PDA

View Full Version : Should SM orbital bombardment be a "D" weapon?

Diogenes
05-01-2014, 23:24
Just like the title. Should fleet born artillery be a D weapon? Battle fleet weaponry is much more powerful than anything found on a Titan. If not rules wise, how 'bout fluff wise?

IcedAnimals
06-01-2014, 01:59
There shouldn't even BE a str D weapon. The number chart is fine as just that. A number chart.

Camman1984
06-01-2014, 10:19
Definately the wrong forum.

Fluff wise though the bombardment cannons on a space marine vessel are massive guns capable of blowing a 5 mile long cruiser apart. In game our tiny little battlefield would be decimated in a single shot. I personally dony see the point in us having it at all.

Vhalyar
06-01-2014, 10:28
I think Tyranid Devourers should be D weapons because they start with the letter D.

The Marshel
06-01-2014, 10:35
Yes, but only if I am playing Marines

but seriously, I don't think marines really need the bombardment to begin with. It was just to differentiate the captain and chapter master in the 5th ed book (because otherwise they were the same profile). the new book does a better job making them different, so no need to the bombardment anymore

Spiney Norman
06-01-2014, 10:46
I think Tyranid Devourers should be D weapons because they start with the letter D.

Likewise, surely Eldar D-scythes should be strength D shouldn't they, they are "D" weapons by definition...
D weapons should not exist in 40k at all, not on a Titan, not on a battleship, not in the game.

Also, this is not a rumour wtf?

OuroborosTriumphant
06-01-2014, 12:02
I assume it's something like a point-defence laser rather than the ship's main cannon (because, as mentioned above, that'd likely make the whole battlefield a burning scar on the world's surface, brimming with lava), so I don't see any need to make it Str D.

MajorWesJanson
06-01-2014, 14:51
Absolutely Not. And Destroyer Weapons as they are are a terrible kludge of rules that makes the tiny turbolaser just as destructive as the massive volcano cannon or gargantuan plasma annihilator.
Destroyer should be a weapon special rule with a scale: Destroyer (X). Every model hit that would take an unsaved wound or hullpoint takes an additional X wounds or hull points. Rolls on the vehicle damage chart add X to the total. Cover saves and Invul saves are reduced by X.

Also, this should be in General or Rules development.

Vhalyar
06-01-2014, 16:41
Likewise, surely Eldar D-scythes should be strength D shouldn't they, they are "D" weapons by definition...
D weapons should not exist in 40k at all, not on a Titan, not on a battleship, not in the game.

Also, this is not a rumour wtf?

Well Tyrannofexes, Biovores, Pyrovorores and Exocrines should also have D weapons because Dong Cannons.

csm
06-01-2014, 17:15
To answer the OP's question, fluff wise it would make sense for it to be a D-weapon.

Rules wise, I am pretty sure everyone hates D-weapons, which is why you got many emotional responses.

minionboy
06-01-2014, 17:39
To answer the OP's question, fluff wise it would make sense for it to be a D-weapon.

Rules wise, I am pretty sure everyone hates D-weapons, which is why you got many emotional responses.

Exactly this.

A Orbital Bombardment is coming from a space ship, firing a gun powerful enough to blast holes in other space ships (which in 40k terms is quite big). There is no way in hell that terrestrial vehicles should even stand a chance or survival.

T10
06-01-2014, 18:54
There shouldn't even BE a str D weapon.

Right on.

-T10

Lord Damocles
06-01-2014, 18:58
Remember the days when Barrage Bombs were S6?

Those were the days.

insectum7
06-01-2014, 21:36
Barrage Bombs. . . was that a Strategy Card?

itcamefromthedeep
06-01-2014, 23:07
I love this thread to bits.

---

A Space Marine orbital bombardment can be Strength D if you like, but agree with your opponent before the game. It's your game, not Games Workshop's.

Perhaps you should give your opponent a Strength D upgrade somewhere in the list, to make sure things don't get lame.

Rolsheen
06-01-2014, 23:29
A orbital bombardment is str D when its fired, but then it has to pass though space, the ionosphere, the atmosphere so when it reaches the target it should only be str 4.

AngryAngel
06-01-2014, 23:51
They've let the genie out of the bottle with escalation, its just like making the atomic bomb, nothing, will ever be the same. I have become death, the destroyer of worlds. That is all of us now.

MadmanMSU
07-01-2014, 13:44
Yes, the Orbital Bombardment should be a D weapon.

Because **** balance, who needs that, right? GW sure doesn't give a damn about it.

Fire Raptor
07-01-2014, 15:10
I'd hate to see you guys reading a cookery book. "I hate hate hate cake with strawberry jam, why does it have to be made with strawberry jam? Each year you come out with a new book and put something else in it, ruining it even more. All I wanted was a Chocolate Cake, and now because you've released a new cookery book I HAVE to play it that way. I mean everyone I eat with HATES strawberry jam, and we all prefer chocolate cake, so why did you change it? Because now we MUST use strawberry jam, instead of sitting down and asking if the people who are eating the cake would prefer Strawberry or Chocolate cake."

Seriously, replace Strawberry with "Strength D", Chocolate with "Strength 10", cookery book with "Rulebook" and eating references to "playing 40K".

Seriously, if you hate it that much, then gentlemens agreement it away.

superdupermatt
07-01-2014, 23:56
I'm renaming all my space marine weapons to Dolters. Dassault cannons. Demolisher cannon - oh hey that already works!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

insectum7
08-01-2014, 02:22
A Orbital Bombardment is coming from a space ship, firing a gun powerful enough to blast holes in other space ships (which in 40k terms is quite big). There is no way in hell that terrestrial vehicles should even stand a chance or survival.

No no no, THOSE weapons you don't want to be firing in close proximity to your own troops a.k.a., a 40K table.

rocdocta
08-01-2014, 05:23
Just like the title. Should fleet born artillery be a D weapon? Battle fleet weaponry is much more powerful than anything found on a Titan. If not rules wise, how 'bout fluff wise?

Yes it should be, Then it would be banned with all the other Escalation rules at tournaments.

Losing Command
08-01-2014, 10:36
It sounds a lot more sane for a battlebarge to fire something like artillery from space rather than hivecity leveling, planet-crust penetrating ordance into a battle where the chapter master is also mukking about.

Spiney Norman
08-01-2014, 10:54
It sounds a lot more sane for a battlebarge to fire something like artillery from space rather than hivecity leveling, planet-crust penetrating ordance into a battle where the chapter master is also mukking about.

Indeed, I can't think that even the most optimistic chapter master would order his fleet to drop a cyclonic torpedo or equivalent anywhere within a couple of hundred yards of his current location can you?

Sotek
08-01-2014, 12:04
Absolutely Not. And Destroyer Weapons as they are are a terrible kludge of rules that makes the tiny turbolaser just as destructive as the massive volcano cannon or gargantuan plasma annihilator.
Destroyer should be a weapon special rule with a scale: Destroyer (X). Every model hit that would take an unsaved wound or hullpoint takes an additional X wounds or hull points. Rolls on the vehicle damage chart add X to the total. Cover saves and Invul saves are reduced by X.

Also, this should be in General or Rules development.

That sounds like a good idea actually...

JOBusse
09-01-2014, 12:47
Indeed, I can't think that even the most optimistic chapter master would order his fleet to drop a cyclonic torpedo or equivalent anywhere within a couple of hundred yards of his current location can you?

No, but quite possibly an extremely pessimistic one might.

"This planet is lost, and if we fail to act now the sector may be lost with it. Fire Torpedoes on my location."

gLOBS
09-01-2014, 14:22
Generally speaking with Imperial low orbital bombardment hitting within 1 km of target is considered a bulls-eye. With that said each ship torpedo or gun has generally 1 km diameter explosion.

It would be more practical to use a ships teleportarium to send a crate of demolisher shells next to the enemy with a short timer. Thats what I would call using a scalpel.