSR told me brets were not forgotten and I would be happily surprised in a few months(last november).

Please let Bretonnia be next!

Lord Dan
10-01-2014, 05:01
Please let Bretonnia be next!
This would be awesome.

Games workshop has taken almost all the non plastic Brets off their webstore
You lose me here. The only things I see missing are a handful of heroes and the trebuchet. Are you looking at the US store?

Pariah-Miniatures
10-01-2014, 05:54
I'm just hoping there are some foot knights, and that their monster cav (if they get one) isn't some etherial green knight unit, let that character be unique. What would be nice is some sort of mobile shrine/ relic and perhaps it "Raiders" the enemies (melts faces). Either way the signs are strong pointing that we may be getting the Brett's soon!

Lord Dan
10-01-2014, 06:27
I'm just hoping there are some foot knights
They really need some diversity, it's true. Dismounted Questing knights be cool and characterful, albeit a bit similar to Empire Greatswords in functionality and armament. Perhaps plain ol' dismounted Knights ("Unhorsed Knights"?) with heavy armor, shield, and a halberd?

and that their monster cav (if they get one) isn't some etherial green knight unit
DEMI-HIPPOS!

Pariah-Miniatures
10-01-2014, 10:38
lol yes more riding of giant half birds. That or maybe they could include some elemental things, don't recall that in their fluff but they need some diversity. Not looking forward to the idea of another race that is all into building tech, like the empire. Let the dwarves at least be jewel coveting bearded mountain dwellers that have a fondness for carving swirls into rocks. Ps I wish the dwarves get done last!

SteveW
10-01-2014, 14:17
This would be awesome.

You lose me here. The only things I see missing are a handful of heroes and the trebuchet. Are you looking at the US store?

The trebs and 5 man box of grail knights are gone from rare. All the questing knight singles except QK2 and the trio of peg knights are gone from special. All but the damsel and special characters are gone from lords and heroes. That is a line up ready to be re-released.

When you look at Dwarfs on the other hand, everything is still there.

I'm thinking Brets could get snuck in for a 10 year anniversary launch.

logan054
10-01-2014, 14:36

UK store has nothing in the rare, Peg knight and mounted Yeomen, 3 plastic core, 3 special characters, pack of two damsels, that it, No generic heroes/lords (bar the pack of two mentioned), next to nothing in the special section that isn't plastic, nothing in rare, might want to clear your cache I think.

Lord Dan
10-01-2014, 15:42
The US store has many of the things you're missing, logan, but is indeed missing the items Steve just listed. We still have Questing knights, Grail Pilgrims, Grail Knight singles, King Louen, Green Knight, Damsel, etc.

logan054
10-01-2014, 16:00
The US store has many of the things you're missing, logan, but is indeed missing the items Steve just listed. We still have Questing knights, Grail Pilgrims, Grail Knight singles, King Louen, Green Knight, Damsel, etc.

And? it's a UK company, it seems logically to assume that once those models are out of stock in America they will not be replaced, I was under the impression that the models are produced in the UK and not America, as such, it would seem that no more of thoe models have been produced. The Uk site did have the grail pilgrims, grail knight singles and questing knights, they are now gone, not just unavailable but completely gone.

Lord Dan
10-01-2014, 16:05
And? it's a UK company, it seems logically to assume that once those models are out of stock in America they will not be replaced, I was under the impression that the models are produced in the UK and not America, as such, it would seem that no more of thoe models have been produced. The Uk site did have the grail pilgrims, grail knight singles and questing knights, they are now gone, not just unavailable but completely gone.

No need to get testy. I was just making an observation, not trying to disprove your theory about Bretonnians being next in line. Frankly I would prefer it if you were right.

logan054
10-01-2014, 17:01
Sorry, bit grumpy today. I don't care eiher way, would be nice to see those cannons rebalanced and repriced along with the rune systems.

za91848
10-01-2014, 20:24

Looks like dwarfs has been the standard spelling for a long time with dwarves gaining popularity after Tolkien but someone beat him to it:

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=dwarfs%2C+dwarves&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cdwarfs%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cdwarv es%3B%2Cc0

lordfeint
12-01-2014, 18:09
Since I play both Brets and Dwarfs, I'm down for a release of either. A new Treb model and plastic QK/GKs?!?!?! Yes Please.

Methios
12-01-2014, 20:22
Harry confirmed that dwarfs are next.

Pariah-Miniatures
12-01-2014, 21:14
I'm in denial. And I hate dwarfs. Scumbags.