PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the current tournament scene

Azulthar
07-01-2014, 11:20
- All I know is that Tau & Eldar are dominating, but why? What lists/units make them so powerful? Tau are crushing our local (casual) scene as well, but that's just because they're the shootiest. With tournaments it's usually something more specific, right?

- Daemons apparently do pretty good thanks to something called the "Screamerstar". A whole bunch of Tzeentch daemons with the Grimoire? Are they competitive outside of this tactic?

- Necrons and Marines are hanging in there. What allows them to play near the big boys? What finally broke the Necron reign?

But perhaps most importantly: what's the general trend? Firepower, mobility, flyers, invulnerable saves? Thanks in advance for any answers :D

lantzkev
07-01-2014, 11:30
I still crush anyone I play... or have a good match. I just see alot less grey knights and alot more tau... could be proportions are the perception not the reality of strength.

Necrons are still just as strong.

Spiney Norman
07-01-2014, 11:39
- All I know is that Tau & Eldar are dominating, but why? What lists/units make them so powerful? Tau are crushing our local (casual) scene as well, but that's just because they're the shootiest. With tournaments it's usually something more specific, right?

Simple, broken unit entries, the wave serpent is flat out too good for its cost, mainly due to the ridiculous serpent shield, them both tau and Eldar have access to what is probably the most effective unit type in the game right now high-resilience MCs with high quality, long range shooting.

- Daemons apparently do pretty good thanks to something called the "Screamerstar". A whole bunch of Tzeentch daemons with the Grimoire? Are they competitive outside of this tactic?

No real frame of reference, the screamerstar is a gimmicky list based on a unit with a rerollable 2++ which makes it virtually unkillable, I don't actually see daemons in 40k very often so I'll refrain from commenting further on this.

- Necrons and Marines are hanging in there. What allows them to play near the big boys? What finally broke the Necron reign?
They're both solid books, Necrons did well for a while since they had access to a pair of extremely effective, spammable flyers when most other armies had few to no anti-air options, now most armies do have flexible AA solutions the scythe matters less and less. That said Necrons still have the tools to compete strongly, they have a degree of control over night fight which helps a short range shooty army no end, they also have access to cheap, shooty A13 vehicles and arguably the most efficient anti-vehicle solutions in the game.

But perhaps most importantly: what's the general trend? Firepower, mobility, flyers, invulnerable saves? Thanks in advance for any answers :D

All four of those things are important (though sub-A12 flyers are fast becoming an irrelevance) as well as general resilience (which is the main reason why flyers are strong), any unit that combines 2-3 of those factors makes a strong choice ingame, good examples would be the wraithknight, riptide and helldrake.

Azulthar
07-01-2014, 11:54
Simple, broken unit entries, the wave serpent is flat out too good for its cost, mainly due to the ridiculous serpent shield, them both tau and Eldar have access to what is probably the most effective unit type in the game right now high-resilience MCs with high quality, long range shooting.
So a typical Tau / Eldar tournament list consists of spamming said MCs and the Wave Serpent? I heard Farseers on jetbikes were very popular as well. Apparently, access to the Divination psychic discipline accounts for a lot of tournament 'power'.

Spiney Norman
07-01-2014, 12:11
So a typical Tau / Eldar tournament list consists of spamming said MCs and the Wave Serpent? I heard Farseers on jetbikes were very popular as well. Apparently, access to the Divination psychic discipline accounts for a lot of tournament 'power'.

True, if your Tournement allows allies then there is a dirty combo you can do by joining Baron Sathonyx to a Jetbike seer council and casting fortune on it (another way of getting the rerollable 2++ by putting the baron out front to catch all the bullets). Divination can also be quite powerful, really as a means to make your high strength shooting even more reliable (prescience).

IcedCrow
07-01-2014, 14:03
Another reason they do so well at tournaments is that it seems 90 - 95% of tournaments have no form of line of sight blocking terrain at all and there are usually only 4-5 pieces of terrain on a table in general that cover about 10-15% of the table at most, giving a shooty army a great advantage. The other things mentioned above boost that as well.

I still crush anyone I play... or have a good match. I just see alot less grey knights and alot more tau... could be proportions are the perception not the reality of strength.

Once the wound shenanigans went out the window with the new edition, I saw grey knights' numbers plummet.

The propensity for tables with little terrain, no line of sight blocking, the boosts to shooting via overwatch, etc have all moved the power game to shooting dominated lists.

MadmanMSU
07-01-2014, 14:04
It really depends on the tournament. My local tournament is allowing Escalation, so I stopped showing up.

But prior to that, the power lists were (in no particular order): Tyranids Tervigon spam, Daemons Flying Circus, Necron Wraithwing, Necron Air, and Taudar.

Chumbalaya
07-01-2014, 14:44
Tourney 40k today is pretty much anachronistic combo-hammer. Find the most durable, killy units out there and add allies/psykers/wargear to make them OTT. Screamerstar is an entire army revolving around a full unit of Screamers and Heralds with a 2++ rerollable, Seer Council is Baron and Fortune giving a 2+ rerollable (armor, invul and cover actually), TauTau features Farsight, O'vesa, Commander Batman and another Riptide all attached at the hip. Top armies focus all their points into nigh-unkillable super units that faceroll their opponents.