PDA

View Full Version : What Horus Heresy army are you going to get or already have?

Grand Master Azrael
08-01-2014, 20:36
I'm going to get some Iron Warriors. Once the Dark Angels get heresy-era rules i'll get them

draccan
08-01-2014, 20:51
I would love to have Imperial Fists and World Eaters

Navar
08-01-2014, 20:51
Iron Hands FTW.

draccan
08-01-2014, 20:52
Iron Hands FTW.

I love the minis and colour scheme but their role seem to be so limited during the Horus Heresy.

Grand Master Azrael
08-01-2014, 21:06
The Iron Hands were the main loyalists on Istvan. After that all Iron Hands ships were allowed to fight the Traitors however they wished, from raids on supplies to assassinations, or intelligence missions to all out assaults on traitor ships

Odin
08-01-2014, 21:07
It's the legions in the first book I like most, World Eaters, Emperor's Children, Sons of Horus and Death Guard. All great colour scemes and background.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

K3nn3rs
08-01-2014, 21:26
Waiting for Ultramarines or Blood Angles....

Makaber
08-01-2014, 21:29
I remember T10 and me doing a "Pre-Heresy Crimson Fists" april's fools thread, and it went completely over everyone's head. So, Crimson Fists.

still-young
08-01-2014, 21:32
Eventually (ie after that lottery win...) Alpha Legion or Night Lords. Or Raven Guard

Kung Fu Hamster
08-01-2014, 21:41
If I somehow get the additional money for a 30K army, it'd be Night Lords all the way.

nosebiter
08-01-2014, 21:49
Iron Hands so far.

But i bet the space wolf stuff will be epic.

Grand Master Azrael
08-01-2014, 21:58
The Crimson Fists weren't around unitl AFTER the scoring

mostlyharmless
08-01-2014, 22:15
Guerrilla war Raven Guard, all in sable MkVI corvus armour, dark as the void, eyepieces shining green, heralding their foes' demise.

Makaber
08-01-2014, 22:30
The Crimson Fists weren't around unitl AFTER the scoring

It is a joke. That was the joke. I said in the first of only two sentences it was a joke.

Col. Dash
08-01-2014, 22:52
Already have around 4-5k in Night Lords. Continues to grow.

Bob Arctor
09-01-2014, 01:24
I started World Eaters about 6 years ago but haven't got very far with them yet. It was intended to be a slow-grow project as I was initially converting them out of various plastic kits and old metals (this was before the FW models came out). I've just assembled Angron though, so hopefully that will inspire me to make some progress. Our club is about halfway through its Heresy campaign, so it would be nice if they were ready in time for the siege of Terra!

If I was to do another Heresy-era army, it would probably be Salamanders, Luna Wolves or Thousand Sons

Fizzy
09-01-2014, 01:40
I got World Eaters since the rumours of FW making this range.

And I also got a pretty big Death Guard force.

And small units and primarchs here and there.

The Emperor
09-01-2014, 01:40
If I had the money to afford a Forge World army, then I would get either Blood Angels, Ultramarines, or Space Wolves. Unfortunately, not only can I not afford that, but it'll be a while before specific units show up for those Legions, nevermind miniatures for their Primarch's.

Voss
09-01-2014, 01:57
What Horus Heresy army are you going to get or already have?
None. Silly concept.

Nubl0
09-01-2014, 02:05
I am torn between World Eaters and the Death Guard, typhon is smexy but those red butchers... Neeeuugh!!

ChaplainAvorus96
09-01-2014, 02:12
My plan is to go for a Deathguard force themed around Garro's company and a small Imperial Fists force as well!

Wiseman
09-01-2014, 02:15
I'm working on The First Legion

Scorpius_78
09-01-2014, 02:26
Mechanicum or Thousands Sons.

I plan on starting one or the other (or maybe both) in about 4 years. After all my Dark Angels and Eldar are painted

MaliceXR3
09-01-2014, 08:28
Death Guard :evilgrin:

OuroborosTriumphant
09-01-2014, 08:41
I have a (very) small Mechanicum force that I plan to grow slowly. I may come to ally in some Legion forces, but I dither between Dark Angels, Iron Hands, Iron Warriors and Death Guard.

dugaal
09-01-2014, 08:42
Loved the Cataphractii when they came out, plus the dark serpent green of the Sons of Horus, so tada.
Since then ive been so slow that a ton of SoH post-fall kits have been released.
Stalled for half a year now.

Johnnya10
09-01-2014, 09:19
When I Get Round to it, and when I have the money, I'd love to do a Death Guard Army. Both set s of Termis, Typhus, Contemptor and a big mess of marines and rhinos... that'd be sweet but stonkingly expensive.

Menthak
09-01-2014, 09:23
Waiting for the Imperial Army to give their contribution, but if I had to choose a Legion it'd be Thousand Sons.

frikandel speciaal
09-01-2014, 09:25
I'm playing Death Guard and the army is all most finished. My second army will be Blood Angels(3 units ready, lot's to be done). And i would like me some White Scars.
To be honest, i would like to have all Legions( with the exception of Salamanders). Never going to happen though.

Mandragola
09-01-2014, 11:31
I've got imperial fists. About 3000 points at the moment. I'm not sure what the next project will be but I've got an un assembled veteran squad and an idea to scratch build a thunderhawk!

Gutpaunch
09-01-2014, 19:33
It has to be Iron Hands for me!
I have alwys had a soft spot for the World Eaters but Im loving the conversionability of the IH models...just love em :)

Odin
09-01-2014, 19:40
None. Silly concept.

The enthusiasm of all the other posts would suggest otherwise...

Kijamon
09-01-2014, 20:41
World Eaters are up to about 4,000 points though I do have to decide if I use the 20 MK IV's for them or not. Themed on a boarding action the only vehicles I have are 3 contemptors.

Space Wolves vehicle wise is ridiculous cause I have a glaive and a thunderhawk available but the troops are still unbuilt due to a need to see any cool upgrades, troops or the like. Since I collect Space Wolves in 40k and have a lot of them, my vehicle side is huge for this.

Imperial Fists are built and just waiting to be painted, about 3,000 points of those. Themed on a siege list, meant to be defending and plugging the gaps in the Palace walls.

Kijamon
09-01-2014, 20:42
None. Silly concept.

Your loss! The 30k era game is immense fun. Seems to have less of the power gaming aspect too, people play to the fluff and reap the benefit of a much more fun game.

Kor'Vesh
09-01-2014, 20:50
I'm hoping to gradually add some Heresey Era stuff to my 40K Salamanders. I will probably get my first MKIIs soon. Too expensive to buy in bulk at the minute, but I can't wait for the legion specific units to finally emerge!

Anyway, this made me sad:

To be honest, i would like to have all Legions( with the exception of Salamanders).

Why every one APART from the Salamanders - they're craft-loving, pyromaniac, humanitairian super-human space dragons, with hammers. What's not to love?

Grand Master Azrael
10-01-2014, 00:32
Salamanders are cool.Infact, they were my first ever army for any game and so have a soft-spot in my heart.

Grand Master Azrael
10-01-2014, 00:34
None. Silly concept.
If this is a silly concept, then so is 40k. And is 40k is silly, then so is ever other game that involves miniatures.

Surgency
10-01-2014, 00:46
I've been looking forward to a heresy era Raven Guard force

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

m1acca1551
10-01-2014, 01:45
Night lords!!!!

And Ultramarines with detachments of other legions who remained loyal from IW and Luna Wolves. My theory has always been that Guilliman used the geneseed of the traitor legions to rebuild the numbers of marines and also explains why some of the Ultramarines successor chapters are so varied in doctrine :)

dugaal
10-01-2014, 02:55
If loyalist elements from traitor legions were accepted into the ultras would they retain their insignias/colors? For the purpose of showing identification and to display their loyalty I would imagine them stripping their armor
I dont quite see the being inducted into the ultras either, due to distrust, dishonor or the unusual circumstances in doing so

m1acca1551
10-01-2014, 03:10
I can agree with the stripping of the armour colour and insignia,

As for the second part, remember Guilliman is the ultimate pragmatist, how best to write the codex astartes sections of siege craft than by enlisting the aid of those to whom it is second nature. Their is a story in the HH series that does indicate that Guilliman requests the aid of a member of one of those traitor legions who remained loyal for aid.

I think that him hiding them withing his ranks does suite his style and further bolsters the strength of the ultramarines as a legion.

Langdon
10-01-2014, 06:12
Night lords!!!!

And Ultramarines with detachments of other legions who remained loyal from IW and Luna Wolves. My theory has always been that Guilliman used the geneseed of the traitor legions to rebuild the numbers of marines and also explains why some of the Ultramarines successor chapters are so varied in doctrine :)

UM's are cowards so I doubt they kept the loyals NL's.. i think the NL's would just kill them in disgust

as to what HH army i am going to get/have?

ATM i have a pseudo-HH Raven Guard army, as they are based on a RG battle cruiser fleeing Dropsite via a warp jump and emerging 10k years later, such is the nature of that place.

When Morty comes out, I plan on running a Death Guard army pre-nurgle but traitor alligned

Mage
10-01-2014, 07:32
I have painted 8 miniatures for my Sons of Horus, done in a slightly brighter green than the darker verdigris before they fell. Have about twenty or more with the basecoat green and some others that aren't assembled. Got an allied contingent of heavily converted Word Bearers to go with them too.

frikandel speciaal
10-01-2014, 07:46
I'm hoping to gradually add some Heresey Era stuff to my 40K Salamanders. I will probably get my first MKIIs soon. Too expensive to buy in bulk at the minute, but I can't wait for the legion specific units to finally emerge!

Anyway, this made me sad:

Why every one APART from the Salamanders - they're craft-loving, pyromaniac, humanitairian super-human space dragons, with hammers. What's not to love?
I really don't like Salamanders. They lack all the gimm i like in Space Marines. I would call them political correct and in my country they would vote Groen Links and that's not a good thing. (just kidding) I think their artwork and rules in the Forgeworld book is great and strong though.

frikandel speciaal
10-01-2014, 07:54
If this is a silly concept, then so is 40k. And is 40k is silly, then so is ever other game that involves miniatures.

Quoted for truth. It's silly to call it a silly concept. The Horus Heresy is as much fun as you can get with the best miniatures avaible.

Mage
10-01-2014, 08:29
Quoted for truth. It's silly to call it a silly concept. The Horus Heresy is as much fun as you can get with the best miniatures avaible.

+1 to this. It would be like a John Cleese fan calling a monthy python fan silly for their taste in silly humour.

Marshal_Loss
10-01-2014, 16:40
I collect and am in love with my Sons of Horus. I've considered dabbling in other Legions, but I've just kept expanding my current force so far. Words cannot describe how keen I am for the release of Lupercal himself...

Navar
10-01-2014, 16:52
I love the minis and colour scheme but their role seem to be so limited during the Horus Heresy.

I am okay with this because I really like the fluff.

Some legions have a good "crazy factor" (Blood angels, space wolves, etc.) and I really like the fluff around the Iron Hands.

I also like their combat doctrine.

Vaktathi
10-01-2014, 16:57
I'd love to do a HH mechanicum army or, if they get around to it, an Imperial Army list.

spacemonkeymojo
10-01-2014, 19:58
I personally love the look of so many of Forge World's models. I like the alabaster/green Death Guard Grave Wardens, the Palatine Blades ornamentation on their armor looks superb (mkiv is my favorite armor though) and the gold trim with turian purple looks phenomenal, the World Eater's new terminators look INCREDIBLE! I am not a big fan of brainless 'crush, kill, destroy' berserkers but it almost makes me want to buy them just to have them as models. Then the Mkiv Sons of Horus, simply because I am a chaos player and I really like the mkiv Sons of Horus models as well as the brunswick green-esque paint scheme.

I know I sound like a fan boy but if I had the money I would buy one of each.

Chem-Dog
10-01-2014, 21:56
I am sorely tempted by the Mechanicum stuff, The Castellax are awesome and will definitely find their way into my collection in some way.
The Thralls, both varieties of Myrmidons and the Thallax are all pretty cool looking and it's a struggle to not oredr them when I have other projects waiting for my attention....

Fangschrecken
10-01-2014, 22:03
If loyalist elements from traitor legions were accepted into the ultras would they retain their insignias/colors? For the purpose of showing identification and to display their loyalty I would imagine them stripping their armor
I dont quite see the being inducted into the ultras either, due to distrust, dishonor or the unusual circumstances in doing so

It's sort of hinted at that the Red Hunters chapter were founded from loyalist survivors of the traitor legions

Mage
11-01-2014, 08:26
It's sort of hinted at that the Red Hunters chapter were founded from loyalist survivors of the traitor legions

Not to derail the thread, but rather than purchase a forge world book from a snipper of fluff, would you mind elaborating, as I like the Red Hunters and would like to do an army of them. Thanks!

Vector Strike
11-01-2014, 15:35
Thousand Sons. Oh, the psykery... Jealous Eldar everywhere :evilgrin:

Knifeparty
11-01-2014, 15:41
I'm dying to do a Sons of Horus army.

Crusius
11-01-2014, 22:58
Death Guard and Night Lords (some kind of an alliance). I've always wanted to paint weathered white/light grey and is there any doubt what other army after the Night Lords trilogy by ADB? Ave dominus nox. For some reason they are battle brothers according to the alliance chart, so it would provide a nice background for an army.

Fangschrecken
11-01-2014, 23:39
Not to derail the thread, but rather than purchase a forge world book from a snipper of fluff, would you mind elaborating, as I like the Red Hunters and would like to do an army of them. Thanks!

It came up in a background thread on the red hunters, but I never personally read the FW books they're in. I don't think it was anything more that rumor and speculation on our part and some vague hints from FW that they're more than they seem. Founded right after the heresy to wreck vengeance upon the traitors and all that. Continually mind-wiped to protect them from "remembering the horrors they see in service to the inquisition." Sure thing pal, either the inquisition is using them on dirty jobs, they're connected to traitors or Grey Knights are the greatest chapter ever and they and only they can handle seeing daemons. Pishaw.

Poseidal
12-01-2014, 04:00
I remember T10 and me doing a "Pre-Heresy Crimson Fists" april's fools thread, and it went completely over everyone's head. So, Crimson Fists.

Crimson Fists were confirmed to be around pre-heresy in Space Marine anyway.

Importman
12-01-2014, 04:57
Those Emperor's Children are certainly nice.

As for yet unreleased stuff I want to see what Ultras and Space Wolves look like.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

SonofMagnus
12-01-2014, 05:39
Look at my name, now back to this, now back at my name, back to this, Give you a guess, get it wrong? Then your a worse fool then Russ himself!!!!!!!

Cant wait for my boys in red/gold to take to the field. and I am NOT talking kids of the Angel.

Turion Rilyaloce
12-01-2014, 07:00
Waiting for Dark Angels release, actually happy its not for a while. This should give sculptors plenty of time to improve and make a model worthy of the Lion!

Grand Master Azrael
12-01-2014, 07:25
Crimson Fists were confirmed to be around pre-heresy in Space Marine anyway.

Not possible. The Imperial Fists remained a legion until AFTER the Iron Cage during the scouring

Poseidal
12-01-2014, 09:22
Not possible. The Imperial Fists remained a legion until AFTER the Iron Cage during the scouring

But they were there. It specifically mentions the Crimson Fists in doing some kind of convoy operations:

Historical Background: Perhaps the most famous convoy actions of the Horus Heresy were carried out by the Land Raiders and Rhinos of No. 3 Company, Crimson Fists Chapter, during the defense of Gramercie in the Sangraal campaign. The population had been decimated by an orbital virus bomb to which only the Rebel forces had the antidote. After a heroic raid on a Rebel installation, the Crimson Fists convoy fought its way through the massing Rebel forces and delivered the antidote to the garrison of Gramercie in the nick of time. Brother-Captain Parzval, who commanded the action, went on to a highly distinguished career, finally to become Imperial Commander of the Crimson Fists.

Commotionpotion
12-01-2014, 10:24
Given the chance, either Thousand Sons, because I suspect Magnus will have a particularly spectacular model, and the profusion of psykers probably in ornate armor.
Or the Iron Warriors, because a heavily technological army of siege troops with Mechanicum support would look amazing en mass in the IW colours.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk

Langdon
12-01-2014, 10:47
Look at my name, now back to this, now back at my name, back to this, Give you a guess, get it wrong? Then your a worse fool then Russ himself!!!!!!!

Cant wait for my boys in red/gold to take to the field. and I am NOT talking kids of the Angel.

Another Alpha Legionnaire I see.. after all those buggers are everywhere

Commissar Goddard
12-01-2014, 10:50
Taking a little break from my Iron Warriors to start a small force for a second legion. Having a go at the Nightlords, love the background, colour scheme and it's not boltgun metal!

Grand Master Azrael
12-01-2014, 20:23
But they were there. It specifically mentions the Crimson Fists in doing some kind of convoy operations:

List one reliable source where you can find this. It also has to be current fluff. Rogal Dorn was entirely against splitting up his beloved Imperial Fists but later on in the scouring he decided he would. He decided that after is attempt at Bringing Perturabo back to Terra in an Iron Cage he would split his legion up into Chapters. The Iron Cage was going to be a baptism of fire for what the Legion was to become, and so the Iron Cage was the Last Campaign before they were split into Chapters.

still-young
13-01-2014, 07:52
Weren't the black Templars also Kindof around before the heresy? So the crimson fists may have been there in some form

dugaal
13-01-2014, 08:12
I am sort of making this up, but one could reconcile that old fluff nugget from the Space Marine rulebook with the current canon (intact legions until the heresy was over).
In Betrayal, "Chapters" existed in the legion hierarchy to make up the whole legion already. It is conceivable that due to operating in different campaigns and under different chapter masters they began to develop those cultural differences that lead to their names and insignia following the legion dismantling.

Poseidal
13-01-2014, 11:17
List one reliable source where you can find this. It also has to be current fluff. Rogal Dorn was entirely against splitting up his beloved Imperial Fists but later on in the scouring he decided he would. He decided that after is attempt at Bringing Perturabo back to Terra in an Iron Cage he would split his legion up into Chapters. The Iron Cage was going to be a baptism of fire for what the Legion was to become, and so the Iron Cage was the Last Campaign before they were split into Chapters.

I did: Space Marine Rulebook Page 30. It is current, as it was created since 1989.

Note that nothing suggests the legion was split; simply that the Crimson Fists existed during the Horus Heresy and it is relatively famous in-universe that this is the case.

Still Standing
13-01-2014, 14:11
Chapter was a formation during the Heresy.

Squad < Company < Chapter < Legion

There is no reason why a particular chapter couldn't have been name the Crimson Fists during the Heresy.

As for what I play. Why the Thousand Sons of course!

frikandel speciaal
13-01-2014, 15:07
Indeed, Chapter as a formation during the Heresy and i guess lot's of Chapters became Successors.

I don't know which Horus Heresy book, but there is a story about Flesh Tearers taking part in a Tournament with World Eaters before the Heresy.

Brother Nidus
13-01-2014, 15:57
I have a sizeable Emperor's Children force mostly unpainted, but I am getting better at splashing some purple on in short bursts of productivity.

I'm also getting some Sons of Horus in to accompany Mr. Loken into battle. Just an allies detachment worth.

Later on I think I'll want to get a small force of Thousand Sons when they start showing up, and even later than that (when I've paid off all my increasing Forgeworld debts) a Siege of Terra themed Fists force.

Yeah I like heresy...

Nidus

FashaTheDog
13-01-2014, 16:10
+++<Begin transmission:
01001001001000000111011101101001011011000110110000 10000001110011011001010111001001110110011001010010 00000111010001101000011001010010000001001111011011 01011011100110100101110011011100110110100101100001 0110100000101110
:End transmission>+++

In case your "Lingua-technis" is not up to par, I succinctly stated my intention to eventually begin a Mechanicum army.

Grand Master Azrael
13-01-2014, 21:12
I've read that the Crimson fists were formed in the second founing, after the Heresy. Also Chapters within the legion also kept the same name, colours and symbol.

Still Standing
13-01-2014, 21:20
All of the 2nd Founding Chapters separated during the Scouring, however they already existed before then. They already had their individual traits gained from working as independent fighting units on thousand of battlefields. Sure, the Crimson Fists wore yellow up until the Scouring, but the Chapter was always there. The name was probably a nickname the Legionnaires gave to their Praetor (chapter master) after he tore somebodies heart out with his hands or something.

still-young
13-01-2014, 22:25
I've been thinking about it more lately and it's really hard to pin a legion down. I'm thinking Alpha Legion, with some Night Lords (using some of the Sons of Horus models for the brutal feel) and maybe some Mechanicus stuff... But I dunno how fluffy that is. They're just my favourite aspects.

ShadowbaneII
13-01-2014, 23:28
I'm a EC fan all the way, slowly building my assault force up now although fighting between 'rule of cool' and my force's fluff with regards to the Kakophanie units ^^ Eventually want roughly a small assault company led by either the Phoenician himself or Lord Commander Eidelon.

I'm waiting for the Thousand sons release to maybe add them as an allies force (I know its not fluffy but they are just too awesome too pass up)

TheFang
14-01-2014, 10:59
I don't know which Horus Heresy book, but there is a story about Flesh Tearers taking part in a Tournament with World Eaters before the Heresy.
That's Amit THE Flesh Tearer. One of the Blood Angels who became the first Chapter Master of the Flesh Tearers. There's quite a bit of foreshadowing of the later division of the Legions in some of the character and sunbformation names

frikandel speciaal
14-01-2014, 12:59
That's Amit THE Flesh Tearer. One of the Blood Angels who became the first Chapter Master of the Flesh Tearers. There's quite a bit of foreshadowing of the later division of the Legions in some of the character and sunbformation names

Thanx, i didn't know that!

Nazguire
14-01-2014, 13:22
The Thousand Sons stuff will be all kinds of win so if I was to get one it'd definitely be them.
I'm also interested to see what FW will do with the Alpha Legion.

Grand Master Azrael
26-01-2014, 00:06
Sigismiund, Dorn's main man (and the ORIGINAL Black Templar) was still an Imperial Fist until the scouring

bork da basher
26-01-2014, 15:54
iv'e always wanted world eaters and deathguard but i think if i was going to shovel cash into horus heresy i'd invest in mechanicum forces, dark mechanicum if they ever got enough releases.

johnpaulkeegans
26-01-2014, 16:38
I have started an Emperors Children force.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stroller
26-01-2014, 18:33
None. Somehow it just doesn't "bite" for me. But - hey - have fun!

raider13
27-01-2014, 10:45
I would love to start a World Eaters army.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erik_Morkai
27-01-2014, 12:53
Death guard or Iron Hands for me. Waiting to see what Mortarion will look like.

tychii
28-01-2014, 03:55
working on Night lords at the moment
But cant wait to see
Alpha legion -- because they will have the potential for some really really interesting rules
Thousandsons -- Because the Egyptian theme has always resonated with me a bit... not crazy about the head crests
Space wolves --- Their controlled ferocity, and being the Emperors executioners is just bad ass.