PDA

View Full Version : Games Workshop Prices

Smooth Boy
06-01-2014, 06:50
The most surprising thing for me in the new Tyranid release has got to be the price reductions, basic troops got cheaper as well as that box set for 105 which contains 95 models. Nearly 1 a model is pretty damn reasonable for G.W., so what does everyone think? Its early days but the Space Marine large box sets also had a pretty good saving, could G.W. be throwing us a bone? Or is it just an attempt to kick start the new release?

Dkoz
06-01-2014, 09:52
I do hope there are some price drops it would be nice to see just a $5 to $10 drop on C:SM troops, and I really do love the digital codex but paying the same price for them as for a hard cover codex is painful. I do love the extras the digital codex comes with but I wish the were like $10 to $20 cheaper.

warlordbob
06-01-2014, 10:41
I'd guess its just going to be these hoard units that get the drop, and large sets, the price-makers must understand how insane the start up costs are, and that Nid box is an army set, with the Fex built as Old One-Eye at least. I doubt Ork or Guard infantry will get any cheaper, but maybe a Platoon set will feature significant decreases to help new starters, and a Green Tide may work if we get a plastic Boss or Mek set of some kind.

zam2
06-01-2014, 11:01
Perhaps GW are reaching a plateau where they know just how much people are willing to pay for toy soldiers? For a company so blindingly focused on short term profit gain it's really hard to fathom why they do anything anymore.

Abaraxas
06-01-2014, 11:37
Indeed.

I've never really understood the constant updating or rules and minis, I would have liked the chance to get around to collecting everything in the 80s and 90s-yet it goes OOP and we dance the merry dance.

warriorpoet1
06-01-2014, 12:19
Perhaps GW are reaching a plateau where they know just how much people are willing to pay for toy soldiers? For a company so blindingly focused on short term profit gain it's really hard to fathom why they do anything anymore.

One can only hope, right?

hobojebus
06-01-2014, 13:12
Perhaps it's the change in management, maybe they've noticed a dip in sales and realised 300 for a start in the hobby is ridiculous.

There was a time I'd buy something every week, 10 here or there and I'd get value for money, now that won't even buy me a plastic char.

In 2005 when my local store in stoke decided to give us vet gamers the finger and focus on new kids I stopped spending alot on gw, it stopped being a hobby and became just a business and that's when the rot set in.

If this is a turn around I welcome it but I'm gonna wait and see.

nedius
06-01-2014, 15:39
It's a pretty clever move, to be honest. And a very good saving too. I figure it as being 158 sold seperately.

105 is a big amount of money, but you save 54. That's almost too good to ignore. I figure that collection will be a top seller. I'm tempted and I don't need any of them! GW have finally got the idea of 'offers'. Why they aren't shouting the huge saving from the rooftops is beyond me.

People will spend 105 on that set who otherwise would have spent 54 on two boxes of gants and gaunts. GW are up 51 for the cost of two free boxes of gaunts. How much is that going to cost them? Pittance, I imagine. Seriously, just caught myself wanting to buy it again. AND I DON'T NEED ANY OF IT! Sheesh. Must stop writing about this before I go order it...

09philj
06-01-2014, 16:24
Tyranids infantry is cheaper because the models much more similar to each other.

techsoldaten
06-01-2014, 17:43
The other way of looking at it could be that GW knows the Tyranid Codex is weak and they want to make up for it with budget gamers.

Just a thought.

ObiWayneKenobi
06-01-2014, 17:57
IMO the question will be how many points that gives you. IIRC the swarm has 40 Termagants and 40 Hormagaunts, so if you can have squads of 20 (with that being effective) then you just got 4x Troops choices, plus the Gargoyles and the Carnifex (Fast Attack and Heavy Support?). That's pretty darn good for the price considering that the Space Marine Strike force was $225 for like 39 models (although it gave you a bit more of a complete force).

Wintermute
06-01-2014, 19:41
We already have a thread to discuss GW Prices which can be found here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?209297-Games-Workshop-Pricing-Feedback-Thread). We don't need another one.

Thread Closed.

Wintermute