PDA

View Full Version : the artillery school of nuln

corps
07-01-2014, 00:00
I was reading the empire book and the hearldry empire book and i thought about to represent it. Not much as a list for an army than as an iconic representation of the artillery school in nuln p (30 of the heraldy book). of course army, list can be included.
so there is what i find to be iconic of it.

Lord: none not even a named one. sad.

heroes: master engineer.

core:hangunner

special pistoleer/ outriders/great canon/ mortar

rare: hellblaster / hellstorm/ steam tank

So the rare and special are all well covered but the core and heores are very poor with only one choice each. Howto fix that? how do you imagine to represent an army from the school of Nuln? I m thinking if the old rule for using giant with empire were still in use to have one like the city of midenhem have a giant to load the giant gun of the city as described in tempest of chaos.

but the rest?

empire general with : handgun and pistol ?
sorcerer lords of the metal lore ?

i m lacking idea for the core.

Smithpod68
07-01-2014, 02:21
There use to be an Artillery Train of Nuln list in the 6th ed Empire book. Back when they did the appendix lists. (VC had a list that let them use the Brettonian Lance Formation). If you could find that ,it would help. If not you could go spearmen and pass them off as gunners in training using their ramrods as spears to practice defending the cannons.

Smooth Boy
07-01-2014, 03:25
I think its in the 7th edition Empire book that Nuln's described as having a strong propensity towards halberdiers to defend the city and the cannons. I cant imagine any Empire army could be made entirely of ranged units, don't state troops also act as city guard? Forgeworld also makes Ironsides and Countess Emmanuelle’s champion. Failing that when I get round to it, I always wanted to convert a steam tank with Emmanuelle's head sticking out the hatch for my Nuln army.

Baluc
07-01-2014, 07:28
If you want more information on the Army of Nuln look in Throne of Chaos from forgeworld, goes into quite some detail. Basically it comes down to the following.

Halberdiers w/ Handgunner detachments

Knights -> can be extrapolated to include Pistoliers and Outriders which are a recruiting ground of the various Knight Orders.

Guns

The Elector Count of Nuln is Emanuelle Von Leibwitz who is actually the count of Wissenland but makes her abode in Nuln. Keep in mind that Nuln is just one city and not a province.

corps
07-01-2014, 09:45
Thanks for he answers. Yes having a good knowledge of the fluff and having tarmurkan i know that Nuln is a city state. That make me think that i could those nit from tamurkan. I love the landship. Hallberds and Knight coul be here to represent the necessary muscle.

Tuttivillus
07-01-2014, 22:15
Nuln, huh? My favourite.

Lords: Metal wizard lord (city is rich and it is a metal lore :) ), General of the Empire for the infantry will be nice. He does not have to be expensive.
Heroes: Jakub Falk from Tamurkhan campaign is a prime choice IMO. He comes with handgunners with heavy armour. He is awesome. Other engineers. Warrior priests for the melee infantry although You might get one into bigger unit of Falks heavy gunners for combat bonus and flaming shots. Wizard. BSB.
Core: Melee unit with combat detachments. (someone has to defend those precious cannons), Big handgunner unit with Jakub Falk and Warrior priest (big like 14-20 big with full command) with archers detachments (5 each).
Special: Pistoliers, Outriders, Reiksguard knights (small units pinning down big hordes or protecting flanks), Cannons
Rare: Hellblaster, Hurricanium and/or Luminarc, Steam Tank.

corps
08-01-2014, 09:10
i tought of rank of cheap spearmen to protect the canon.

laribold
08-01-2014, 09:52
i tought of rank of cheap spearmen to protect the canon.

Isn't Nuln renowned for its pikemen?
In fact, see here for more discussions on it: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=26566.0.

So in game, have them as spears( but model them with extra long ones)

corps
08-01-2014, 11:39
strange return to the pike. I was a DoW players before the empire. i took the empire because it was the closest to the DoW. i think i will display a mechnaical horse even i don't use as such because the rules are so bad.

Tigranius
08-01-2014, 11:47
try to use spearmen or swordsmen and see if you have some spare pistols or handguns to use on them .
hat way you can stay in the theme and use core units.

GL!

mostlyharmless
08-01-2014, 16:56
Thanks for he answers. Yes having a good knowledge of the fluff and having tarmurkan i know that Nuln is a city state. That make me think that i could those nit from tamurkan. I love the landship. Hallberds and Knight coul be here to represent the necessary muscle.

The landship is a Marienburger contraption. It has no place in the armies of Nuln.

From a fluff perspective, it is entirely acceptable for an army from Nuln to have not only a large contingent of pike (spears) and halberds, but also a contingent of Greatswords, as they are the traditional bodyguard of elector counts. Nuln is also home to a chapter house of the Knights Griffon, an order founded by Magnus the Pious, a native of Nuln. It is also the location of two arch-lector's of Sigmar, as well as a temple to Verena, so it is appropriate to have Knights of the Everlasting Light there as well.

While it is home to the gunnery school, it is not the same as the Engineers' College in Altdorf. It would be inappropriate to have a steam tank, or some of the more wild engineering contraptions. The engineers and gunners of Nuln are a bit more practical.

corps
08-01-2014, 19:00
The landship is a Marienburger contraption. It has no place in the armies of Nuln.

I know that except that it has been bought by Nuln. So in fact you are wrong not me. well, i take note about the greatsword and the knight order. thanks.

Tuttivillus
08-01-2014, 23:03
I know that except that it has been bought by Nuln. So in fact you are wrong not me. well, i take note about the greatsword and the knight order. thanks.

No, it was made in Nuln for Marienburghers. They wanted a Steamtank, but they got a steamboat. :D

mostlyharmless
08-01-2014, 23:19
No, it was made in Nuln for Marienburghers. They wanted a Steamtank, but they got a steamboat. :D

Big wheel keep on turnin'. Proud Mary keep on burnin'!

Apologies. I couldn't help myself.

corps
09-01-2014, 00:21
correct paragraph 2 p 155 ligne 13 to the last one. third paragraph ten were ordered by marienburg. fourth paragraph, three were complted and a forth was on the way. And... the countess Emmanuelle, ask for their use in the defence of Nuln. wich was accepte dby marienburg for a price. p156 it s a rare choice for the empire and in this case for Nuln. p90/91 on the left two landship (one intact/ one burning) are visible at the battle for the city of Nuln.
So i made a confusion about who did ordered it and who build it but was i sure is that the countess used them. clearly it has his place with a Nuln list. i didn't understood the jokes. must be something cultural.

mostlyharmless
09-01-2014, 16:32
It's from a song, "Proud Mary". It's about a steamboat on the Mississippi River, a common sight back in the day. The "big wheel" is the large paddle-wheel at the stern of the craft, powered by steam. The Marienburg landship has massive wheels at the stern, so it reminds me of a classic steamboat.

corps
09-01-2014, 18:30
oh okay thanks for the answer.