PDA

View Full Version : How do you paint Horus Heresy Iron Warriors?

Grand Master Azrael
06-01-2014, 09:08
I was just wondering how you would paint Heresy era Iron Warriors.:chrome:

Commotionpotion
06-01-2014, 09:27
Iron ;)

Joking aside, they're about the only traitor legion whose pre and post heresy colours are the same. Heavily burnished silver (not bright) with a few black plates for contrast especially where their emblem is featured, equally burnished gold trim and detailing and hazard stripe decorations :)

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk

hobojebus
06-01-2014, 13:22
I would not go silver, I'd go iron breaker with a nuln wash and light highlighting, and bronze edging with a dark brown wash then highlight with gold.

They spend their time in trenches they should not look too clean to my mind.

How you weather them I'm not sure as there is no paint to be chipped, muddy greaves maybe?

ObiWayneKenobi
06-01-2014, 17:49
I'd say (generic colors): Dark iron color, deep gold (probably more of a brass-looking color) trim, hazard marks of course. Wash the legs with brown/black ink to make it look dirty and unkempt, possibly make weaponry with a bit of rust/wear. I would say that cloth (cloaks and the like) should probably be like a scarlet color, maybe painted to look very faded.

They should look look battle-scarred like they've been in the trenches for a long time.

agurus1
06-01-2014, 19:25
yeah I usually go Iron Breaker w/ bronze edging, and then do a nuln wash over everything. Then highlight with the same colors, then make chipps and stuff with Necron Compound or whatever its called... the super silver paint. Black on the shoulder pad with the Legion emblem, and normally either cheverons on the right shoulder pad or black with squad markings. Hazard stripes on bolters and chainswords to taste, otherwise black with the aforementioned metallics.

Grand Master Azrael
06-01-2014, 22:05
What paints would you use for the yellow parts of the hazard marks?

Commotionpotion
07-01-2014, 00:10
What paints would you use for the yellow parts of the hazard marks?

With yellow generally tending to be a rather weak pigment most of the time, I'd recommend you paint in the light parts of the hazard stripes in bone rather than flat white first - it brings out the yellow as a richer shade with less need for multiple coats.

agurus1
07-01-2014, 03:27
with me I usually go from darker to lighter, so a coat of brown first, and then yellow over it.

Col. Dash
07-01-2014, 03:36
Same as 40k but with more safety striping and caution tape and less spikes. Everything would be more OSHA compliant preheresy when they actually care about inspectors.