PDA

View Full Version : Ok to use Space Marine Tacticals for Chaos?

Gradek
07-01-2014, 17:46
I was wondering if anyone would have a problem if I used the Space Marine tactical squad for the Chaos one (in terms of models, not rules). Everything would still be wysiwyg, but with less horns. I think the new space marine tactical squad looks far cooler and while I would likely add a couple of chaosy items to the unit (a few horned heads and likely an icon), it wouldn't be so over the top.

IcedCrow
07-01-2014, 17:49
You can use plastic my little ponies if you want.

There is no reason to stop one from using tactical marines for chaos especially since some chaos marines are recently turned renegades.

Navar
07-01-2014, 17:52
I think this sounds like a great idea. Especially if you get the paint job right.

For the record I don't know if I would enjoy playing versus Plastic Ponies though.

Bad monkey
07-01-2014, 17:53
The kits are totally interchangeable to allow this. It's why I like my power armour.

So long as your opponent knows what they are.

And I reckon we should petition for an army of plastic ponies.

MajorWesJanson
07-01-2014, 17:57
The kits are totally interchangeable to allow this. It's why I like my power armour.

So long as your opponent knows what they are.

And I reckon we should petition for an army of plastic ponies.

You mean Bretonnia?

Grndhog89
07-01-2014, 18:04
Fine by me. Although shaving the aquilas off the armor would be cool/realistic to me. I highly doubt those renegades would want to keep the aquila on for very long after having turned against that authority it represents....

Harwammer
07-01-2014, 22:04
How many space marines are you planning on making? If it is several squads worth it is probably worth grabbing a box chaos marines for some 'spikey' bits.

That said, you don't NEED the bits to give tactical marines a chaos look. Cut the tips of the knives off and use those bladed points on knees/shoulder pads to make the armour more baroque. File of imperial symbols from the bolt gun. If that is too much work daub red crosses across the icons when painting to show the marines defacing their old imperial heraldry.

Paint jobs are an important part of identifying marines; free hand your chaos icons, especially the eight pointed star, to various surfaces to make the affinity of these marines clear.

If you are using GW mail order it will be worthwhile investing in a few CSM backpacks from the bits section. It is the backpacks that really give CSMs their silhouette. If you don't want to spend the money then convert the SM backpack vents to be on stalks.

Here are a few CSMs I've recently made for my renegade blood angels:

They represent what were assault marines on foot. It's largely hand swaps, backpack swaps, a couple of chest swaps and some CSM loin cloths.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/1/7/571771_md-chaos%20space%20marines.jpg

MusingWarboss
08-01-2014, 17:18
I'd have thought it would be fine - they are marines after all! Not everything has to be chaos spiky! As other have suggested, simple de-imperial-ing (?) the kits and adding a few other bits is an easy way to do it. Perhaps if you're not bothered about being totally GW you could invest in some alternative heads or backpacks or an odd shoulder pad? Just to mix it up. Of course it'll be you'd paint job and chapter logos that really cements the theme for you!

Voss
08-01-2014, 18:03
I was wondering if anyone would have a problem if I used the Space Marine tactical squad for the Chaos one (in terms of models, not rules). Everything would still be wysiwyg, but with less horns. I think the new space marine tactical squad looks far cooler and while I would likely add a couple of chaosy items to the unit (a few horned heads and likely an icon), it wouldn't be so over the top.

With some minor iconography changes and appropriate painted symbols, it could look very good indeed. Very appropriate for Alpha Legion and any war bands that include marines that have embraced chaos post-heresy. Or just CSM that scavenge equipment from their fallen foes. Personally I've mixed several of the older kits together. I usually use the current chaos backpacks, and I'm careful about which front chest pieces I use, and shave aquilias off bolters, but I find the diversity of equipment and armor types helps contribute to the feel of a force that doesn't have a galaxy-wide bureaucracy supporting them.

Griefbringer
08-01-2014, 18:51
You can use plastic my little ponies if you want.

I think they would be better used for count-as bikers than for ordinary marines on foot. Would be easier to attach them to bases, too.

Or maybe for seekers of Slaanesh.

ObiWayneKenobi
08-01-2014, 18:58
That shouldn't be any issue at all. There are more recent chapters/groups that have fallen to Chaos (look at all the new ones they added in the 6th edition codex. Crimson Slaughter, The Plague, etc. all of those guys) and they wouldn't have the 10,000 years ago baroque look to them, but would basically look like Loyalist marines still. I agree with defacing/cutting the Imperium iconography to make it clear, in fact maybe do a rough/messy job of like cutting up the aquila so it's kind of there but all scratched up or half gone so it really looks like they're just defacing their old icons. Maybe make the armor and equipment a little more dingy/dirty as well, for a muted effect whereas many loyalists have cleaner and brighter looks.

Grand Master Azrael
08-01-2014, 21:38
I thought My Little Ponies were copyrighted material?

Grand Master Azrael
08-01-2014, 21:40
I thought My Little Ponies were copyrighted material and so GW could not do rules. if they could they should be called Space Ponies.

Bad monkey
08-01-2014, 21:52
I thought My Little Ponies were copyrighted material and so GW could not do rules. if they could they should be called Space Ponies.

Just call them pretty little ponies and your jammin.

Makaber
08-01-2014, 21:54
As people has said, make them renegades. That said, in my book, you don't even have to do anything to the Imperial icons. Maybe your chapter has fallen to Chaos, yet don't know it themselves. They're misguided. There are plenty of examples of this, running from the Thousand Sons up to the Relictors.

Hengist
08-01-2014, 22:54
As everybody else has said, go for it. Wanting to get away from the horns-and-baroque look to make my Black Legion look more like Forge World's depictions of the them, I've mixed Vanilla, Chaos and Space Wolf plastics, and used Forge World Mk IV and V heads. Kitbashing is a brilliantly simple way to make your army unique and individual; it's something to be encouraged, not feared.

Rowenstin
09-01-2014, 11:05
IMHO the only rules are:

-It should look cool
-When in the table, it must be clear what is what.

budman
09-01-2014, 11:21
I do as part of the rebel warband I use they are all painted to look non-codex but as minis they are Tactical Space Marines

TheBearminator
09-01-2014, 19:14
Go ahead! I actually had the same idea for my upcoming chaos army. Most likely I'll never get started on them but if I do I'd like to convert them from regular Marines.

T10
09-01-2014, 21:41
I'm making a stand and saying that it's not ok.

I will allow you to mix in loyalist bits to tone down the theme, but you'll have to use chaos bits too, at least for the core model.

-T10

Grand Master Azrael
10-01-2014, 01:40
I'm making a stand and saying that it's not ok.

I will allow you to mix in loyalist bits to tone down the theme, but you'll have to use chaos bits too, at least for the core model.

-T10

Why so narrow minded? It's fine If people want to use loyalist kits to make Traitors, as they once were loyal. I actually think it's a pretty cool idea. It is ok.

Gig
10-01-2014, 03:28
In the 3.5 codex it shows you how to use tactical as red corsairs, by painting a red X over all the imperial iconography, it shows a Space Wolf, a Dark Angel and a squad of Crimson Fists as examples.

So it is perfectly legitimate to use tactical as Chaos marines, it be a nice touch though if you defaced all the imperial icons on the armour to show there allegiance

I have a scan of the panel to show you
http://i39.tinypic.com/nv9w6w.png

T10
10-01-2014, 13:42
Why so narrow minded? It's fine If people want to use loyalist kits to make Traitors, as they once were loyal. I actually think it's a pretty cool idea. It is ok.

Hey, he asked if it was ok, and I gave a straight answer.

-T10

shandy
10-01-2014, 14:50
With my Alpha legion they are a mix of chaos marine, codex marine, chaos warrior, chaos knight, space wolf and dark angel kits.

Some of they have breastplates with the Aquila and what I am doing with those is heating up a pin and then running it through the Aquila to look like it has taken melta damage.

frikandel speciaal
10-01-2014, 15:57
Hey, he asked if it was ok, and I gave a straight answer.

-T10

Yeah, but you didn't give an answer on why you are so narrow minded.

MusingWarboss
10-01-2014, 17:19
Those Red Corsairs are a bit odd. I've not heard of them before. Are you supposed to cobble together a motley band of imperial marines and just slap a Red Cross over them? I noticed a chaos or two in that photo anyway. Wouldn't they looks a bit, well, 2nd Edition Eldar/Ork multicolour mismatch?

The former Crimson fists look good but the Space Wolf just looks... Wrong. And the Dark Angel doesn't look much different from the normal ones!

What would happen to the Blood Angels who are black with red crosses on them anyway? If they went red corsair they wouldn't look any different!

Harwammer
10-01-2014, 18:03
I'm sure you've heard of them before, MusingWarboss. You know the CSM special character that gives infiltrate as his warlord trait? Red Corsairs are his HUGE quasi-legion holed up in The Maelstrom! The Red Corsairs are probably one of the three most numerous chaos space marine factions alongside the Black Legion and the Word Bearers!

As to the Blood Angels with red crosses on them... They would look different, you'll note marines of the Red Corsairs don't just have red crosses defacing imperial iconography, they also incorporate versions of the chaos star painted on to the armour, so there would be your difference.

Edit: I do concede your point that painting renegade loyalists in their usual colours with red crosses covering imperial icons does look a bit naff. Probably why those models haven't featured in the current c:csm codex. That said, tactical marines painted in a more sinister, chaos flavour with bold chaotic symbols will look much better than a space wolf who looks like he volunteers for the red cross on his days off.

MusingWarboss
10-01-2014, 20:15
I may have Harwammer but most likely forgot all about them.

I think marines painted up in a nice Chaos theme would look great - my big (well ok, not big, minor maybe) quibble with the stock GW Chaos models is that they all look very Khorne. That seems to be the starting point for all Chaos marines. Unfortunately I don't think it necessarily fits with the themes of Nurgle (rotten) or Slaanesh (Fleshy/perverse). Both of which a basic imperial marine would be a better starting point and convert/kitbash/3rd party resin away*. It's just a personal thing maybe but I like my followers to look like they follow their particular choice not look like they all went to the same Chaos outfitter! I mean Chaos undivided could get away with it but still, spiky says Khorne to me. Each to their own though. :)

Hmm, a cynical little snotling is whispering to me that creating a chapter that lets you use loads of different models from the whole chaos and imperial range seems awfully lucrative for GW to shift more kits and a great way to recycle your old models from the starter box sets. ;)

*EDIT: Have a look at these lovely converted and kitbashed Nurgle marines (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?383462-My-Death-Guard-fully-converted)!

Poncho160
10-01-2014, 20:24
The Space Wolf box is also a very good replacement for the chaos one, and literally comes with hundreds of bits.

T10
10-01-2014, 20:34
Yeah, but you didn't give an answer on why you are so narrow minded.

I am actually looking at the bigger picture. :)

-T10

adreal
10-01-2014, 22:06
I use loyalist parts in my alpha legion, I have even converted chaos backpacks to look like loyalist ones by cutting the storks off them.

But now I have ideas to do a slaanesh warband using marauder kits with big chaos shields......