PDA

View Full Version : Anything interesting/changes in the New Tyranid background?

ryng_sting
11-01-2014, 13:48
For anyone in the know.

Azulthar
11-01-2014, 14:59
I'm not sure if this fluff is already known, but there's a piece about Daemons vs Tyranids in the new codex.

Tyranid invasion of a world kills a bunch of Grey Knights and allows for a Chaos artefact they were guarding to activate. This triggers a Daemonic invasion on the same planet. The Daemons leading the invasion are pretty upset by the Tyranid presence, because Tyranids apparently have no souls to corrupt ("they could no more be led to damnation than a lump of rock."). They pick a fight with the Tyranids. Lots of warp energy, big Daemonic citadel comes forth from the warp, etc. No mention yet of any negative effect the Shadow of the Warp might be having on the Daemon's ability to manifest.

Tyranids at first utterly ignored the Daemons, as they had no biomass and were deemed irrelevant as a threat. Then the Daemons began crushing the 'nids and warping the material world around them. "The Hive Mind responded like a wounded animal", but initially with little success against "this strange new enemy". The Hive Mind adapts and starts treating the rampant Daemons as rival predators, rather than prey. It attempts to keep the Daemons away with ranged beasts while quickly feeding on the planet's remaining biomass. Mention is made of a Great Unclean One whose psychic energies are smothered by the Shadow of the Warp, just before he is killed by broods of Zoanthropes. Daemons are getting worried: "No real blood flowed for Khorne, just worthless alien ichor" and "Without the fear or devotion of true mortals to sustain them, the Daemons were foundering fast."

Tyranids end up winning, and in the Warp intelligences are now plotting revenge.

Azulthar
11-01-2014, 15:03
The Doom of Malan'tai fluff remains unchanged, by the way. There were rumours of it no longer being attributed to a single unique Zoanthrope, but those were false.

Haven't found any interactions between the Tyranids and the Necrons so far.

Azulthar
11-01-2014, 15:23
I don't recall this piece of fluff either, so here goes:

The splinter fleet of Kraken was sent into a warp storm by Iyanden seers. The splinter fleet later reemerged across the galaxy right in the path of Hive Fleet Leviathan.

Iyanden's seers panicked, they did not want the biomatter of both fleets to merge. The combined genetic secrets harvested from Orks, Space Marines, Eldar, etc. would create an unstoppable breed. Seeing no other option, they went to the Dark Eldar for aid. Together they managed to prevent this "new doom for the galaxy". (By destroying the planet where the 'nid fleets would meet... The last part is a bit vague, not quite sure how blowing up a planet would prevent the fleets from joining...)

Horus38
11-01-2014, 16:28
I don't recall this piece of fluff either, so here goes:

The splinter fleet of Kraken was sent into a warp storm by Iyanden seers. The splinter fleet later reemerged across the galaxy right in the path of Hive Fleet Leviathan.

Iyanden's seers panicked, they did not want the biomatter of both fleets to merge. The combined genetic secrets harvested from Orks, Space Marines, Eldar, etc. would create an unstoppable breed. Seeing no other option, they went to the Dark Eldar for aid. Together they managed to prevent this "new doom for the galaxy". (By destroying the planet where the 'nid fleets would meet... The last part is a bit vague, not quite sure how blowing up a planet would prevent the fleets from joining...)

This is from the Iyanden supplement and is elaborated on in some detail in that book. Short version is that the Tyranids in question had been contained on that one world (Duriel) and needed to be destroyed prior to a separate hive fleet from Leviathan was able to link up with them. Also of note is this is the first time the Fireheart is used by the Eldar, which is the device that goes on to destroy a huge swathe of worlds around Octarius.

Overall there is not much new material in the book, but a general refining and incorporating of the various new stuff spread amongst the other 6th edition books/supplements. Needless to say I found the presentation very pleasing and have been enjoying it quite a bit.

Anima
11-01-2014, 23:55
At the Battle at Cold Steel Ridge Calgar is forced to go up against the Swarmlord and its body guard alone, cut off from his own honourguard.

Muad'Dib
12-01-2014, 00:40
(By destroying the planet where the 'nid fleets would meet... The last part is a bit vague, not quite sure how blowing up a planet would prevent the fleets from joining...)
Space is big (and three dimensional, unlike practically all 40k maps), so due to destruction of one of the few biomass rich planets - the only place to where both fleets would be attracted among the empty vastness - they could very well miss each other?

MajorWesJanson
12-01-2014, 01:44
It's also nice to see most of the FW nid models get callouts in the fluff- A quick glancethrough at the store and I saw Meiotic spores, Harridans, and Malanthropes.

Nazguire
12-01-2014, 06:45
The idea of Tyranids having body guards and special characters like the Swarm Lord has always bugged me. I can very well see random mutations and creatures around the board being used and forgotten about, like the Parasite or Red Terror. But a singular 'individual' monster that dictates to even other Hive Tyrants and is able to pop up at any Hive Fleet in its hour of biomass fuelled need has always vexed me.

El_Machinae
12-01-2014, 13:26
It irritates me that they just wouldn't spawn a ton of them. Why make Zoanthorpes if you can make Dooms?

Plague Lord
12-01-2014, 14:21
It irritates me that they just wouldn't spawn a ton of them. Why make Zoanthorpes if you can make Dooms?

Because it was a freak occurance. A last moment surge of brilliance right before death. And no other hive fleet even knows of the existance of the doom because it died with the craftworld...

ryng_sting
12-01-2014, 16:05
As at last edition, no one knew what became of the Doom - save that it wasn't there when the demons and Grey Knights turned up.

soultaker87
13-01-2014, 15:01
Calgar finally gets his revenge on the swarmlord on Ichar IV.

The_NightBringer
13-01-2014, 16:14
Did the Tyranids' method of FTL travel receive any change; or are they still moving around with Narwhals?

Retrospectus
13-01-2014, 16:38
Did the Tyranids' method of FTL travel receive any change; or are they still moving around with Narwhals?

every time someone brings up the narwhals I can't help but picture teams of earth Narwhals tied to the hive ships like reindeer pulling them along

SpanielBear
14-01-2014, 02:15
Rudolph the red-horned Narwhal...

Iron_Lord
14-01-2014, 14:36
Calgar finally gets his revenge on the swarmlord on Ichar IV.

I think that predates the codex somewhat- being established in a Swarmlord article in WD when the model first came out.

daveNYC
14-01-2014, 16:32
The idea of Tyranids having body guards and special characters like the Swarm Lord has always bugged me. I can very well see random mutations and creatures around the board being used and forgotten about, like the Parasite or Red Terror. But a singular 'individual' monster that dictates to even other Hive Tyrants and is able to pop up at any Hive Fleet in its hour of biomass fuelled need has always vexed me.

How about bio-artifacts? As if there's a room on a hive ship filled with jars containing the various high-end squishy bits, and every so often the hive mind decides that this battle could use some extra spark and slaps the bit into one of its critters.

Nazguire
15-01-2014, 12:01
High end squishy bits.

i just pictured a Hive Tyrant with fully sick rims and a whale tail spoiler.

OrganicHamster
15-01-2014, 14:19
Did anyone else notice the bit where Tyranids ate some Grey Knights, meaning they now have The Emperor's magic geneseed.

Balerion
15-01-2014, 15:34
Narvhals are not mentioned anywhere in the book, though several references remain to the Tyranids slow. hibernation-based interstellar travel.