PDA

View Full Version : What armies are the biggest change from Skaven?

Merellin
10-01-2014, 23:01
So, I have played Wood Elves (Still have them but waiting for a new army book) And Skaven (Had a large army, But sold it because I just realy dident enjoy playing them all that much) So I was starting a Ogre army since it was the most diferent from Skaven, Only to have a friend spot that, and quickly step in and buy a 3300 point Ogre Army.. So now I'm thinking of trying to sell him my Ogre Battallion and starting a diferent army instead, But.. What armies are the most diferent from Skaven other then Ogres?

Pavisel
10-01-2014, 23:57
High Elves or Tomb Kings. The HE have some of the best elites, small units, good cav choices, bright and 'good'. (all the opposites from skaven) Tho TK are more neutral, they have all the undead rules but not the hordes like vampires, and the Egyptian style is very unlike skaven messiness.

SteveW
10-01-2014, 23:59
Bretonnia is the antithesis to skaven. No machines and almost all cavalry.

Phazael
11-01-2014, 00:04
Bretonnia is the antithesis to skaven. No machines and almost all cavalry.

This. Plus you don't need to be an expert in flowcharts and tables to play them. Another good change of pace would be monster mash WoC.

Spiney Norman
11-01-2014, 00:24
Undead or Lizardmen, both are uber-reliable leadership, Lizardmen especially have high quality combat troops and no warmachines with lots of Skirmishers, flying cavalry and big monsters.

Actually when it comes down to it, unless you are going to pick goblin heavy orcs and goblins, just about every army in the game is quite different from Skaven. My advice would be to take a good look at the other armies in the game and decide which you most like the look of or describe the style of army you want to play.

dooms33ker
11-01-2014, 08:10
Undead or Lizardmen, both are uber-reliable leadership, Lizardmen especially have high quality combat troops and no warmachines with lots of Skirmishers, flying cavalry and big monsters.

Actually when it comes down to it, unless you are going to pick goblin heavy orcs and goblins, just about every army in the game is quite different from Skaven. My advice would be to take a good look at the other armies in the game and decide which you most like the look of or describe the style of army you want to play.

Except skaven have very reliable leadership if player correctly. Ogres have a very different play-style, as do elves of all sorts.

The bearded one
11-01-2014, 08:33
Skaven are lots of large blocks of feeble t3 infantry that inflict relatively little damage in close combat, and are supported by strong centerpiece models (HPA, doomwheel, warplightningcannon, plague furnace, screaming bell), and can actually have a surprisingly nice leadership, if they still have their general around. Their shooting is based on a small number of high-damage shots (jezzails, Wlcannon, mortars, etc.). The army tends to move as a single mass in particular directions, rather than move all over the place.

Opposites would be;

- Ogres (small numbers, hardhitting close combat fighters)
- High elves (very elite, very hardhitting close combat, shooting based on large numbers of good bs low-medium strength shots)
- Dark elves are the same as high elves in most ways
- Lizardmen (tough blocks of hardhitting saurus, shooting based on loads of skink skirmishers, lots of units with good manoeuvrability)
- Dwarfs (very elite, tough, and hard close combat. Their shooting is a mix between small numbers of medium strength shots, and warmachine fire)
- Chaos warriors (Extremely elite, high armoursaves, ridiculous close combat potential, can be very manoeuvrable depending on the build, little to no shooting)
- Bretonnia (close combat based, small numbers, high armoursaves for everybody, fast)
- Empire can be made to do all kinds of things.
- Vampire counts can be built relatively elite with strong close combat units, and almost no shooting (for example a ghoul core, graveguard/black knight filling out the rest, and some vampires)
- Beastmen can be built into a rock hard close combat army, with a medium number of models, limited shooting (Ive used a beastmen army in the past with a block of 40 gors with add. handweapons and the BSB with the +1 strength banner, a block of 7 minotaurs with a geared up doombull (hardcore to the max, seriously!), 2 chariots, some skirmishing ungors, and a block of 30ish bestigors. It was really hardhitting)
- wood elves, but part of the army are equally squishy
- tomb kings can be built to be quite elite, small numbers and tough. A core of chariots (and some archers), and then a collection of sphinxes, tomb guard and necropolis knights.

Merellin
11-01-2014, 21:27
You know what, I wont give up on Ogres. I'l continue working on them, and try to be as diferent as I can from his army, And try to ignore his constand nagging about how i'm playing the game all wrong.. I'l use Ogres with two hand weapons, i'l use many Leadbelchers, Probably wont take any iron blaster, But I'l have a Thundertusk!

And.. Then.. Sometime in the future.. I'd like to build up all three elf armis.. Expand my Wood Elves when they get a new book, Aswell as build up a High Elf and a Dark Elf army..

lordfeint
12-01-2014, 17:46
Yeah, don't give up on an army you enjoy just because someone in your group plays them. Play what you enjoy and have fun. I play Dwarfs and Brets, and while there are no Bret players within a million miles of me it seems, we have 2 other regular Dwarf players who now have bigger armies than I do. I suspect there will be more of both popping up when the new books come out too.
As for what armies play different from Skaven, I'd cast my vote for DE, HE or OK as well.

Merellin
12-01-2014, 18:22
Today, I told a few of my friends that I play with that I want to own a army of each of the three elf armies once my Ogres are done. And I was expecting them to tell me no to do it as they normaly tell me I have too many armies. But they actualy encouraged me and told me it was a nice idea! ^_^

SSquirrel
14-01-2014, 04:49
As long as you pick Wood Elves last, you have tons of time to collect the Ogres and the other 2 Elves. Who knows when they will drop Wood Elves on us. Would be nice to have Fantasy fully on 8th Ed by the end of the year. 5 books left. Feb, April, June, August, October. Dwarfs, Brets, Wood Elves, Beastmen and Skaven. Save Skaven or Beastmen for last and tie them into Halloween. It could happen.