PDA

View Full Version : Black Templar Marshal Lazarus

razza
09-06-2006, 18:13
Hi all!
This is another commission figure to go along side the emperors champion i posted not long ago,
The fig has been converted slightly with the removal of the hair to fit in with the sword brethren,a nasty scar, green stuff chains and lantern, purity seals made into crusade seals, a plastic shield and helbrechts top ornament to finish off.

this figure had gaming in mind with the orb at the back of the cloth (wargear) and the storm bolter having a mastercrafted look to it.

I enjoyed painting this fig with all the freehand on the cloth and shoulder pad but now my eyes are going to explode!:)

all comments are welcome! cheers!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0002.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0005.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0008.jpg

plasmadaemon
09-06-2006, 18:17
Woah, very neat and tidy black, very cool. I love the tiny freehand on the red cloth, and the microscopic aquila on the head (How on earth did you paint that, btw?)

The only thing, I think, is letting this mini down a little is the gold metal, it doesn't look up to par with the rest of the model.

EDIT: Here's a question- how do you blend, do you use wet-blending technique or just glazes after glazes after glazes?

kermit
09-06-2006, 18:24
That is VERY nice!

I love it. It gives me some motivation to some very special work on my BT army.

Thank you for sharing!

McMullet
09-06-2006, 18:24
Yeah, the gold lets it down a bit. I mean, the gold on the standard top thing is no more than 30 billion times better than I could do it, whereas the bone effect on the right greave is more like, say, 80 billion times better. *resentment* :cries:

The highlighting on the gold needs to be smoother, as it is it just looks too stark by comparison to the rest of the model.

Great model though!

dave3555
09-06-2006, 18:32
Very nicely done. I really like the freehand patterning on the white pad and icon plate. I agree that in the pics the metals seem a little 'harsh' with the highlights - though its probably the exposure on the pic, cos metallics are always really hard to photograph.

Dave

razza
09-06-2006, 18:59
in my defence the gold has come out very harsh in the pics, it is better in real life. (promise!):)

Inquisitor Claissen
09-06-2006, 19:50
It's simply perfect...I love the white! tutorial? :-(

no-use4a-name
09-06-2006, 19:59
That is one AWESOME paint job!

I can't see anything wrong with it, perfection.

One question, mind sharing the technique on the tatoo? I've never seen one that looks that real, meaning faded, and that small.

Now, do a whole army to support him. And, make sure all the figs are to that standard. :p

The Judge
09-06-2006, 20:27
Wow, the purple is excellent. Wow.

Inquisitor lorr
09-06-2006, 20:43
Wow thats just incredible......have you got any armies,like all painted to your 'eavy metal standard cos that would be awesome.

noneedforaname
09-06-2006, 20:56
another inspirational piece from razza but soon the pupil will exceed the master Mwuhahahahahaha!! Probably not reallly.

Leminy_Fresch
10-06-2006, 05:23
Wow, the cloth detailing is stunning. I really like the sword too, it has a very cosmic feel to it.
Keep it up man, you have talent.

jansenm
10-06-2006, 05:58
you can win a trophy with that

Serpent
10-06-2006, 06:05
Oh dear Lord. That is an amazing model. The tiny, tiny embroideries on the cloth (they're there, right, my eyes didn't make them up?), the tattoo (took me a long time to even find it), the sword, the Storm Bolter freehand, the skin, the sword (again)...

I'm stunned and in awe. :eek: How do you do this, and how long does it take?

Serpent

Bloodthirster90
10-06-2006, 08:32
you can win a trophy with that

I'd go so far as to say he could win a sword with that thing! (i am of course talking about the GD slayer sword)

The boyz
10-06-2006, 16:48
Wow he looks fantastic Razza. I really like the conversion work, especiialy the scar going down his face, and the paint job is superb. I love the freehand on his robe. The highlighting on the black and gold areas looks great. My favourite part though has to be his power sword that looks awesome, I love the purple marble/mirrored effect it has, looks superb.

razza
10-06-2006, 18:24
Thanks for all the kind comments!:)
here is how i i painted the parts a few have asked about.

The sword-
*basecoat of regal blue
*mix in warlock purple to this
*then use warlock on its own
*mix in spacewolves grey to the warlock purple
*shade the dark areas with thinned chaos black
*use spacewolves grey for a thin highlight on the edges
*finally give the sword a purple glaze

the trick is to keep the paint very thin and blend the layers up then shade down. the glaze then helps to make the colours stronger and blend the colours even more.

The tatoo was a regal blue and turquoise glaze mix.

The white-
*basecoat spacewolves grey
*add the swirls with thin skull white
*wash the whole area with very thin white.

thanks again!

Tonberry
10-06-2006, 18:33
I envy you....

Scorpio
10-06-2006, 19:36
That is a very good model. I especially like the sword. It is the first time I have seen a purple power sword but it looks really cool.

-Scorpio

HPD_Andy
10-06-2006, 21:20
Awsome stuff and thanks for the tutorial.

Pertinax
10-06-2006, 21:27
How do you do the swirly patterns in the cloth? I've seen the patterning before, and it always amazes me. If you could talk me though it, that would be great.

noneedforaname
10-06-2006, 21:38
the way i have done it is to have a basecoat very close to white. on this apply swirly freehand designs in pure white. this is then knocked back and blended into the base colour by thinning the white so it is about the consistency of skimmed milk and washing over the detail are.

razza however probably has a more refined way of doing this.