PDA

View Full Version : What I will be doing to help contribute insight on the game

Herkamer63
09-01-2014, 16:22
This I'm excited about. I just want to quickly go over what my plan is. Since I started playing this game, there has been unfair criticism and lately, from what I noticed, it's becoming even more so. What I want to do is offer a counter to all this and give a fair review. Starting with the new Tyranid codex, I will be writing reviews on the current or new codices along with their supplements. What I want to do is expose what's really going on in each army book and help people not to buy into the BS that's out there. I'll post up stats, warhead, rules, units, and a little bit of fluff. Where I will be fair, I just want to say, and this is the central theme as to why I'm doing this, there is no such thing as a bad codex. It all depends on how you, the player, use it. I may sound like another critic or cheerleader, however you may view it, but if you want fair analysis without the doom and gloomy from a fellow gamer, check out my posts. Hopefully, this will help people decide what they want to play. Thanks guys.

jackers
09-01-2014, 16:49
cool idea, but posting up stat lines, points costs and rules may get you into trouble with GW.

Herkamer63
09-01-2014, 17:19
cool idea, but posting up stat lines, points costs and rules may get you into trouble with GW.

Good point. I will be very minimal on that aspect then. Overall, I'm a little nervous, but very excited.

IcedCrow
09-01-2014, 17:25
Neutral reviews that don't froth with rage or pass off everything as great are something that the internet sorely lacks.

A.T.
09-01-2014, 17:39
I would advise not starting with the tyranid book - it'll be a while before people (including you) have a chance to get their head around it. Something established, tried and tested like crons or DE would be a better starter.

As mentioned you should also avoid posting stats and detailed rules. It's ok in moderation (i.e. when noting that a walker's front AV13 protects it from krak grenades or that the hunters reduced BS doesn't matter much when splitting fire) but beware the mods.

but if you want fair analysis without the doom and gloomy from a fellow gamerUpbeat is fine but trying to show everything in a good light ends up being just as useless as everything being shown in a poor light. All units, and all books are not born equal regardless of who is playing them.

Herkamer63
09-01-2014, 18:20
Neutral reviews that don't froth with rage or pass off everything as great are something that the internet sorely lacks.

I hear that. Where I will express what I like about whatever it is, I will keep it as down the middle as possible. Tyranids, for example, I am excited about and I'm sure it'll be a good codex, I will not go off and be like 'everything is so perfect that it's the perfect codex'. There will be down sides. All codices do, but that's what makes them cool because then it challenges players to improvise or readjust their army. You try things you typically don't use. That's why this'll be good, IMO.

Herkamer63
09-01-2014, 18:26
I would advise not starting with the tyranid book - it'll be a while before people (including you) have a chance to get their head around it. Something established, tried and tested like crons or DE would be a better starter.

As mentioned you should also avoid posting stats and detailed rules. It's ok in moderation (i.e. when noting that a walker's front AV13 protects it from krak grenades or that the hunters reduced BS doesn't matter much when splitting fire) but beware the mods.

Upbeat is fine but trying to show everything in a good light ends up being just as useless as everything being shown in a poor light. All units, and all books are not born equal regardless of who is playing them. I can do it in order from the first codex to the latest. That could work. I'll make sure to be careful not to give out too much. I know how touchy companies can be about their products, which I understand.

Spiney Norman
09-01-2014, 20:26
This I'm excited about. I just want to quickly go over what my plan is. Since I started playing this game, there has been unfair criticism and lately, from what I noticed, it's becoming even more so. What I want to do is offer a counter to all this and give a fair review. Starting with the new Tyranid codex, I will be writing reviews on the current or new codices along with their supplements. What I want to do is expose what's really going on in each army book and help people not to buy into the BS that's out there. I'll post up stats, warhead, rules, units, and a little bit of fluff. Where I will be fair, I just want to say, and this is the central theme as to why I'm doing this, there is no such thing as a bad codex. It all depends on how you, the player, use it. I may sound like another critic or cheerleader, however you may view it, but if you want fair analysis without the doom and gloomy from a fellow gamer, check out my posts. Hopefully, this will help people decide what they want to play. Thanks guys.

Sounds fun, just bear in mind that while 'net-wisdom' is not necessarily always right, its not necessarily always wrong either, a fair and unbiased review that acknowledges other reviewers might come to different conclusions is a good thing, setting out to prove everyone else wrong from the outset is not, you might just wind up finding that they are right.

I generally find that 'net-rage' is just a hyper-exaggerated expression of what is really self-evident as you play the game. Str D weapons are a case in point, they are extremely powerful without a doubt, but leaving aside the Revenant Titan, models that mount them usually only have one, and often cost between 500 and 800pts each, so the destruction they wreak is arguably proportional with their cost.