PDA

View Full Version : Does this pass the WYSIWYG test?

RagingHobo
05-01-2014, 15:57
I want to use this inquisitor as a Dark Apostle with the burning brand. I'm confident my friends would allow it but would it pass the WYSIWYG test for say a tournament? He kind of has a power bra and a little back pack, is it enough to claim a 3+ armour save?

http://i.imgur.com/m5Emfp7.jpg

superdupermatt
05-01-2014, 16:30
Power bra? :P

I personally don't see anything wrong with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

D-FLINCH
05-01-2014, 16:36
I can see a 4+ easily. A 3+ may be pushing it but I don't think it would bother anyone. Go for it, I think it looks awesome.

Griefbringer
05-01-2014, 16:42
As far as I can tell, it does not look obviously power armour-ish.

That said, it is a honking great looking figure, and I would not have any particular problem with treating it as power armoured in a game.

Makaber
05-01-2014, 16:53
I wouldn't have a problem with him because you can't really mistake him for anything else in the army. I'd be a bit sceptical if you tried to claim he had a Terminator armour or something, though.

SimaoSegunda
05-01-2014, 17:27
I don't think it does, tbh. If I came up against that in a tournament, I don't think I'd be too pleased. Great model, don't get me wrong, but for me clearly not a dark apostle. Sorry.

Slayer-Fan123
05-01-2014, 17:33
It wouldn't pass in a tournament, but I'd be fine with it myself. I'm definitely only seeing a 4+ armor if I were to just look at him though.

Rasclomalum
05-01-2014, 17:40
Awesome model, awesome take on the Burning Brand, I would allow it personally, tournaments is an entirely different matter however. What might grind some people's gears is that he's holding a sword instead of a maul, for instance.

frikandel speciaal
05-01-2014, 18:28
No problem what so ever. Giving him a maul or Crozius would be nice though.(but still, no problem for me if you won't do that).

Lord Damocles
05-01-2014, 18:45
Well it's clearly not WYSIWYG - because it's quite clearly an Inquisitor not a Chaos Space Marine. He's also quite clearly armed with a Power Sword and Inferno Pistol not an Accursed Crozius/Power Maul and Flamer type thingy.

You might get away with the Inferno Pistol as the Brand (since it's quite flamey), and you might get away with the armour save (because exactly what it takes to get what sort of save is often pretty arbitrary).

Still looks like a sword-wielding Inquisitor though.

Spiney Norman
05-01-2014, 18:52
I want to use this inquisitor as a Dark Apostle with the burning brand. I'm confident my friends would allow it but would it pass the WYSIWYG test for say a tournament? He kind of has a power bra and a little back pack, is it enough to claim a 3+ armour save?

http://i.imgur.com/m5Emfp7.jpg

Well that model originally represented a profile wearing power armour as standard (3rd edition Witch hunter lord) so yes, no problems there, the gun is spouting flames, so it arguably looks more like a burning brand than it does an inferno pistol (cross reference with the Canoness' inferno pistol which just looks like a mini-meltagun and you'll see what I mean), so the only sticking point really is the power sword, but you could convert that away to a crozius no?

chris2146
05-01-2014, 18:55
it will all depend on if the tournament accept proxies, as the model is clearly an ordo hereticus inquisitor wearing carapace armour the tournament may say no.

Hengist
05-01-2014, 19:22
As a playing piece, so long as you made clear what he represented, I wouldn't be in the least bothered were I your opponent.

Given that he is pretty obviously an Inquisitor and not wearing power armour, however, I would advise on wholly aesthetic grounds against setting out to use him as a Chaplain in a Chaos Marine army, particularly given how easily and cheaply you could convert a nice one from readily available plastics/FW bits.

MEDEVL
06-01-2014, 00:05
The fact that you even have to ask this is sad. The fact that there are people telling you it won't work is even more sad.

I think it would be fine and I would have absolutely ZERO problem with it in a game.

ehlijen
06-01-2014, 00:49
It would depend on the tournament, I'd say. In almost all cases you should be fine, but if is a strict wysigyw tournament, you could run into problems with trying to represent a marine (S/T 4) with a human (S/T less). Escpially if you put him with other humans (cultists) where it might not be immediately obvious from the other side of the table that one of them is meant to actually be a marine.

That's strict wysiwyg environments, though, which are getting rarer by the day.

Mikial
06-01-2014, 00:57
No problems from me. I like the idea of people showing some creativity, within reason of course.

I don't know about the tournament question, though. Some folks at tournies really get their knickers in a twist over things. I suggest a little conversion to have him holding a power maul, since that's what he's supposed to be armed with.

Voss
06-01-2014, 01:21
The fact that you even have to ask this is sad. The fact that there are people telling you it won't work is even more sad.

I think it would be fine and I would have absolutely ZERO problem with it in a game.

Well, since the question is specifically about WYSIWYG... yeah, I can easily see people saying no. An Inquisitor with a sword doesn't look like a Chaos Space Marine Apostle with a power maul.
The chosen champion with the maul and holding his helmet (out of the DV box) makes for a much more convincing apostle.
In this case What You See is completely different from What You Get.

No problems from me. I like the idea of people showing some creativity, within reason of course.
Creativity is, of course, amazing. But there isn't any creativity here. This is a completely unmodified Inquisitor being plunked down as a CSM character.
The conversions in the squad work quite well as cultists, but no comparable work was done on the inquisitor. The symbol of the freaking inquisition is still on the front of the hat.

RagingHobo
06-01-2014, 02:37
I don't want to come out and say that he is a space marine. I just feel a dark apostle would beat represent a fallen inquisitor.

The cultists are actually my IG penal legion, I'm just trying to think of a different way to use some Allies.

I didn't realize that they had to be equipped with a power maul though. I may just paint up the model from the DV box.

Harwammer
06-01-2014, 07:25
I wouldn't have a problem with him because you can't really mistake him for anything else in the army. I'd be a bit sceptical if you tried to claim he had a Terminator armour or something, though.

tbh if I didn't read the thread I would have thought it were a cultist with flamer.

Feedback: The model needs a weapon swap for his right hand to a bolt pistol or power maul. Exposed leather armour should be repainted as metal or damaged ceramite. The model should be given a power armour backpack to reinforce the idea that the armour is indeed power armour, even if it is a particularly light weight version mostly hidden by robes. It might be hard, but the model needs bulkier shoulder pads for that power armour silhouette. Finally the base needs to be built up a bit to make the model taller.

TLDR: It's a great model that will fit in well with the cultists but needs some more work for me to believe it is a passable counts as rather than a proxy. I hope this comment is taken as the constructive criticism it is intended to be.

Edit: oh and the ]I[ symbol on the inquisitor hat probably needs alteration/removal.

Edit2: don't feel disheartened, I think the model will be a recognisable counts as with just a little more work! If you want to represent a fallen inquisitor you probably don't even need to remove the ]I[.

Spiney Norman
06-01-2014, 11:58
As a playing piece, so long as you made clear what he represented, I wouldn't be in the least bothered were I your opponent.

Given that he is pretty obviously an Inquisitor and not wearing power armour, however, I would advise on wholly aesthetic grounds against setting out to use him as a Chaplain in a Chaos Marine army, particularly given how easily and cheaply you could convert a nice one from readily available plastics/FW bits.

The amount of armour required to grant a given save is something of a changeable concept edition to edition and figure to figure though, would you say? In 3rd edition sisters Repentia had a 4+ AS despite wearing nothing other than a fairly revealing loincloth, and this very model had a 3+, even more amusingly the Gideon Lorr special character also had a 3+ AS despite one of the few differences between this model and his being the removal of the armoured chest plate and he was basically just wearing a cloth tunic.

Felwether
06-01-2014, 12:02
The amount of armour required to grant a given save is something of a changeable concept edition to edition and figure to figure though, would you say? In 3rd edition sisters Repentia had a 4+ AS despite wearing nothing other than a fairly revealing loincloth, and this very model had a 3+, even more amusingly the Gideon Lorr special character also had a 3+ AS despite one of the few differences between this model and his being the removal of the armoured chest plate and he was basically just wearing a cloth tunic.

Agreed. This guy's 3+ save could even be explained away as some kind of exotic forcefield.

jackers
06-01-2014, 12:49
it is a cool looking model, and I would have absolutely no issue with you fielding it.
However, it is clearly not WYSIWYG, as it is very obviously an Inquisitor with a sword, not a Dark Apostle with power maul.