PDA

View Full Version : Catacomb command barge conversion idea

Andy089
08-01-2014, 22:41
Hello,

I was thinking about getting a catacomb command barge and need your opinion on this idea:
Build the barge without the 2 guys in the front but instead put in 2 destroyers or Wraiths, making it look like a chariot.

I have a few questions:

First off what do you generally think about this?

Do you know if there are any empty right hands in any necron kit that can be used for the destroyers (as they should have no weapons)?

Would Destroyers or Wraiths look better? (I am building a "fluffy" list and while destroyers would fit the theme better, my overlord will have a phase shifter, which screams wraith)

Spiney Norman
08-01-2014, 23:47
Hello,

I was thinking about getting a catacomb command barge and need your opinion on this idea:
Build the barge without the 2 guys in the front but instead put in 2 destroyers or Wraiths, making it look like a chariot.

I have a few questions:

First off what do you generally think about this?

Do you know if there are any empty right hands in any necron kit that can be used for the destroyers (as they should have no weapons)?

Would Destroyers or Wraiths look better? (I am building a "fluffy" list and while destroyers would fit the theme better, my overlord will have a phase shifter, which screams wraith)

Wraiths might be harder to convert as pulling the chariot because they are naturally upright, but I guess they would be more themed. Canoptek Acanthrites might be easier in that regard, though they are more expensive.

As far as right hands for wraiths go I don't know, you could arm one of them with the gauss cannon instead of mounting it under the barge, but that doesn't really help you with the second one. Maybe give him a spare sword/scythe from a Lycheguard/praetorian box?

ForgottenLore
09-01-2014, 01:19
Either sounds good to me, but if you conversion skills are up to it, I think a pair of wraiths, undulating along in a horizontal position on short flight stands would look amazing.

Sternguard777
09-01-2014, 01:38
Are you sure the Barge is big enough? I built a Barge and a box of Wraiths for my friend who plays Necrons and two Wraiths would almost be as big as the Barge itself.

KUMA
09-01-2014, 04:45
I just got an image of the wraiths in a line, pulling the lord like he was some sort of damned metal santa!

Andy089
09-01-2014, 11:03
yeah I just found that yesterday - Destroyers would look a bit awkward (even though I still kinda like the image), but Wraiths would definitely look really really cool, but both of them are too big for the normal Catacomb command barge.

HOWEVER, what if one was to take the rear of a Ghost ark with the driver's seat as some sort of throne with the Wraiths in front of that?
I would "connect" the Wraiths with the thick cables of the obelisk - what do you think? (here is a rough paint sketch:)

Would that create a problem in terms of WYSIWYG?

Charistoph
09-01-2014, 16:17
The only problem would be if you try to include the Wraiths' attack profile(s) and special rules in to the Chariot. But it being a Chariot, that conversion would be no problem to be.

Sternguard777
09-01-2014, 22:58
yeah I just found that yesterday - Destroyers would look a bit awkward (even though I still kinda like the image), but Wraiths would definitely look really really cool, but both of them are too big for the normal Catacomb command barge.

HOWEVER, what if one was to take the rear of a Ghost ark with the driver's seat as some sort of throne with the Wraiths in front of that?
I would "connect" the Wraiths with the thick cables of the obelisk - what do you think? (here is a rough paint sketch:)

Would that create a problem in terms of WYSIWYG?

That looks great even if its a little rough. I can honestly tell you that if you put that on the table across from me I would have no problem facing it. I'd probably stop to admire it a bit first.