PDA

View Full Version : Orks power level currently.

Fieos
10-01-2014, 16:15
I've been away from 40k for a few years now and I'm mainly considering getting back into the hobby to play with some friends. They typically play WAAC lists so I want to ensure that I'm spending my money wisely. I've been reviewing the factions as I have to 'relate' to the faction in order to be invested enough to built, paint, and the subtle nuances of their play style. I really enjoy my Fantasy Orcs and I'm considering picking up Orks but will need to be competitive against a SM friend who tailors on at least a subconscious level.

So Orks? Or what are the good matchups to SMs?

Dwane Diblie
10-01-2014, 16:44
Orks are ok. Great fun to play but I would not rate them as being competitive. They have no ranged weapons above S8 unless it is S2D6 so can not reliably damage Land Raiders and has 0% chance of touching a fortification at range. Only models that can deal with that stuff are HQs and Nobz (oh and the 2 Tank Bustaz with Tank Hammerz). Apart from that they are alright and will put up a decent fight. Again not top by any regards but fun to play.

Chumbalaya
10-01-2014, 16:59
If your group plays for power, then Tau/Eldar/Daemons are basically your only options.

Fieos
10-01-2014, 17:22
Hrm, I play Daemons in WHFB and I'm not rebasing :)

What should I consider for Tau or Eldar? I'm not real familiar with the new buddy system 40k instituted for combining armies. Thanks for the help btw.

Harwammer
10-01-2014, 18:28
Basically you get your standard force organisation chart (FOC) for your main detachment, then a second FOC which is between a half and a third of the size of the standard one which can be used for allies. This is sticking with the main rule book. Obviously once you add supplements and various digital download options things start to get more complicated.

Tau and Eldar allied seem popular with the WAAC style. I guess a bonus to this combo is each army also works well on its own so you can play a few different play styles with your collection.

A word of warning, though. 6th is an edition written more for collaborative story telling (with tea&cakes/beer&pretzles) than competitive 'winner takes all' (drinking the tears of your opponent) style games.

Ironbone
10-01-2014, 19:20
Orkz in terms of power are overall ok, averange to good, depend on enemy army. Well, outside maybe Sisters of Battale, there are no truly terrible armies nowdays.

pun3d
10-01-2014, 20:13
Rumored to get a new codex soon too.

A.T.
10-01-2014, 20:31
Only models that can deal with that stuff are HQs and Nobz (oh and the 2 Tank Bustaz with Tank Hammerz)And deff rollas - you have to get close with orks but if you can they'll literally run over AV14 between the wagons, boarding planks, and claws.

Ironbone
10-01-2014, 21:36
Yeah, rollas are pure insanity when correcly (ha, corretly, just move and ram stuff :p) used. Luckly, rollas do not win battles on their own.

Barun Von Krump
13-01-2014, 16:42
I think Orks hold up nicely in this edition. Yea there are pros and cons but they do pretty good. It's just not an automatic win, battle tactics are crucial.

Silversage
13-01-2014, 18:39
If you are hesitating about whether you should play orks or not, there can be only one answer: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Though in all seriousness, they can do really good but they can also do bad. In both cases, hilarity almost always ensues.