PDA

View Full Version : Hobbit trolls as WHF giants?

Darnok
05-01-2014, 08:14
I have been thinking about using the Hobbit trolls as giants in WHF a bit. I'm interested in more opinions on it.

They might actually work. Of course you would have a different type of giant - a bit smaller, but more massive than the scraggy giants WHF currently has - but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The Hobbit trolls are definitely big enough to count as a giant. The question remains wether you want three of them, and in another visual style.

Maybe anybody actually has done this, or knows somebody who did, and can share some... pixplz?

Cuchulain84
05-01-2014, 09:49
I'm not sure they are big enough. I don't think they are much bigger than an ogre.

MasterSplinter
05-01-2014, 10:32
Depends in what army you will play, for me. I guess if you go for a troll heavy woc army bigger trolls would be fitting as proxys for giants. Althoug for me personally it would be hard to look at because i always would have the hobbit in the back of my mind. Maybe heavily converted?
As for an opponent, just go for what you like to.

Warrior of Naggaroth
05-01-2014, 11:05
I happen to have access to both The hobbit trolls and a giant. They are similiar sice, the main difference is that the giant has about three times longer legs and therefore becomes much taller. Still, I think that you can easily put the trolls(at least the two biggest of them) on 50x75 bases without it looking wierd.

Darnok
05-01-2014, 11:14
You would do me a great favour if you could do a few pictures of the giant and the trolls, perhaps with a few other "common" models for scale (infantry, cavalry, maybe some other monsters or war machines). It'd be appreciated a lot. :)

Griefbringer
05-01-2014, 17:19
I'm not sure they are big enough. I don't think they are much bigger than an ogre.

Perhaps you could have one troll standing on the shoulders of another troll for the extra height? Since they are plastic, this might actually be feasible. And there is a sort of fluff explanation for this, with 3rd edition siege supplement mentioning a famous giant gymnastic team that could form their version of human pyramid to reach high places (like over very high castle walls). Perhaps these are junior giants that are trying to emulate such behaviour?

Or maybe a troll walking on stilts? That would be a bit trickier to convert.

Darnok
05-01-2014, 17:59
Perhaps you could have one troll standing on the shoulders of another troll for the extra height? Since they are plastic, this might actually be feasible. And there is a sort of fluff explanation for this, with 3rd edition siege supplement mentioning a famous giant gymnastic team that could form their version of human pyramid to reach high places (like over very high castle walls). Perhaps these are junior giants that are trying to emulate such behaviour?

Or maybe a troll walking on stilts? That would be a bit trickier to convert.

You are of course free to disagree, but to me all of this seems pretty silly. :D

I was thinking about using them "as is", with some weapon swaps. The legs could be a little bit longer, but that is easily done. Concerning the background: I had thought about explaining them as some degenerated form of giants, living among the hillgraves of the Badlands. They would be to a normale giant, what a ghoul is to a normal human. That could use some houserules too - I'd love to field them as special units (to actually use all three in one game). But that would need some rethinking of their rules and points.

Thorin
05-01-2014, 18:05
Indeed I think Bert, Bill and Tom might be very well used as "small", highly inbred and dimb-witted giants. They're even cheaper than buying multiple giants ;)

Spider-pope
05-01-2014, 18:12
On the one hand, they aren't as tall as the current giant. But on the other, they aren't much smaller than his metal predecessor, and are certainly big enough to match the fallen giant template. Personally i wouldn't have a problem with it.

Brother Haephestus
05-01-2014, 18:26
You're in luck! I have both (and was working on the trolls when I read this. Here are some shots with "man-sized" infantry, cav, my daemons, the giant, a river troll, an ogre bull, and the three Hobbit trolls. I do not have an LOTR troll however.

I think they would be okay as plays-as for home games. I do play either with or against giants a bit and for me they're a bit small and don't feel 'giant-ish' at all, but at the same time I wouldn't sneer at you for playing them!

Darnok
05-01-2014, 18:42
Awesome, thank you so much!

I think they would work as "ghoul giants". They are still reasonably bigger than (WHF) trolls and ogres, and their mass is about the same as the normal giant. Some conversions are needed in my opinion, and I'd like to have some custom background and rule. But it would work for me.

Now back to contemplating wether I actually want them enough to buy them... :shifty:

Brother Haephestus
05-01-2014, 18:54
One of the things you could do for height is add some "false heels" to the bases by building them up! Those arms are just begging to be filled with boulders, so standing up on some cliff face, ripping pieces off and throwing them would be a perfect conversion! Anyways, best of luck and glad to be of assistance! :D

Verm1s
05-01-2014, 20:08
Wot Spider-Pope said, especially after looking at Haephestus' photos.

If they really, have to, must be a bit taller, it shouldn't be very difficult to saw through thighs and/or shins, glue in some spacers of styrene card or sprue or summat, and fill in the gaps. I did it with some WH ogres, once upon a time.

Darnok
05-01-2014, 20:30
If they really, have to, must be a bit taller, it shouldn't be very difficult to saw through thighs and/or shins, glue in some spacers of styrene card or sprue or summat, and fill in the gaps.

Just what I had in mind. The Hobbit trolls have weird proportions: their arms are too long, heir legs are too short. Lenghtening the legs abit helps with that, and als makes them a bit larger, adding to the "giant factor".

Skywave
05-01-2014, 21:05
Size-wise they look to be good enough judging from Haephestus's photos. They seems to be like the 6th edition metal Giant, and that's good enough for a Giant to me. You don't need them to be as tall as the plastic one. Just like humans, it's perfectly fine to have them in various sizes.

Personally I don't like the style of the Hobbit Trolls, the faces are too different and not quite in Warhammer style (though they look a bit like the Skull pass Troll). But maybe a regular Giant head could fit on them? Or even some Ogres head maybe. But other than that, they looks like great models, and with another weapon than a spoon, they could be great!

And for once, I'm not shocked at the asking price when you consider what you get!