PDA

View Full Version : Have grav-guns stemmed the flow of Riptides?

Grndhog89
11-01-2014, 04:26
So now that the SM codex has been out for a little bit I want to ask people if they have seen a shift in their competitive metas. I was thinking that with the advent of the grav gun on bikes/Centurions the Riptide spam would lessen or be less effective. Am I right? Am I wrong?

Losing Command
11-01-2014, 05:06
Not shure about Riptides, but my 3 grav-centurions in standard landraider are making people reconsider the usefullness of Wraithknights :cool: Been close-to-massacring wraith-units spamming eldar armies for a month now, and players are starting to feel like even 3 wraithknights might not be enough, complaining about how you can't get 4 :evilgrin:

So the shift might be starting, but perhaps not enough marine players have figured out in what kind of army grav-centurions work best and how to use them. You not only have to use their damage output, but also the mere threat of what they can accomplish if something gets close (close being 36")

Charistoph
11-01-2014, 05:48
One should also consider the range of Grav Weapons as well. They are very short-ranged compared to Riptides, and any effective mounts tend to get quite expensive.

Also the actual model (aside from Centurions) has not been produced in volume so can be difficult to get one's hands on.

nosebiter
11-01-2014, 06:09
If it has stemmed the monstrous creature spam, then it is a good thing. Forces peeps to use other bits from the codex and use actual tactics ( the horror).

nosebiter
11-01-2014, 06:10
Not shure about Riptides, but my 3 grav-centurions in standard landraider are making people reconsider the usefullness of Wraithknights :cool: Been close-to-massacring wraith-units spamming eldar armies for a month now, and players are starting to feel like even 3 wraithknights might not be enough, complaining about how you can't get 4 :evilgrin:

So the shift might be starting, but perhaps not enough marine players have figured out in what kind of army grav-centurions work best and how to use them. You not only have to use their damage output, but also the mere threat of what they can accomplish if something gets close (close being 36")

And quite afew marine players, my self included, would rather boil their eyes then use those ***** models :-)

Camman1984
11-01-2014, 07:05
I think biker grav spam has hurt MC armies, 6 grav shots with a 30 inch threat range is pretty nasty. Every space marine list i see not contains at least 1/2 squads of them. However, i dont think the 'real world' ever had as much riptide spam as the internet suggests so i havent seen much change. In the same way people still take vehicles even though melta exists.

Mandragola
11-01-2014, 10:29
This may actually be one viable counter to the escalated C'tan too. It has a 3+ save. It does get a 4++ but at least it's a way you can hurt the thing.

hobojebus
11-01-2014, 15:38
wanna counter riptides? get a runepriest in job done.

Tamwulf
11-01-2014, 15:49
Wow, imagine that! Your 500+ points of Dev Centurions and a Land Raider Crusader is able to kill 1 250 point model! Conga Rats! That's awesome! <.<

What I would really, really like to know is why your Eldar opponents are letting you get that unit across the table to use them on their Wraithknights?

Sorry, four models at 500+ points is NOT a good unit in any way, shape, form, or fashion. Especially when one of those models is a vehicle (AV14, but still...) and the other three models do not have an invulnerable save. This unit might work on an Eldar player, but a Tau player would eat it for lunch. Taudar? Heh. This unit wouldn't make it past the first turn of the game.

The best use of Gravguns is on a bike, preferably White Scars bikes that ignore difficult terrain (technically, bikes treat all difficult terrain as dangerous terrain, but White Scars automatically pass all dangerous terrain tests...). There are some messed up combo's with Khan, a command squad of bikes, joined by an IC on a bike. There are flanking, scouting, and reserve shenanigans that are unbelievable. Bikes have the relentless special rule, meaning they can do full moves, shoot Gravguns to max range/rate of fire, and still assault. A bike unit has a Jink save every turn they move, and it improves when they turbo boost...

So think about that for a second- a unit of White Scars bikes with Scout or infiltrate, that can move up to 24" on the first turn of the game ignoring all terrain, at T5, and 3++ Jink save on the first turn of the game. Turn two- they unleash Holy Hell with Gravguns up the wazoo. Oh, and they still have a 3+/4++ as long as they move. Three White Scar bikes with two Gravguns and a combi-Gravgun will cost you around 100 points. Good luck with that!

Oh- to the OP and Gravguns stemming the Riptide Spam- not in the slightest. It just changes the shooting priority for the Tau. If anything, they welcome it as you are spending more points on a unit specifically kitted out to take on a Riptide, but will be pretty useless against the rest of the Tau army.

Losing Command
11-01-2014, 17:32
Actually I don't have to get my Landraider with grav-centurions across the table ; with objective placement and other units with better range and good damage potential, I force the Eldar to come to me. That is why they are in a standard landraider too : it can sit at 48", behind a ruin for cover, eating away 1 to 2 wounds or hullpoints on anything it doesn't like the look of and then move in when something gets to close. More often than not the opponent then either focusses his entire army on shooting them down, leaving my other units undamaged and free to go wild, or enough centurions survive to take out another unit. Sometimes a unit doesn't have to kill its equal of points to win you the game, or to make it usefull.

And what is even crazier, last game they didn't even shoot at any of the Wraithknights. And they still won me the game without a doubt ;)

InstantKarma
11-01-2014, 17:37
So now that the SM codex has been out for a little bit I want to ask people if they have seen a shift in their competitive metas. I was thinking that with the advent of the grav gun on bikes/Centurions the Riptide spam would lessen or be less effective. Am I right? Am I wrong?

As a Tau player I have tools to keep them out of range and out of the game, but since I don't spam Riptides I cannot say with any certainity.